Light-O-Rama Forums

Up and Running

Dglass4321

After weeks of stringing lights and building my tree I am up and running.  We went live at 5:00PM on Thanksgiving.  I have to admit I am disappointed about some of the show.  My mega tree didn't turn out as good as I had hopped.  My problem is that I have a narrow lot so at times, I've got layering that makes some of the action confusing.  That is something I'll need to work on next year.  Also I wasn't too happy with some of my sequences but I think that is an easy fix.  Now I'm working on my video. 

If anyone is in So CA and wants to stop by, I'd appreciate some input.  I live at 1350 N Euclid in Upland.

Merry Christmas!

As picky as WE are about our shows, rest assured that the folks coming by to look will be wide-eyed, appreciative and put into the holiday spirit!

As for me, this year I put our inflatables in a new spot and I HATED them in the new spot and quickly had to move some things around to put them in other places.  But I'll bet no one coming by would have noticed anything amiss if I had left them.

Congrats on going live!

Hey and Hi Dglass4321. Welcome to the insanity(and it will drive you insane:blink:) I live in Montclair so I'm just right around the corner from you. I'll for sure come and check out your display. There is another gentleman K6ccc on the forum here who lives close by. He is a treasure trove of information and is always willing to help. Look him up if you need help. Here is a link to my display with all the general info you'll need if you want to swing by as well. Good luck this season!!!

http://www.christmaslightfinder.com/display.php?ID=2120 

Dglass4321,

Hi! We are truly our own worst critics as humans. We think that because something didn't turn out the way we desired, it devalues the thing. Obviously, this is not the case. You've spent a great deal of time and energy putting this all together, you should give yourself much more credit. It's one thing for someone to be telling you these kinds of edits as feedback and another thing to think about them yourself. The reason you point out the things that went wrong is because you know your show better than any passersby could. Only we in this community truly understand the amount of frustration and anger one could have in this time when the show doesn't turn out the way we expected.

TL;DR: Think about the good things in life.

Thanks for the replies.  I guess I am a little too critical because the people who have come by sure seem to enjoy the show.  I even got one guy applauding one night!  I do find it kind of interesting to see the progression in style from my first sequence to the last one.  I was very proud of my first completed sequence and now I see it needs some work.  I'm already thinking about music for next year.  I do need more than the 16 songs I've got, it seemed like a lot when I started but now the repeats are too often.  

Again, thanks for the replies and encouragement.

• The topic was locked