Light-O-Rama Forums

Help with Mega Tree

Chrisgeoguy

I know it is late...and I already have my Mega Tree up...but I am still struggling with how it is setup, and how full it will be. 

I have a 10 Pole, with a Standard hook head, and a 2ft star, C5 Lights (Multi Color and White) 70 Lights per strand (32 strands 16 Color, 16 White)

I am only doing a half tree...and have 16 stakes that are 9.5 inches apart with a 4ft Radius.  

I would like to do 16 channels, but I am lost when it comes to stringing the lights up and would like some help...I can adjust or take notes for next year...The strands are long enough, but I have a lot of extra after going from the stake to the hook head, should I get a high count of lights for a longer strand.  I like the shape of the tree...skinnier.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  

Overall I would like it fuller...I have read multiple posts, and blogs...still having issues!

Thanks for your tips and suggestions. 

Chris

A picture of it would greatly help.

I would string from the top and then go down. Anything extra can be laying towards the center pole. For this year anyways.

Again, a picture would be nice to see what you have in place.

Tom

3 hours ago, Santas Helper said:

Dang, just hit my 4,000th post. :)

Well, now 4001. :lol:

I'm outta likes again, so quoting. 

(&congrats)

3 hours ago, Chrisgeoguy said:

..... I would like to do 16 channels, but I am lost when it comes to stringing the lights up and would like some help......Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated......

This can help.

http://www.altoonalights.com/mega/mega_calc.php

• Like 1

Hi Chris,

A little geometry here for next year: you are basically making 16 right triangles.

The vertical is side a, the ground length or radius is side b, the light strand is the hypotenuse side c.

For any right triangle a2 + b2 = c2   

for example  a 10' tall tree (side a) with 12' light strands (side c) and we want to find the ground length (side b ) looks like:  

10+ b2 = 122 which is  100 + b2 =144 then b2 = 144 -100 then b2 = 44 finally b = the square root of 44 (roughly 6.6 feet)

You can figure out any of the three sides given any two.

Personally I just hang the top of the tree and fan out the strands and ground stake them.

Good luck!!

• Like 1

On 11/29/2016 at 11:11 AM, LightssOnCedar said:

Hi Chris,

A little geometry here for next year: you are basically making 16 right triangles.

The vertical is side a, the ground length or radius is side b, the light strand is the hypotenuse side c.

For any right triangle a2 + b2 = c2   

for example  a 10' tall tree (side a) with 12' light strands (side c) and we want to find the ground length (side b ) looks like:  

10+ b2 = 122 which is  100 + b2 =144 then b2 = 144 -100 then b2 = 44 finally b = the square root of 44 (roughly 6.6 feet)

You can figure out any of the three sides given any two.

Personally I just hang the top of the tree and fan out the strands and ground stake them.

Good luck!!

Sounds like a plan...Math isn't my strongest subject.  Thank you for the feedback!  

On 11/27/2016 at 8:02 PM, Santas Helper said:

A picture of it would greatly help.

I would string from the top and then go down. Anything extra can be laying towards the center pole. For this year anyways.

Again, a picture would be nice to see what you have in place.

Tom

Here is a link to last's years tree...it was static.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2eYvLk08K5EeGFjUTR2YWhrbHNWYnMxd1lfT2ZyMmE3d044/view?usp=sharing

Took down what I had up and came up with this setup....cords were off the ground, and was able to make it 360...I was happily surpised how full it looked after getting it up and see it light at night.  Those photos to come once I finish!

Thanks again for the help!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2eYvLk08K5EbzJRQndlYVpma2I3ODVHMHVYcGZfVDZkbUR3

Chris, that's exactly what I did a few years ago before my mega tree tower grew. :) 

Had extra length and attached them inwards.

19 minutes ago, Santas Helper said:

before my mega tree tower grew. :) 

Santa's Helper sprinkled a little magic feed corn at the base of his tower....makes reindeer fly and mega tree towers grow...(the second part wasn't mentioned in " Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town") 

Edited by Need more lights