Light-O-Rama Forums

New to LOR considering pixels

Randy_J

I am new to doing controlled lights but have been thinking about it for several years. What I am considering is going with all pixels. Starting in the new year and getting ready for next season. I am thinking of outlining the house and maybe some arches and a few pixel trees. Am I biting off more than I should chew. I realize I will need a few controllers to help keep the runs shorter, but is this reasonable to put togather for a first year? I am a industrial electrician so the wireing doesn't scare me but I am not real great at computers. 

Randy

Randy -

You'll have the power end of this down easy. But there is a lot more to it that just electricity. The most time consuming part for me was learning the software (I'm a geek, have been doing this for 11 years, and still learning new stuff), and the artsy part of sequencing the lights. If you are technically inclined, I think you'll be able to pull off your first year all pixel show. I'd start planning the layout now, and download the software to start playing with it. Figure out where everything will go on the physical layout, and get comfortable using the software. Get all your props set up. Set up a strip next to your computer so you can play with different effects as you're working on the sequences during the year. Lots of work to do, so get going!

Good luck!

D.T.

DownTown-

Thanks for the response. That is about what I was thinking. I know there will be a steep learning curve, and the first year might not be the most cohesive of all time. I have been looking at a few brands of controllers but get worried about mixing and matching them and the software. That makes me think that I might be best off doing the LOR controllers and software to hopefully reduce the pitfalls. And source the LEDs else ware. I can't wait to get started but think I will start after Christmas as I won't have time to play till then anyway.

Randy