Light-O-Rama Forums

Super new

Erl2015

Hi all! I tried searching for this but couldn't find what I needed to know. Last year we considered buying lightorama for my then 12 year old as a Christmas gift. For a variety of reasons we didn't and now we are considering again. If we buy the starter package - where does the computer go? Will it need to be connected by a wire to the controllers outside or does that happen wirelessly?  Trying to figure out the logistics of this before diving in... thanks!

ERL2015

It connects both ways, with the starter package it would have to be connected from PC thru RS485 connector to cat 5 cable to the controller, if you want to go wireless then you would have to purchase 2 ELL's and connect wireless.

Good Luck, He'll love it, Keith

You could also use a show director to run the show, look for the ShowTime Central, that's a director and FM transmitter in one box. 

You can also use phone cable instead of Cat5.  I actually use a flat phone line for my run to my first controller because I can slide it between the panes of the storm window and still close it with pretty much no gap.

38 minutes ago, Brian Mitchell said:

You can also use phone cable instead of Cat5.  I actually use a flat phone line for my run to my first controller because I can slide it between the panes of the storm window and still close it with pretty much no gap.

You know they make flat cat5e cable to do the same thing, just saying.  :D

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-30-Feet-Ethernet-Network-109554/dp/B00ACR5XB2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1480255069&sr=8-3&keywords=flat+cat5e

Edited by Mr. P

Now thats smart thinking! Let the 12 year old diball of the work, sit back and enjoy.

Now you got me thinking..., I have 8 and 6 years to wait on that, but with the technology and the learning curve it may be easier on my brain housing group.

Nice

JR

11 hours ago, Erl2015 said:

If we buy the starter package - where does the computer go? Will it need to be connected by a wire to the controllers outside or does that happen wirelessly?...

Don't have to use the PC if you don't want. I use the miniDirector with the show on a SD Card. Works great and everything is outside. Check this link out for the various setup options:

http://www1.lightorama.com/typical-setups/

Good luck