Light-O-Rama Forums

Funny comments from guests

ItsMeBobO

Just now, Randy said:

So last night I had this experience that I think takes the cake in running a display for 11 years...

I'm standing next to our donation box, which is right next to a table that has information on it about our Autism charity, as well as a bunch of candy canes and chocolate treats that we give out to the kids...

I'm watching the lights, but out of the corner of my eye I spot this 7 or 8 year old boy walking in my direction from across the street.  I turn to look at him, and I see that he has what looks like a folded up bill in his hand.  I'm guessing his Mom or Dad gave him the money for our donation box...So as he approaches, he is holding out the money in front of him and I raise the lid on our donation box as he gets closer and thank him...He stops about a foot from the  donation box and says "I think I'll keep it" , as he slides the bill into his pocket.  Then he eyes the candy on the table next to me and says, "but I will take some candy"....

I started laughing and said "Really???"  He grabbed a couple of candy canes, turned around, and was walking back across the street...There were some other people nearby, so I didn't say what I was really thinking about him...If he wants the candy that bad, go for it...

Later, I thought he would probably grow up to be the type of kid that would take the tip off the table at a restaurant as the family was leaving....Geez.....

Well they (parents) start them young these days.

Unrelated to the subject last weekend my 2 sons and their cousin had their bday parties together. We had about 75 people at a local facility where we rented 2 rooms. While we were setting up a 5-6 year old came right in to get a balloon. I asked my wife if she knew the child and she said no. I was going to give him a balloon anyway and send him away but before I turned around he grabbed a party favor bag and ran.

He was too little for me to say anything to him but I kept watched for his parents. Mind you it wasn't about the money, its about the upbringing. At no time in the 45 mins prior to our event did I see any one not even an adult with the child. He just kept wondering around. It is a play place that you have to get through locked gates and they put an IR ink mark on your arm. If a child and adult do not match up, they don't leave.

My thinking is that the parents dropped him off and went Christmas shopping.

It then got busy with our party so I don't have any idea what happened to him. In hindsight I should have kept him at our party so the parents would have had to answer,

I wonder what they would have done if he walked up to them with a party bag he didn't get from them?

Last night a teenage girl by herself had the radio so loud I could clearly hear it inside my house.  This was at 11:20pm and I was concerned about the neighbors complaining.  I made my way outside and walked over and nicely asked her to lower the volume.  She yelled back "I'm just trying to enjoy it!" and drove off after maybe 10 seconds.   Quiet hours were not registering for this one.

• 1 year later...

My brother once told a friend that "We have a man that sits in our basement and flips tons of light switches on and off really fast" 

• 4 weeks later...

I have been doing this in one way or another for a long time.  10yrs.. not at first with LOR... when I discovered this... pure glee.  But I had those MIDI players etc...  

So, last year, I am ramping up to my first RBG show... and doing like many years, ramping up my halloween and  Christmas display.

My daughter after watching me wiring, soldering, programming for months, every evening... comes up to me and says:

"Dad... can we just have normal lights this year?"  

I of course am confused by the question, that I could have a Judas in my ranks... I ask... "You mean like a few lights on the roof? No music, no Fun stuff?"

She said "Yeah those other houses lights are really good."

I am putting 10 floods in her window this year.

13 minutes ago, Septon said:

I have been doing this in one way or another for a long time.  10yrs.. not at first with LOR... when I discovered this... pure glee.  But I had those MIDI players etc...  

So, last year, I am ramping up to my first RBG show... and doing like many years, ramping up my halloween and  Christmas display.

My daughter after watching me wiring, soldering, programming for months, every evening... comes up to me and says:

"Dad... can we just have normal lights this year?"  

I of course am confused by the question, that I could have a Judas in my ranks... I ask... "You mean like a few lights on the roof? No music, no Fun stuff?"

She said "Yeah those other houses lights are really good."

I am putting 10 floods in her window this year.

Depending on her age and/or belief you can tell her what I tell my lil ones when they ask “why it takes a year to put up lights”? My reply. “ if Santa can’t see the house flying over he won’t leave anything under the tree”.

the top of my CCR tree is in their br window.

At 5 and 7 they really don’t have a good concept of time on the big scale.

JR

• The topic was locked