Light-O-Rama Forums

How to run show from computer to 1602mp3g3

mxtrainer

Used the 1602mp3g3 last year with sd card to run show and everything worked great 

this year I want to use the computer to run the show but when I attach the computer to the 1602mp3g3 controller it will only run that controller. The other 3 controllers show no conn. If I connect to other controllers directly bypassing number 1 ( the 1602mp3g3) they work fine. 

What am I missing? 

Will the double output rs485 fix this running one Ethernet to the 1602mp3g3 and the other Ethernet out of the rs485 directly to the #2 controller?

thank you in advance. 

Alan 

1 hour ago, mxtrainer said:

It is the stand alone all in one showtime controller. There is NO wire. 

since you already have the SD Card setup, curious why you'd want to tie up the computer. You can do about 4 hours of show on a 4GB sd. Do the Simple Show Builder to create the show on the SD Card and unplug from computer.

If you just really want to tie up the pc, probably will have to access the hardware utility to tell it it's not stand-alone. I don't have that exact unit - so not swearing..

We are using ccr this year and the standalone controller will not work. Must use a pc Ethernet connection directly to the ccr controller. 

On 11/24/2016 at 10:01 PM, mxtrainer said:

Will the double output rs485 fix this running one Ethernet to the 1602mp3g3 and the other Ethernet out of the rs485 directly to the #2 controller?

Please get out of the habit of referring to that cable as ethernet - it's not.  It's a Cat-5 cable carrying RS-485 data.  Calling it ethernet will at some point confuse both other people who are reading your posts or yourself if and when you start using E1.31 (which really does run over ethernet).  Can't help you on a director issue as I've never used one.

Interesting that you would take the time to "school" someone on proper terminology (even though you knew exactly what cables I was referring too) but have no clue how to help with the issues I was asking about. 

CAT 5. Hope this makes you feel better. 

Have a great relaxing stress free Christmas. 

• Like 1

Jim's point is that confusing the two protocols WILL fry something, so it is important not to confuse the two.

First thing I would check on the non responding unit, would be the cable, then, the jack itself, for bent pins and such, Don't use a director myself either.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Please get out of the habit of referring to that cable as ethernet - it's not.  It's a Cat-5 cable carrying RS-485 data.  Calling it ethernet will at some point confuse both other people who are reading your posts or yourself if and when you start using E1.31 (which really does run over ethernet).  Can't help you on a director issue as I've never used one.

Remember that the people that answer the forums' questions, except for a very few, don't work for LOR. We're all just trying to help each other out. Many people read these posts looking for answers - some without ever even creating their own log in. When something might need some clarification - it might not just be for the original poster, as Jim explained in his post. So when brother Jim was clarifying the network terminology - he wasn't trying to be spiteful. He has hundreds of posts just like that as that's his passion. We all learn from each other as most of us wouldn't be on the forums if we thought we already knew it all ourselves. I know for myself - I'm still baby stepping.

Here again - I don't have the same unit - but the manual to your listed number 1602mp3g3 indicates generation 3, which can support 2 networks. 1 normal ac & 1 high speed to 500k. From manual:

"The G3-MP3 supports two LOR networks, doubling the bandwidth to your display. In addition to the traditionally supported network speeds of 19.2Kbps, G3-MP3, 57.6Kbps and 115.2Kbps, the G3-MP3 supports 500Kbps to better handle displays with large numbers of RGB pixels. The left two network connectors (RJ12 & RJ45) are for network 1. They are also used for all Hardware Utility interactions with the G3-MP3 and/or the underlying CTB32L controller in the case of a LOR1602MP3g3. The right RJ45 is used for the second network, Aux A. If the SD card did not specify “Dual Network Director” or there was no Aux A network information written to the SD card, then the Regular network is transmitted on this connection."

The way I read it - should be able to handle your CCRs on the right network, as long as you loaded up the sd card correctly. So again, why tie up your pc?

To attempt your original question, wanting to use the pc this year - again, from the manual;

"The G3-MP3 is mounted on a plate inside the controller. Remove the bottom two screws from the front cover and lift the cover off to expose the G3-MP3."

I'm assuming - as again - not the unit I use - but sounds like the G3-MP3 unit is not modified for this unit. So take the 2 screws off to expose it and unplug it. But here again - I may be all washed up.

Good luck,

Daniel

• Like 1

Phil

thank you for the response. 

I have tried 3 different cables that work with other controllers. Same issue. 

The pins may be a problem but I prefer to not take the unit apart since it's under warranty if something major is wrong. 

My other question was is it possible to use a RS-485/USB connector that has 2 outlets. Running 1 cat 5 to the showtime director controller and another cat 5 to the number 2 controller bypassing the second outlet jack altogether?

and not to beat a dead horse but we can all give information to someone asking for help in respectful ways. Just sayin. 

Thanks to everyone who is responding I appreciate it. 

Mega arch

even though my electronic knowledge is very limited and is the same with LOR, I understand where you are coming from. 

When I purchased the sequences for the CCR 12 channel tree with star, the technician informed me that the CCR would not work off my SD card using the director. His statement was "it will not have enough power" and to plug a cat 5 cable into the Ethernet outlet on the computer to run the CCR tree and star while using the USB/RS-485 to my LOR controllers. 

When I don't know the proper procedure to follow myself I usually will ask for advice from more knowledgeable people to make the correct decision. 

I ran the show last year without issue using the SD card with the LOR 1602mp3g3 showtime controller. I like the way it did exactly as most of you are saying by not having to use the computer. 

I would like to continue using it if possible but now I'm concerned as to what to do. 

If anyone has actually run 64 channels and a 12 channel CCR tree with star please let me know if you had any issues. 

Again thanks guys. 

9 hours ago, mxtrainer said:

Interesting that you would take the time to "school" someone on proper terminology (even though you knew exactly what cables I was referring too) but have no clue how to help with the issues I was asking about. 

Alan,

Yes, I understood that you were talking about a RS-485 connection, but I'm quite certain there are some on the forum that would not.  I can't tell you how many times someone here on the forum has asked or mentioned plugging their LOR networking into a LAN switch, router, or the ethernet port of a PC.  It is a common misunderstanding - particularly with new users (since I was replying to your first ever post that would imply that you're new - although I just looked and I see you've been a forum member for a few months longer than I have).  When people incorrectly interchange the terms, it perpetuates that misunderstanding.  Once E1.31 started becoming more common, the danger of plugging an ethernet network and a RS-485 network has become far more real, because many of us are using both.  Personally I use different color cables to help keep them apart - LOR networking is purple, E1.31 LAN is green, my "normal" home LAN is blue, etc.

As part of my job, I at times have to make some very technical explanations for situations.  In some cases, even slightly inaccurate writing can result in a serious misunderstanding of a situation - sometimes with very bad results.  That attention to detail rubs off in other activities.

As Daniel and Phil pointed out, I'm trying to be helpful (keep you from destroying stuff), and certainly not out of spite.

I completely understand and agree. Sometimes when a message is sent it comes across different than intended and the perception of someone reading may interpret it differently. 

With the stress of having a completely new show, new equipment, new CCR then finding out I'm unable to run the show with the SD card. Buying a new computer having new sequences done with the new CCR, finding out half of them are missing the media files. Not being able to run the computer through the 1602mp3g3 controller. Having a new emergency controller sent from LOR then plug it in and it's dead. 

LOR sent out over night 2 new 1602 controllers. Now configuring and testing both of them them wiring everything back up again. 

And it's supposed to rain for the next 2 days here in Ca where it never rains. 

Mother than the aforementioned I'm stress free. 

So I possibly over reacted just a little lol

hopefully everyone will see the fun I'm having right now and the show was supposed to start 4 days ago 

ok enough before I start to drink. 

Thanks to everyone. 

17 minutes ago, mxtrainer said:

Where in CA do you live? Don't see it in your profile... 

30 minutes ago, mxtrainer said:

I completely understand and agree. Sometimes when a message is sent it comes across different than intended and the perception of someone reading may interpret it differently. 

Yep.  One of the reasons I'm so picky about being explicit to avoid misunderstandings.

32 minutes ago, mxtrainer said:

Yes it is.  We desperately need the rain, so I'll take it.  I'm just glad my setup and opening night event completed before any rain.  Looking at the weather radar it looks like the rain will be here in less than a half hour...

53 minutes ago, BMurray said:

Where in CA do you live? Don't see it in your profile... 

Menifee by Temecula. 

35 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Yep.  One of the reasons I'm so picky about being explicit to avoid misunderstandings.

Yes it is.  We desperately need the rain, so I'll take it.  I'm just glad my setup and opening night event completed before any rain.  Looking at the weather radar it looks like the rain will be here in less than a half hour...

I'm glad everything went perfect for you. 

Have a great and  positive holiday 

31 minutes ago, mxtrainer said:

I'm glad everything went perfect for you. 

Not quite perfect.  The yard speakers were not working at the start of the show.  Turns out that I had left the 2015 version of the sequence that turns on the yard speakers instead of the 2016 version, and the controller and network had changed this year.  Easy fix...

You also have a great holiday season.

• 2 weeks later...

Mxtrainer,

hey did u get it resolved? I got same issue so i need to figure it out also.  Please let me know. Hope you got the great show and a merry christmas to you! 

Don

Don with everything coming so fast this year I didn't have time to try to figure it out. I ended up purchasing another 1602 controller and run the show from the laptop.  Apparently I must use the Ethernet port from the computer to run the RGB tree so there is no other option for me at this time. Everything is working as of now. Hope this helps. 

Alan 

note: my 1602mp3g3 is not being used. It would be a back up to the show if anything happens to the laptop. But if I need to use it the RGB tree would not be useable. 

11 minutes ago, mxtrainer said:

Don with everything coming so fast this year I didn't have time to try to figure it out. I ended up purchasing another 1602 controller and run the show from the laptop.  Apparently I must use the Ethernet port from the computer to run the RGB tree so there is no other option for me at this time. Everything is working as of now. Hope this helps. 

Alan 

note: my 1602mp3g3 is not being used. It would be a back up to the show if anything happens to the laptop. But if I need to use it the RGB tree would not be useable. 

Alan, so if you must use your ethernet port to run your RGB tree then you are not actually running CCRs? Are you running a E1.31 controller?