Light-O-Rama Forums
ItsMeBobO

Funny comments from guests

57 minutes ago, Vince4xmas said:

I am amazed how many people do not understand they need to tune in their radio. I have multiple signs up showing the FM channel. 

They think I am just randomly blinking lights and are unaware they are sequenced to a radio station they can listen to.

When I ask "Did you tune in your radio to listen to the lights?" I get a blank stare.

I am anticipating that this year. It is the first year I am using an FM transmitter.

1 hour ago, Vince4xmas said:

I am amazed how many people do not understand they need to tune in their radio. I have multiple signs up showing the FM channel. 

They think I am just randomly blinking lights and are unaware they are sequenced to a radio station they can listen to.

When I ask "Did you tune in your radio to listen to the lights?" I get a blank stare.

I've experienced that too!  For the past few years, my Tune To signs just said "Tune 101.5".  I built new signs this year that say "Listen to the lights  Tune to 101.5 FM".  Hopefully more people will figure it out.  During the announcement section at the beginning of each show cycle, the frequency gets displayed on the pixel tree also.

WOW... are you guys serious? I should not be surprised by this but wow... just wow.

When i see a sign that says "tune to" my little brain clicks and forces the old hand to the radio dial.

• Like 1

WOW... are you guys serious? I should not be surprised by this but wow... just wow.

When i see a sign that says "tune to" my little brain clicks and forces the old hand to the radio dial.

A few years ago i had a couple in a convertible watching and listening to a different station. I suggested if he tune to my station he could see the lights syncd to the music. He replied indignantly that he liked his station better.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ItsMeBobO said:

A few years ago i had a couple in a convertible watching and listening to a different station. I suggested if he tune to my station he could see the lights syncd to the music. He replied indignantly that he liked his station better.

I was testing lights last night and my laptop speakers were the only source of music. My daughter pulled in and started cranking up some hip hop crap on her stereo and said "Dad! the lights a synced to this song too!" (face palm)

2 hours ago, ItsMeBobO said:

Now that's funny.....LOL!

My favorite has to be, "What station do I tune to?"

Me: "It's on the sign."

Couple of years ago someone asked me what the "Tune To" meant. <Insert head banging on a wall here.>

I've had several people stop and ask about my mini trees and where to get them before I even finished decorating.  That magic moment when they realize that I had to wrap all 12 by hand and the enthusiasm disappears. lol

Maybe I should quit worrying about sequences and start the assembly line to sell mini trees!

Edited by Sctiger

On 11/28/2016 at 7:36 PM, Ebuechner said:

Can anybody loan me some blinker fluid I think I ran out.  High definition stuff if you can it works better with the LEDs. 

Just don't use orange extension cords, I hear they use twice the amount of electric as the green ones do!

Gary

10 hours ago, Gary N said:

Just don't use orange extension cords, I hear they use twice the amount of electric as the green ones do!

Gary

No never orange chords during Christmas (it washes out the color of the lights).   only on Halloween where it's okay to have that orange hue.  I found a guy who sells blinker fluid, even the synthetic.

Are you going to have music this year?

(No, I'm going to whistle, sing and clap my hands to the lights and then ask strangers passing by to take over when I get tired)

When are you going to have your lights on, my three daughters keep asking.

I think it was a compliment?  Answered: December 1st, always December 1st.

Overheard before we answered the door at Halloween:  This is the house that over does it at Christmas!

Open our door and said, "So, you think this is the house that over does it at Christmas?  Dead silence from 5 kids standing there. (Must of asked parents to put up lights and instead were told that we are the house that over does it at Christmas.  Out of the mouths of babes.)

Last year about 4:30pm a boy was standing across the street from our house with his Grandparents.  We were outside adjusting our lights, I kept hearing "move", "move" louder and louder.  The little boy thought if he told the lights to "move" they would come on.  I yelled out from the other side of the house, "Not until 6:00 o'clock", then they walked away.

Why are you starting to put up your lights so early?  (from a person who just moved into our neighborhood from China and has not seen our display)

Answer:  It's a big display, you will see why we start so early later on.

Our display is beautifully decorated for daytime viewing too.  When people tell me it looks good, I ask them if they have seen it at night.  Answer:  "No"  

I'm Las Vegas baby, you're missing the light show.

My kids specifically ask to come to your house at Halloween for your goodie bags, they call your house the "Candy House" ( no LOR at Halloween, just minimal decor) 

So, I ask: "Do you come here because of our Christmas display?"  Reply: "No, never seen it."  Answer:  "That is what our house is actually known for."

Facebook is the worst. Facebook seemed like the logical choice moving forward a few years back instead of a web page. Interesting side note, I let my domain go, I had been paying 8 dollars a year, a few months back I was thinking about it, maybe using it again, cost now $4,300. Anyways, back to Facebook, every bit of information you need to view my display is right there, most of the stuff is in the header picture. Every night messages,

"is the display going tonight?",  Answer, no I do all this work to not have the display on every night.

"What time is the display running tonight?", Answer, the times the display is running was 2 inches away from the message button.

"Where are you located?, We have a google map button on the page for petes sake.

Well those are the answers is want to give, unfortunately I am forced to give the polite answer.

• Like 1

New comment I had not heard before 

"Do you get an income stream from this?"   This seems like a business to me.    I said I do charge money for marriage proposals but so far no one has asked. 

On 11/28/2016 at 6:00 PM, Dcroc said:

"Clapper"......I'm dyin' here!

Anyone else see Deck the Halls with Danny DeVito flipping all those switches, levers, and knobs while his lights were running?  I actually have had people ask me if I get tired by the end of the night, and who covers me during bathroom breaks.

That would be something to setup a fake set of switches, levers and knobs one year and act like I am busy controlling all the lights.

• Like 1

Three cars watching for a while tonight so I go outside with candy canes.   This lady was saying amazing ! How do you make it jump like that?   blah blah.  I could hear and see her dial clearly she was not tuned to my station!  I say  the lights are synchronized to the music on 90.1     Quoting " oh yeah  we will get to that in a bit for now we are just watching the lights"    No where to go from there so I  MC&HNY her and move to the next car thinking ...  cant wait to post that one!   She made the news and doesn't have a clue.

Edited by ItsMeBobO
  • Like 2

Ive been thinking about this one since last night and I still have no conclusion.     This guy rolls down his window and blurts out 'are there any OTHER synchronized shows around here?'  No thank you or great show or anything first. He said it so fast I am not totally sure he emphasized OTHER.  Then he said something about the music which seemed to be another dis.  Something like another show might  have better music.   I say there are links to other shows on the website to which he replies "its out of date, the ones we tried are not open".  So...a third complaint out of his mouth.  I felt compelled to say that I don't control what other shows do or the accuracy of those sites.  One more try on my part to redeem this guy so I hold up my basket of candy canes and he takes seven.. yes seven explaining there are others at home and does not drop any donation in.   Oy...thank goodness for the many other nice people who stop by to make up for that miserable soul. 

Long story here. Some needed information first. My wifes name is Eugenia, a lot of people call her Gina. So it is opening night, we always have a few fires going and pass out hot chocolate and cookies. Lots of people will come up to the fire and chat. My Mom, 95 years old, was sitting at the fire watching the display. This lady walks up and engages her in a conversation about the lights. My Mom as all Moms do want to brag on there children, tells the lady that her son was the one who did the display and points over at me. The lady says, "Oh, your son must be a genius". My Mom reply's, "No, Gina's in the house". I just stood there shaking my head pretending I never heard a word. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, dougd said:

Long story here. Some needed information first. My wifes name is Eugenia, a lot of people call her Gina. So it is opening night, we always have a few fires going and pass out hot chocolate and cookies. Lots of people will come up to the fire and chat. My Mom, 95 years old, was sitting at the fire watching the display. This lady walks up and engages her in a conversation about the lights. My Mom as all Moms do want to brag on there children, tells the lady that her son was the one who did the display and points over at me. The lady says, "Oh, your son must be a genius". My Mom reply's, "No, Gina's in the house". I just stood there shaking my head pretending I never heard a word. 

True or not - good stuff. 

Another first tonight.   A car was parked right in the middle of the view of others.  I took the highly unusual step of stopping the music to dead air using the sound mixer board.  Then I played a whisper request to notice others and not stop in front of them.  The car didn't move!   I  know it was broadcast.  I had to go out there and gave them the hitchhike thumb to move which they did immediately.   That took a lot of nerve to let everyone hear that you are being singled out to move and stay put anyway. 

15 minutes ago, ItsMeBobO said:

Another first tonight.   A car was parked right in the middle of the view of others.  I took the highly unusual step of stopping the music to dead air using the sound mixer board.  Then I played a whisper request to notice others and not stop in front of them.  The car didn't move!   I  know it was broadcast.  I had to go out there and gave them the hitchhike thumb to move which they did immediately.   That took a lot of nerve to let everyone hear that you are being singled out to move and stay put anyway. 

Must have been the same person that you posted about on December 8th that was tuned to some other station.

My response to everyone after the thousands of questions I have received this year in person and facebook " ITS CHRISTMAS MAGIC"  pretty much covers all questions  :-)

Got one for you. A lady asked me last night "What is the name of your radio station because I never heard of this station before and do you play only Christmas music year round?

It's was getting pretty late so the only answer I could think of was yes it's the only music that matches my light display.:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Maybe my neighbors are just boring but everyone I've talked to just asks a few questions about how I do it, and they all tune to the radio station no problem.. I had one woman ask "do the lights go to any song?" which obviously meant she didn't understand phrasing in the choreography sense, because if it was auto programmed to any song every sequence would look identical. This has been a cool experience so far this year. I've met a few new neighbors through it and everyone here loves the display and they always compliment me/the display when they drive by. Guess it shows I'm in a good neighborhood.

• Like 1