Light-O-Rama Forums
DevMike

4.3.16 - Insert Pixie Device in SE

There is an issue with inserting Pixie Devices in the SE in the current beta.  When you do, it can sometimes not increment the unit ID properly for each port.

Workaround:

Insert a Cosmic Color Ribbon (or Bulb) device for each port on the Pixie.  Set the Unit ID properly, say 'CCR/CCB with 1 string'.  So a pixie 4 will do this 4 times.

Once inserted, delete the 7 channels that are labeled CCD - LR,MM,MS,ME,CM,CS,and CI)

49 minutes ago, jstomasi said:

Are you working on a fix for this?

That is why it is a Beta :)

I was in software deployment and support for 20 years, serving over 90 offices.   Found that you nevers wanted to charge ahead immediately with significant updateds/upgrades..."he who leads...gets shot in the back".

Mike,

I have 2 Pixie16 and was not looking forward to adding 32 CCR's then deleting 224 extra macro channels. gah. I found what seems to be another workaround.

I added both my Pixie16 as PixCon16's then edited the Name to Pixie16 Aux E Unit ID 15, etc... It appears that the PixCon16 script seems to work in increasing the Unit ID number and does not add the extra macro channels.

It would easier to add your Pixie2 or Pixie8 as a PixCon16, then delete the extra Unit ID channels, rather than delete all the other macro channels.

If you see a problem with this, please let me know. So far in looking at the channel info everything is ok.

Alan...

Edited by default

I made a quick video to show people what both DevMike is explaining and the way I figured out how to do it.

Hope it helps

Thanks for the tip!

Also, in case anyone's wondering, the reason the unit id changes after unit 9 to "0A" is that it is shown in HEX not decimal.

So, decimal 10 = 0A hex, decimal 11 = 0B, 12 = 0C, 13 = 0D, 14 = 0E, 15 = 0F, and decimal 16 = 10 hex (1*16 + 0*1=16).

3 hours ago, TonyD said:

Thanks for the tip!

Also, in case anyone's wondering, the reason the unit id changes after unit 9 to "0A" is that it is shown in HEX not decimal.

So, decimal 10 = 0A hex, decimal 11 = 0B, 12 = 0C, 13 = 0D, 14 = 0E, 15 = 0F, and decimal 16 = 10 hex (1*16 + 0*1=16).

lol thank you for that, I knew that's what it was called, but while doing the video I couldn't remember. :unsure:

I also explained and showed how to make a Pixie 12 controller, oops there isn't such a thing. I have no excuse for the mistake other than I was all jacked up on turkey. :wacko:;)

Alan...

• Like 3

So for us newbies what should it actually look like when inserted?  When I inset the Pixie 16 and assign it a number on a regular network it loads PIXIE 09 Port 1 thru 16 and within each port it is pixel 09.1 through 09.50.  Is this correct?

8 hours ago, submarine guy said:

So for us newbies what should it actually look like when inserted?  When I inset the Pixie 16 and assign it a number on a regular network it loads PIXIE 09 Port 1 thru 16...  Is this correct?

Yes, this means you have inserted a Pixie16 with a starting ID number of 09 (remember the Pixie16 will use a total of 16Unit ID numbers) What you are referring to as "port" is actually the string number. ie. A Pixie16 has 16 strings (ports)

8 hours ago, submarine guy said:

and within each port it is pixel 09.1 through 09.50.  Is this correct?

Yes, pixel 09.1 is the first pixel on string 1, pixel 09.50 is the last pixel on string 1 (in this case the 50th pixel)
if you click on the next one down 09 Port2, the first one will say will say Pixel OA.1 (this is the first pixel on string 2, Pixel OA.50 is the last pixel on string 2) and so on.

It can seem confusing, but a little trick to make it easier for you, is to "Change Name" of the channel. In the picture below I have Changed Name of the channels based on your first Unit ID being 09.

pixie16 id.png

By renaming the channels with all the info, it should help you keep track of what you are looking at. Right Click the channel  and a dialog box will appear, Choose "Change Name" and follow the example in the picture. Make sense?

I am curious as to why you are adding your Pixie16 with a starting unit of 09. Do you have 8 other controllers and 09 is the next Unit ID available? or are you just following the example above? What level of License do you have, Advanced or Pro? I ask because setting up your network can be different depending on your license level. ie. whether or not you can use an Enhanced network.

Alan...

11 hours ago, default said:

Yes, this means you have inserted a Pixie16 with a starting ID number of 09 (remember the Pixie16 will use a total of 16Unit ID numbers) What you are referring to as "port" is actually the string number. ie. A Pixie16 has 16 strings (ports)

Yes, pixel 09.1 is the first pixel on string 1, pixel 09.50 is the last pixel on string 1 (in this case the 50th pixel)
if you click on the next one down 09 Port2, the first one will say will say Pixel OA.1 (this is the first pixel on string 2, Pixel OA.50 is the last pixel on string 2) and so on.

It can seem confusing, but a little trick to make it easier for you, is to "Change Name" of the channel. In the picture below I have Changed Name of the channels based on your first Unit ID being 09.

pixie16 id.png

By renaming the channels with all the info, it should help you keep track of what you are looking at. Right Click the channel  and a dialog box will appear, Choose "Change Name" and follow the example in the picture. Make sense?

I am curious as to why you are adding your Pixie16 with a starting unit of 09. Do you have 8 other controllers and 09 is the next Unit ID available? or are you just following the example above? What level of License do you have, Advanced or Pro? I ask because setting up your network can be different depending on your license level. ie. whether or not you can use an Enhanced network.

Alan...

Alan,

Yes I have 8 regular LOR boxes running three houses full of lights, so nine is my next available unit ID.  I have the PRO license.  When I expand and see port 1 port 2 etc and then expand again I do not get OA.1 thru 50 for port 2 it still says 09.1 through 09.50

submarine guy,

I think I have misunderstood what has posted. To back up a little.

When you installed your Pixie16 into Sequence Editor did you Insert Device Pixie2/4/8/16? or did you install it as a PixCon16? By what you are saying that when you expand the PIXIE 09 all the Ports say 09, this tells me you installed it as a Pixie16 not a PixCon16.

As the first post by DevMike says, there is a problem with LOR S4 ver 4.3.16 beta version, it does not properly install Pixie 2/4/8/16. In fact it does exactly what yours is showing.

The video explains the workarounds. DevMikes workaround does work but adds some extra steps for completing it, than does the workaround I showed. In the video above, start watching from about the 6:28 mark. It will explain about adding a PixCon16, even though you are going to use it as Pixie16. Follow the steps as I show in the video (from the 6:28 mark) and add a PixCon16, then check it, and rename as shown in the picture. What you want to see is every Port # (string) should have a different Unit ID number. As you open each Port it should look like the picture above.

To make it easier, I will just attach the sample animation file to this post.

Right Click the link and "Save As" If you get the option save it to your C:\Users\*Your Computer Name *\Documents\Light-O-Rama\Sequences directory. Load it into Sequence Editor, Plug in your lights, Start Control Panel and hit play in Sequence Editor, you should see every strings do a chase from string 1 to string 16.

http://greatgooglymoogly.info/LOR%20Pics/UnitID09.las

If you don't get the option to pick where you save it, make note of where it saves it, then move it from there to the C:\Users\*Your Computer Name *\Documents\Light-O-Rama\Sequences directory

Alan...

submarine guy,

I think I have misunderstood what has posted. To back up a little.

When you installed your Pixie16 into Sequence Editor did you Insert Device Pixie2/4/8/16? or did you install it as a PixCon16? By what you are saying that when you expand the PIXIE 09 all the Ports say 09, this tells me you installed it as a Pixie16 not a PixCon16.

As the first post by DevMike says, there is a problem with LOR S4 ver 4.3.16 beta version, it does not properly install Pixie 2/4/8/16. In fact it does exactly what yours is showing.

The video explains the workarounds. DevMikes workaround does work but adds some extra steps for completing it, than does the workaround I showed. In the video above, start watching from about the 6:28 mark. It will explain about adding a PixCon16, even though you are going to use it as Pixie16. Follow the steps as I show in the video (from the 6:28 mark) and add a PixCon16, then check it, and rename as shown in the picture. What you want to see is every Port # (string) should have a different Unit ID number. As you open each Port it should look like the picture above.

To make it easier, I will just attach the sample animation file to this post.

Right Click the link and "Save As" If you get the option save it to your C:\Users\*Your Computer Name *\Documents\Light-O-Rama\Sequences directory. Load it into Sequence Editor, Plug in your lights, Start Control Panel and hit play in Sequence Editor, you should see every strings do a chase from string 1 to string 16.

http://greatgooglymoogly.info/LOR%20Pics/UnitID09.las

If you don't get the option to pick where you save it, make note of where it saves it, then move it from there to the C:\Users\*Your Computer Name *\Documents\Light-O-Rama\Sequences directory

Alan...

Wonder if this still applies with the release of 4.3.18

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good Catch. I didn't realize a newer version of LOR S4 had been released. It is not listed in important announcements. I found it by going to the download page here.

http://www1.lightorama.com/sequencing-software-download/

Yes it does seem to work. I just downloaded and tried it out. Did you use 4.3.18 and it still does not work.?

Alan...

Good Catch. I didn't realize a newer version of LOR S4 had been released. It is not listed in important announcements. I found it by going to the download page here.

http://www1.lightorama.com/sequencing-software-download/

Yes it does seem to work. I just downloaded and tried it out. Did you use 4.3.18 and it still does not work.?

Alan...

No. just downloaded it this morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk