Light-O-Rama Forums

Funny comments from guests

ItsMeBobO

Ive been thinking about this one since last night and I still have no conclusion.     This guy rolls down his window and blurts out 'are there any OTHER synchronized shows around here?'  No thank you or great show or anything first. He said it so fast I am not totally sure he emphasized OTHER.  Then he said something about the music which seemed to be another dis.  Something like another show might  have better music.   I say there are links to other shows on the website to which he replies "its out of date, the ones we tried are not open".  So...a third complaint out of his mouth.  I felt compelled to say that I don't control what other shows do or the accuracy of those sites.  One more try on my part to redeem this guy so I hold up my basket of candy canes and he takes seven.. yes seven explaining there are others at home and does not drop any donation in.   Oy...thank goodness for the many other nice people who stop by to make up for that miserable soul. 

Long story here. Some needed information first. My wifes name is Eugenia, a lot of people call her Gina. So it is opening night, we always have a few fires going and pass out hot chocolate and cookies. Lots of people will come up to the fire and chat. My Mom, 95 years old, was sitting at the fire watching the display. This lady walks up and engages her in a conversation about the lights. My Mom as all Moms do want to brag on there children, tells the lady that her son was the one who did the display and points over at me. The lady says, "Oh, your son must be a genius". My Mom reply's, "No, Gina's in the house". I just stood there shaking my head pretending I never heard a word. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, dougd said:

Long story here. Some needed information first. My wifes name is Eugenia, a lot of people call her Gina. So it is opening night, we always have a few fires going and pass out hot chocolate and cookies. Lots of people will come up to the fire and chat. My Mom, 95 years old, was sitting at the fire watching the display. This lady walks up and engages her in a conversation about the lights. My Mom as all Moms do want to brag on there children, tells the lady that her son was the one who did the display and points over at me. The lady says, "Oh, your son must be a genius". My Mom reply's, "No, Gina's in the house". I just stood there shaking my head pretending I never heard a word. 

True or not - good stuff. 

• 2 weeks later...

Another first tonight.   A car was parked right in the middle of the view of others.  I took the highly unusual step of stopping the music to dead air using the sound mixer board.  Then I played a whisper request to notice others and not stop in front of them.  The car didn't move!   I  know it was broadcast.  I had to go out there and gave them the hitchhike thumb to move which they did immediately.   That took a lot of nerve to let everyone hear that you are being singled out to move and stay put anyway. 

15 minutes ago, ItsMeBobO said:

Another first tonight.   A car was parked right in the middle of the view of others.  I took the highly unusual step of stopping the music to dead air using the sound mixer board.  Then I played a whisper request to notice others and not stop in front of them.  The car didn't move!   I  know it was broadcast.  I had to go out there and gave them the hitchhike thumb to move which they did immediately.   That took a lot of nerve to let everyone hear that you are being singled out to move and stay put anyway. 

Must have been the same person that you posted about on December 8th that was tuned to some other station.

My response to everyone after the thousands of questions I have received this year in person and facebook " ITS CHRISTMAS MAGIC"  pretty much covers all questions  :-)

Got one for you. A lady asked me last night "What is the name of your radio station because I never heard of this station before and do you play only Christmas music year round?

It's was getting pretty late so the only answer I could think of was yes it's the only music that matches my light display.:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Maybe my neighbors are just boring but everyone I've talked to just asks a few questions about how I do it, and they all tune to the radio station no problem.. I had one woman ask "do the lights go to any song?" which obviously meant she didn't understand phrasing in the choreography sense, because if it was auto programmed to any song every sequence would look identical. This has been a cool experience so far this year. I've met a few new neighbors through it and everyone here loves the display and they always compliment me/the display when they drive by. Guess it shows I'm in a good neighborhood.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Must have been the same person that you posted about on December 8th that was tuned to some other station.

Sadly that break cant be given to her.   I had talked with this woman and young son in the front seat when they arrived and were further down the hill.  She took candy canes, gave me the change from her purse and had the radio tuned correctly.   I supposed they could have turned down the radio to watch a video of a song from my website, while they blocked the view.     We had rain last night but it was still very busy. Its much more fun to be the happy greeter than the traffic cop.

Guest:  ...  <a bunch of comments on the display and elements> ...We've been coming to see your display for the past five years.  How long have you been doing the lights?

Me:  This is our eleventh year

Guest:  Oh man, we missed six years of it!

Car pulls up into driveway woman gets out walks up to me says " Hi, do you know where we can go to see christmas lights? I said " I'm sorry, what do you mean?" " where do you go to see christmas lights?" I stood in awe, slowly glanced over to my display 2 feet from me with tens of thousands of blinky flashy color changing lights....and point and say " Uh.....we go there..." she says " oh, that's pretty, but where would you go?".......blank stare......"Uh I go here" would you and your kids like to get out and come watch? "Does it dance with the music?" ( understand I have a pa system outside and we are having to speak loudly to hear each other lol) I guess she finally "got it" and got her kiddos and down about 30 minutes watching the show. Blew my mind. Maybe she didn't notice? Or was looking for another place to go drive by a bunch of houses lol. She did say thank you and they had a good time.

Edited by Kevowatts
  • Like 1

Tonight I saw a large pickup truck jammed with people.  The back window went down and I saw a huge bucket popcorn.  It was a family outing like going to the drive in.  Best laugh of the night. 

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 9:51 AM, gsmith37064 said:

WOW... are you guys serious? I should not be surprised by this but wow... just wow.

When i see a sign that says "tune to" my little brain clicks and forces the old hand to the radio dial.

Im just reading this, you have to remember though, most of these young drivers have never seen a "dial". If its not on their cell they don't know what to do.

I have had people ask me about tuning in while they are parked right in fron of my blue and soft white LED sign, even my best friend retire Marine asked and I sent him atext as well as him parking directly in front of my sign. He replied "oh last time I saw it, it was orange" Halloween!

Too funny

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 8:02 AM, Vince4xmas said:

I am amazed how many people do not understand they need to tune in their radio. I have multiple signs up showing the FM channel. 

They think I am just randomly blinking lights and are unaware they are sequenced to a radio station they can listen to.

When I ask "Did you tune in your radio to listen to the lights?" I get a blank stare.

Well if you think they are amazed by all of the "non correlated " flashing just wait until next year when they discover the radio.

Yes its Christmas morning and I am still up reading the funny old posts.

Merry Christmas

JR

4 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Yes its Christmas morning and I am still up reading the funny old posts.

Santa's waiting for you to hit the hay JR. He needs to drop off the last of his presents!

Merry Christmas my friend!

I guess I went to sleep about an hour before you posted this. You were also right my nest friend brought over 2 more gifts for my boys. Luckily he texted me first because normally someone/ anyone coming down my driveway at 3:00 am wouldn't be very welcomed.

Merry Christmas also. This year we will have to pick each others brains. Franklin is not too far from the Ham. LOL

BTW- I like the lights around your front door. The wife said we could do something similar next year.

JR

This story is quite a few years old, one year when the display was at my parents house it was Christmas Eve, my parents were loading up gifts in their car to head to my aunts for Christmas Eve. Some lady pulls in the driveway, gets out of her car and walks in the house, my mom "excuse me but what are you doing?", "I'm coming in to get my free gifts", "what free gifts?", "the free gifts that your getting", "this is my house, get out". My mom is not what your would call a patient woman. I swear to this day that the lady is lucky she didn't leave with a black eye lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So last night I had this experience that I think takes the cake in running a display for 11 years...

I'm standing next to our donation box, which is right next to a table that has information on it about our Autism charity, as well as a bunch of candy canes and chocolate treats that we give out to the kids...

I'm watching the lights, but out of the corner of my eye I spot this 7 or 8 year old boy walking in my direction from across the street.  I turn to look at him, and I see that he has what looks like a folded up bill in his hand.  I'm guessing his Mom or Dad gave him the money for our donation box...So as he approaches, he is holding out the money in front of him and I raise the lid on our donation box as he gets closer and thank him...He stops about a foot from the  donation box and says "I think I'll keep it" , as he slides the bill into his pocket.  Then he eyes the candy on the table next to me and says, "but I will take some candy"....

I started laughing and said "Really???"  He grabbed a couple of candy canes, turned around, and was walking back across the street...There were some other people nearby, so I didn't say what I was really thinking about him...If he wants the candy that bad, go for it...

Later, I thought he would probably grow up to be the type of kid that would take the tip off the table at a restaurant as the family was leaving....Geez.....

• Like 1

Yep, sometimes you just gotta throw up your arms and shrug your shoulder. First and foremost I have to admit we didn't put out a Christmas display this year. But a guy drives past and asks my wife if we're going to do a Christmas show, she says no, he responds that's too bad because I like your Christmas display, but I didn't like your Halloween display this year, although I liked what you put up last year. I looked at her like she was goofy because this years Halloween display was "exactly" the same display as last year. Same songs, same music, same everything. Go figure.