Light-O-Rama Forums

Using the Pixel Editor with the Pixel Tree Kit

MattBrown

New documentation is available on the Light-O-Rama web site that gives instructions for setting up the Pixel Editor to control one of the new Pixel Tree kits. Please feel free to post any questions about the documentation in this thread.

Documentation is here:

http://www1.lightorama.com/PDF/PEwithPixelTree16x25-RevA.pdf

The Pixel Tree kit is available here:

http://store.lightorama.com/copitrkit.html

Because the Pixel Tree kit uses a Pixie 8D controller, it will also be helpful for anyone using a Pixie controller.

Matt

• Like 1

Thanks for the documentation Matt.  This is what I was looking for in the Box when the Pixel Tree came.  Great Job!

We bought the Pixel Tree kit and can't get it to work  We didn't have the high speed adapter (ordered one coming in today).  It's running off of a MP3 card. I figured since we didn't use the computer we were okay.  Really need some help.

I'm still not having any luck with my tree.  I have it on controller 5 and when try to link it it just says unknown device.  Test it and all the ribbons work.  I'm not sure if I need updates.  Just spent a fortune adding the plug and play tree, flood lights and upgraded software.  Trying to do this on my own because my son isn't here help me since he's in school.  Ready to sell it. I have 19 songs I worked on in pixel editor.  All loaded on my SD card.  Pretty sad looking outside and  my center display is a dead tree.

1 hour ago, Fill in said:

I'm still not having any luck with my tree.  I have it on controller 5 and when try to link it it just says unknown device.  Test it and all the ribbons work.  I'm not sure if I need updates.  Just spent a fortune adding the plug and play tree, flood lights and upgraded software.  Trying to do this on my own because my son isn't here help me since he's in school.  Ready to sell it. I have 19 songs I worked on in pixel editor.  All loaded on my SD card.  Pretty sad looking outside and  my center display is a dead tree.

I would be happy to help you get your lights running. I have sent you a private message (PM). Waiting for your reply.

Matt

An update on my pixel tree.  Matt contacted me right away to help me with the tree.  He took control of my computer and got it up and running.  We thought we had the latest update but didn't.  Not only did Matt help get it going he also showed me a few things on working with LOR.  This was all done on a Saturday night.  Talk about great customer service!!  I love my pixel tree and there's no way I'm selling my tree or any of my LOR components.  Thanks Matt!!

On 12/3/2016 at 7:22 PM, MattBrown said:

I would be happy to help you get your lights running. I have sent you a private message (PM). Waiting for your reply.

Matt

On 12/4/2016 at 10:46 AM, Fill in said:

An update on my pixel tree.  Matt contacted me right away to help me with the tree.  He took control of my computer and got it up and running.  We thought we had the latest update but didn't.  Not only did Matt help get it going he also showed me a few things on working with LOR.  This was all done on a Saturday night.  Talk about great customer service!!  I love my pixel tree and there's no way I'm selling my tree or any of my LOR components.  Thanks Matt!!

Ironically - I'm also in Colorado...but my pixel tree has been up & sitting there, without lights blinking, since November 30th. :)

I'll go create a new post and describe what's happening...I haven't been ON the LOR forums for...years now...and it's refreshing to see a massive amount of engagement over here!

I had to put mine on 2 networks the mini MP3  was not strong enough.  I needed to adapters to run in the USB ports with my computer and then ran the tree on it's own.  The additional issue I had was in in pixel editor I needed to have the tree put on Aux A that was my second network.  It's running great now. Another thing needed was the software update.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Fill in said:

I had to put mine on 2 networks the mini MP3  was not strong enough.  I needed to adapters to run in the USB ports with my computer and then ran the tree on it's own.  The additional issue I had was in in pixel editor I needed to have the tree put on Aux A that was my second network.  It's running great now. Another thing needed was the software update.

So I got my Pixel Tree working when editing directly through the Sequence Editor. (which means I still can't use the Pixel Editor...so far...)
;)

I have a 3rd party sequence...and it looks like parts of the pixel tree itself are a bit slow to respond/lagging. (which would make sense if the mini MP3 Director isn't fast enough to keep up with 4 LOR controllers plus the 1,200 channels of the pixel tree)

Do you know if it's possible for me to just order a 2nd mini MP3 (because each mini Director only runs a single network) and setup the 2nd network on that other mini Director? (or will the 2 mini Directors have a conflict?)

PS - Wait...are you saying the bigger "mp3 director" (that has 2 networks) wasn't enough for your show? (Above I'm only referring to the "mini Director".  MiniDirector: http://store.lightorama.com/shceadpa.html ...I got this one because it's already in a box and was easy to secure & protect from the weather)

I was told that I needed the G3-MP3 Director which was out of stock to run both the lights, flood lights and tree.  The mini didn't work.  I'm not sure if two minis would work.  Matt Brown would know.  Send him a PM, I'm sure he'll get back to you. My name "Fill In" describes my knowledge.  I'm filling in for my son who programed everything before the pixel tree and is now away at college.

26 minutes ago, Fill in said:

I was told that I needed the G3-MP3 Director which was out of stock to run both the lights, flood lights and tree.  The mini didn't work.  I'm not sure if two minis would work.  Matt Brown would know.  Send him a PM, I'm sure he'll get back to you. My name "Fill In" describes my knowledge.  I'm filling in for my son who programed everything before the pixel tree and is now away at college.

Thank you for all of the info!  That makes sense with you running the flood lights. (which I believe don't work on the LOR network...so you'd need a 2nd network for them.)

The pixel tree is...pretty tricky. (and while it's 1/2 way working...and I'm thrilled to finally have even some bulbs lighting up...it has massively potential to add a lot to the show...and is a huge time sink so far...)

:)

7 hours ago, coachjc said:

That makes sense with you running the flood lights. (which I believe don't work on the LOR network...so you'd need a 2nd network for them.)

Controllers compatible with the enhanced LOR (ELOR) protocol are listed here:

http://www1.lightorama.com/network-speeds/

The only catch is that in order to be compatible, the controller needs to be running the latest LOR firmware.

http://www1.lightorama.com/firmware-updates/

12 hours ago, MattBrown said:

Controllers compatible with the enhanced LOR (ELOR) protocol are listed here:

http://www1.lightorama.com/network-speeds/

The only catch is that in order to be compatible, the controller needs to be running the latest LOR firmware.

http://www1.lightorama.com/firmware-updates/

Hey Matt - which firmware would we use for the Pixel Tree Kit 16x25?

Hey Matt - which firmware would we use for the Pixel Tree Kit 16x25?

The Pixel Tree kit comes with the Pixie 8D controller. The controller is brand new, so no firmware updates are needed.

• Like 1