Light-O-Rama Forums

Snowman Fight

Michael Bryant

Hi All,

I have already posted this on PC with no responce, so I'm hoping for better results here.

Has anyone got a LOR Snowman [highlight= #ffff88]Fight[/highlight] Sequence they wouldn't mind sharing with me? If so, please PM or email me. The LOR _Loop_Sample is not enough.

I'm having a problem getting the arms and snowball movement to look anything like others I have seen in video's.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Attached is my snowman sequence. It may have a minor problem in it - I didn't check it, but I remember fixing a channel or two this year. It should give you an idea how I do it though. This sequnce uses 14 channels as follows:

1-5 Snowballs between 2 snowmen from left to right
6 First Snowman Miss
7 First Snowman Hit
8 Second Snowman Miss
9 Second Snowman Hit
10 Both Snowman outlines
11 First Snowman arm back
12 First Snowman arm forward
13 Second Snowman arm back
14 Second Snowman arm forward

I don't know if I have any pics or videos handy, but if I run across them, I'll let you know. The setup is pretty simple really, 2 snowmen, with 5 snowballs between. Each snowman also has a snowball attached to its body (hit). There is another snowball on a short stake near each snowman (miss). There are 2 hands on each snowman - one is back and the other is forward. This could be modified relatively easily to include a third hand halfway between if desired and use 16 channels.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Attached files 2005 - snowmen standalone.las

I did not use LOR for my snowball fight sequence I used a industrial control PLC. To figure out what I needed for timing I marked out on the ground the distance between the snowmen then actually threw a ball, and using a stop watch I got the time of flight. then I divided that time by the number of balls in the animation. This worked perfectly and is very realistic looking.

Check out how it turned out.

If you want more info look at my website. http://bazillionlights.com/Tech/LightsTechSnowballfight.html

tomskillman wrote:

Attached is my snowman sequence. It may have a minor problem in it - I didn't check it, but I remember fixing a channel or two this year. It should give you an idea how I do it though. This sequnce uses 14 channels as follows:

1-5 Snowballs between 2 snowmen from left to right
6 First Snowman Miss
7 First Snowman Hit
8 Second Snowman Miss
9 Second Snowman Hit
10 Both Snowman outlines
11 First Snowman arm back
12 First Snowman arm forward
13 Second Snowman arm back
14 Second Snowman arm forward

I don't know if I have any pics or videos handy, but if I run across them, I'll let you know. The setup is pretty simple really, 2 snowmen, with 5 snowballs between. Each snowman also has a snowball attached to its body (hit). There is another snowball on a short stake near each snowman (miss). There are 2 hands on each snowman - one is back and the other is forward. This could be modified relatively easily to include a third hand halfway between if desired and use 16 channels.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks Tom,

I already have the sequence of what needs to be done. What I don't have is a visual arm movement and timing of snowballs and arm action. I was hoping you had done the lor animation viewer.

Thanks for the reply Michael

toymakr000 wrote:

I did not use LOR for my snowball fight sequence I used a industrial control PLC. To figure out what I needed for timing I marked out on the ground the distance between the snowmen then actually threw a ball, and using a stop watch I got the time of flight. then I divided that time by the number of balls in the animation. This worked perfectly and is very realistic looking.

Check out how it turned out.

If you want more info look at my website. http://bazillionlights.com/Tech/LightsTechSnowballfight.html

Hi Toymakr000,

Sure wish you were using LOR equipment, I would have loved to have seen your sequence work. The 14 second video, does makes you have to look very fast. From reading this post, I will try your approach for timing. My bad luck, we just had a big snow, but it's all gone now, guess I will have to improvise for snowballs. From looking at your site are your snowmen 5 ft tall throwing 5 inch snowballs?

Thanks Michael

Snowmen are 7' tall throwing 6" - 7" balls. the timing for the program I used is this .1 second for each ball.There are 11 of them. they are spanning the street, a total of 46 feet. Ther is 3.8 feet between each ball. The arms on the snowmen had .15 second timing. This is the sequence snowman 1 lowest arm on all the time except when one of the other two are on. Then arm2 comes on for .15 sec. Then arm3 for .15 second. Then simultaneously arm 1 comes back on and ball 1 turns on for .1 second. Then balls 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11, turn on each for .1 second sequencially. then the splat on snowman 2 for 6 seconds. Then there is a 15 second dwell where everything is static. Then it goes the other way starting with snowman 2 arm 2 , arm 3, ball11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1, snowman 1 splat. ........

For LOR make a non musical animation sequence (unless your adding sound). with .05 timing. then set up your channels and sequence it. it should go quite fast and easy with this info. Also If I were doing this with LOR I'd add a trailing fade to make it look better. The PLC I used is unable to fade it just has on-off control.

Good Luck!,

toymakr000 wrote:

Snowmen are 7' tall throwing 6" - 7" balls. the timing for the program I used is this .1 second for each ball.There are 11 of them. they are spanning the street, a total of 46 feet. Ther is 3.8 feet between each ball. The arms on the snowmen had .15 second timing. This is the sequence snowman 1 lowest arm on all the time except when one of the other two are on. Then arm2 comes on for .15 sec. Then arm3 for .15 second. Then simultaneously arm 1 comes back on and ball 1 turns on for .1 second. Then balls 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11, turn on each for .1 second sequencially. then the splat on snowman 2 for 6 seconds. Then there is a 15 second dwell where everything is static. Then it goes the other way starting with snowman 2 arm 2 , arm 3, ball11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1, snowman 1 splat. ........

For LOR make a non musical animation sequence (unless your adding sound). with .05 timing. then set up your channels and sequence it. it should go quite fast and easy with this info. Also If I were doing this with LOR I'd add a trailing fade to make it look better. The PLC I used is unable to fade it just has on-off control.

Good Luck!,

Hi Toymakr000,

You explained your operation very well, and gives me alot of insight for doing mine. Still wish someone had a LOR sequence to share, it makes programing alot easier if you can see the actual image and timing in front of you, to modify to fit your own needs. This is not to say I'm lazy, I just know other do much better work than me, when it comes to something like this, that has so many variables.

Thanks Michael