Light-O-Rama Forums

CAT5 cable

Daren

I know this sounds a little silly, but I can't get the CAT5 cable out of the controller. It's the booted one I got from LOR and I've tried squeezing it 6 ways from Sunday and it will not unplug. For now I secured it and put the cover back on. I didn't want to damage the board by pulling to hard. Any thoughts? :P

Thanks, Daren

If it does not come out easy it is most likely NOT operator error! It is possible that it is a faulty cable that doesn't retract the little holder tab when you press on it.

Try using a small screwdriver to push the covered tab in when you are trying to release the unit. If that fails try cutting away the little cover on the tab so you can see the tab and then you may be able to release it.

If you cannot get it out OR you damage the card trying to get it out then we will send you new stuff and a return shipping label.

Dan

Thanks Dan. Man your quick. I tried an angled screwdriver and got under the boot, depressed the tab and pushed down and pulled up, no luck. I'll try cutting away the boot later. I've got the 1602W and and there's not alot of room for my big mits. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again. Daren

I had difficulty removing one cable from a PC unit this year. I ended up using a screwdriver as Dan said. It was quite stubborn...I was more stubborn.:P

Did the boot get under the tab? I've seen this a few times at work. If so you should be able to pull the boot up and over the tab carefully. Then you can disconnect it from the controller. If you break the tab you'll have to replace the end, because It'll never stay in the socket with no tab.

I have had that trouble with Cat 5 a couple times too. Can't remember if it was the booted from LOR or another though.

I got the cable out last night. I cut the boot off and was able to use a small angled screwdriver to depress what was left of the tab. Oh yeah, I sliced off the tail end of the tab. :shock: I will plug that end into the USB adaptor since it will be easier to depress the remaining tab. I'll be cutting off the boots from now on. I talked to my son who is an IT consultant and he said that's a common problem.

Thanks again Dan.

Daren