Light-O-Rama Forums

HolidayCoro 27 channel dumb controller

Brian Dietrich

I have ran into an issue that is probably simple to fix, but I have ran out answers or tests to make it right.

Last year I ran 4 LOR controllers, 1-AlphaPix 4 with a HC 27-channel dumb controller wired into the AlphaPix RJ45 adapter.  Had no issues, everything worked fine.  This year I added 3 more AlphaPix controllers and I changed the DMX universe for the dumb controller from 6 to 14.  I am running a total of 16 universes 1-16  I have everything hooked up and the dumb controller is not responding to sequences.  I updated the LOR Network Preferences to the new Universe (adapter NONE, Protocol Raw DMX), updated the AlphaPix controller RJ45 Universe on-line, and have the correct universe in the sequences.  I have tested the dumb controller with the #10 dip switch and all lights work.  The red light on the controller is blinking, stating it is receiving data. 

I think my problem is the dip switch setting, but I am unsure how to determine what to set it to.  The dip switch is set to 2, binary code 010000000 (same as last year). 

I would really appreciate any advise on my problem.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Brian

On the Alphapix you need to assign the DMX output to a "Universe". You stated that you changed it from 6 to 14. So, I'm assuming you changed the Alphapix DMX output to "14" through the online UI (or if not you'll need to) Now, the 27 channel controller you connect to the DMX output "14" and you set the starting channel to 1 (100000000). If you have multiple 27 channel controllers (like I do) you can run them in the same universe. Each one has 27 channels. So the first DMX controller would be set to a start channel of 1, then the next one would be set to 28, and the next 55....and so on. But to keep them in the same universe you'll need to run a Cat5 to the DMX input and outputs of each 27 channel controller. 

Thanks for the response.  I reset the dip switch to 100000000 rechecked all the settings (AlphaPix is set to Universe 14 "enabled" and Network Preferences set to Universe 14 in LOR "Raw DMX"), the sequence editor RGB light settings are set to DMX, Universe 14, starting channel 1.  Tested the lights, same result.  Still getting the blinking red light on the dumb controller stating it is receiving data, but no lights.  Is there anything else you can think of that I might check?

Thanks,

Brian

Make sure that in the Network Preferences that Universe 14 is set to the same IP address as the Alphapix.  In your sequence ensure your RGB channels are set correctly.  The first channel is 1-3, the next 4-6, the next 7-9 etc.... Now I think I see your problem.  In the Network Preferences settings click on the DMX tab then double click on universe 14. If your seeing "raw DMX"  you must have "use adapter"  checked.  DON'T unless your running the 27 channel controller through a USB adapter.  But.. Your not.  Your running through the Alphapix.  Soooooo,  click on "use E1.31" then under the IP address "specify"  put in the IP address you assigned the Alphapix... 

BMurray,

Make sense to me.  I am currently set up in Network Preferences with no adapter and Raw DMX.  I just shut down my show for the night and will be out of town until Friday.  I will reset to the E1.31 network when I return.  I am really excited and hope this works.  I appreciate your input and assistance.

I'll keep you updated after I make the changes.  Thanks so much again.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

BMurray,

Finally got a day without rain.  Changed the IP address and everything worked correctly.

Thanks for your help.

A very Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Thanks again.

Brian