Light-O-Rama Forums

About to purchase Showtime Central but have questions

JPat

Hello all,

I am about to purchase the Showtime Central Package with some additional controllers in an attempt to animate for the first time.  I am choosing this route so I don't have to run a dedicated computer with the system and can simply set up in a central location on the outside of the home.

- Is the plug and play show only set up to run 16 channels that come with the kit?  If so, seems as if purchasing this when I intend to run 36-48 channels is not wise?  My roof line is double strung with C9 LED's and Icicles, perimeter of yard is outlined with C9 LED's, I am planning on running 4 Fire Sticks, and last 6-8 mini trees with red, green, and white 5mm LED's.

- Do all of the controllers need to be connected via a Cat5 cable or do they have the ability to communicate in a wireless form?  If hard wired via Cat5, how do most of you run these from each controller across the yard/driveways?   

- If I choose the optional Plug and Play SD card, I assume that I can use the software to further develop my own sequences, save them, and then run the new expanded show?

- I want the music to play outside, so can I simply plug in a set of speaker to the show director itself?  We are in a gated community in SW Florida, so must will not need to stay vehicle listening from their radio.

I would call LOR directly, but today is Turkey Day and momma gave me the green light last night after a few glasses of wine.  I am seizing the opportunity. :)  Thank you in advance.

Very late in year to try for this year. If you do, plug & play card is the only hope you really have. Then in January, learn the software and start planning 2017. 

I have (14) controllers and (3) 50-watt floods for 239 channels. I control them from sd card, just to give you an idea for future expanding. 

Cat5 is most economical way to connect. But yes, LOR sells wireless ELLs to go where cat5 wire doesn't fit your needs. 

For sound, need amp then speakers. Or, use a powered speaker. Chet (Caniac) turned me onto this one & I love it. 

http://www.wowlights.com/ProductDetail.asp?Category=24&Product=513

Good luck. 

Welcome JPat   I love the excitement !  She said YES!   woo hoooooo

The showtime central starter package includes a FM transmitter.

The residential starter package may be what you want. 

Most people are completing their plans right now while you are starting.   I would encourage you to allow time in your schedule for learning.  

Edited by ItsMeBobO

Appreciate the replies, and most of the work is done in exception of the controllers.  I have a fair amount of free time with the ability to work from home and a very talented 15yo daughter that has been eager to write program sequences.  I am not afraid to pay for a few quality sequences for this year, but since I got the go ahead, onward we will go even if it gets me a week or two of something.  The neighbors are already impressed with my static display that I expand each year, so this should blow them away.

Mega Arch, if I didn't go with the ELL's, how would I cross a driveway?

Edited by JPat

11 minutes ago, JPat said:

Appreciate the replies, and most of the work is done in exception of the controllers.  I have a fair amount of free time with the ability to work from home and a very talented 15yo daughter that has been eager to write program sequences.  I am not afraid to pay for a few quality sequences for this year, but since I got the go ahead, onward we will go even if it gets me a week or two of something.  The neighbors are already impressed with my static display that I expand each year, so this should blow them away.

Mega Arch, if I didn't go with the ELL's, how would I cross a driveway?

Think up.

Cup hooks under the eaves get you all the way around the house :D

3 hours ago, Mega Arch said:

Think up.

Cup hooks under the eaves get you all the way around the house :D

LOL, too funny.....and especially because I already have my icicles hanging from this area!!  Thanks, and sometimes things are just too obvious.

On 11/24/2016 at 10:18 AM, Mega Arch said:

Very late in year to try for this year. If you do, plug & play card is the only hope you really have. Then in January, learn the software and start planning 2017. 

I have (14) controllers and (3) 50-watt floods for 239 channels. I control them from sd card, just to give you an idea for future expanding. 

Cat5 is most economical way to connect. But yes, LOR sells wireless ELLs to go where cat5 wire doesn't fit your needs. 

For sound, need amp then speakers. Or, use a powered speaker. Chet (Caniac) turned me onto this one & I love it. 

http://www.wowlights.com/ProductDetail.asp?Category=24&Product=513

Good luck. 

Thank you, just purchased this.

Just now, JPat said:

Thank you, just purchased this.

Good luck.

Come back to the forum with your new questions. Just remember to be patient on replies until everyone has their own show up & running...

On 11/24/2016 at 10:41 AM, ItsMeBobO said:

Welcome JPat   I love the excitement !  She said YES!   woo hoooooo

The showtime central starter package includes a FM transmitter.

The residential starter package may be what you want. 

Most people are completing their plans right now while you are starting.   I would encourage you to allow time in your schedule for learning.  

Thank you, and just pulled the trigger on the Showtime Central package with additional controllers.  I went this route, as I want to load the sequences using the director.

I purchased the plug and go sd card for immediate use, but myself and daughter are going to be working on sequences of our own.  Daunting task this late in the game, but we have been wanting to do this for years and taking the plunge.  Going years back, there was someone in our neighborhood that used to put on a show that dazzled their eyes as young girls and we would go nightly.  Sadly he moved a few years back and nobody near us with anything close.  I also have a neighborhood of young children and hope that I can become the same for them.  

• 2 weeks later...

Ask for help I did.  Everyone has been great.  Use the free sequence link in the software section.  Will take you to some sites to download some pre made stuff to get you going.  Use them modify add it will be easier for you.

On 12/6/2016 at 0:31 AM, racerc20 said:

Ask for help I did.  Everyone has been great.  Use the free sequence link in the software section.  Will take you to some sites to download some pre made stuff to get you going.  Use them modify add it will be easier for you.

Thanks and we are up and running with three controllers.  I did receive some shared sequences from a user here of which I used more for reference, as most of his were for a far larger display.  Luckily I have a 15yo daughter that is like a mad hacker when she dives into something electronic.  We have four songs complete in less than a week, two more about complete, and pushing to get another 4-8 by the Friday before Christmas.  Outside of homework, she has basically dedicated every bit of her available time to programming.

Last night was the first time running the show on the SD card with 95% of props wired.