Light-O-Rama Forums

Data cable pin outs

Guest guest

Greetings to all,

I 'm at work and dont have any of my LOR docs with me. I'm finishing up the setup of my megatree and need to get the data cables out to the controllers.

I'm not sure if I want to run CAT3 or CAT5, but I need the pin assignments for the RJ11 tele-cable method and the RJ45 network cable method. If I use tele cable do I need 4 conductors or 6?

I know I have all this info at home, but I live 15 miles out of town and I go right by the Home Depot on the way out.. sure would help if I could pick this stuff up on the way home.

thanks in advance ..

Bob

Bob -- don't have all the specs, but I can tell you that it's 4-wire only. The inner pair is used for RS485 communications, and the outer pair is power (powers the computer 'dongle' for now and other devices soon).

Only the inner two pairs are used on a RJ45. RJ45's are assumed to be straight through, whereas RJ11 cables are assumed to be crossover (which is the standards for ethernet and phone, respectively).

-Tim

Thanks Tim, I thought they were "standard" cables. When I was setting up and testing I always used the cable Dan sent with the boards I bought so I never thought abouti it. I don't need to run that far (less than 100') but I think I'll still run CAT5. I'm not up on the RS432 specs.. .I recall RS232 was good up to about 50'.

Thanks again for the feedback ... Hi Ho, Hi Ho .. its off to Home Depot .. :happytree:

So the CAT5 Cables are Crossover Cables when you make them? Standard Ethernet Cables that you buy from the store arent usually a crossover cable. A quick search on google will give you the pin out..

Scott Colson wrote:

So the CAT5 Cables are Crossover Cables when you make them? Standard Ethernet Cables that you buy from the store arent usually a crossover cable. A quick search on google will give you the pin out..

THe CAT5 is straight thru like you normally get. The phone cable is cross over which what is normal for phone cable.

If you use phone cable here is the rule.

if a phone cable is comming into a controller (from the perspective of the PC) then that phone cable goes into the little connector.

ANY CABLE (data or phone) going out of a controller to another controller is plugged into a large connector.