Light-O-Rama Forums

looking for a someone to help setup my display

Willballz

15 minutes ago, Willballz said:

How do i get free initial setup  what number do i call .  i did change it to 1-16 and changed the pixeks to 50 each ccr.  i thought i got free end to end setup but nothing in the box stating that or where i contact anyone fir that help

• Assistance maybe provided via email, phone or remote PC control. HolidayCoro will typically attempt to resolve most issues via email but where applicable, phone or remote PC controller will be provided.

Can I take this dumb RGB 30 channel DMX controller directly to my ethernet port on my computer.  If so how do I do it.  I was able to hook up the alphapix 16 without a problem.  Now I need to hook up the other controller.  Any ideas?

DMX controller needs a DMX dongle. Several are available.  You can also use a LOR dongle but crossover cables are needed.  The pixie does have a DMX universe output that you could use as well.  More info about how to connect DMX devices can be found on hc website...I personally use the hc entec pro dongle for my DMX universe for all my dumb lights.  If this was my setup I would try to use the pixie to create my DMX universe.

E1.31 comes straight out of computer port or as you have setup already a switch.   This is several universes.  Unlike the DMX channel above, this card creates its universes. 

LOR uses the LOR dongle....hi speed or low speed.

Again, keep them separated.

I want to use the alphapix 16 controller because it has 3 outputs for E1.11 RS-485/dmx512.  I just need to assign it in the alphapix16 configuration menu.  Not a lot of info about how to connect the dumb controller to alphapix16.. It just says that you can do it.  So I am assuming that I am taking a cat 5 cable and plugging one end into the dumb controller cat5 port( it has two Cat5 inputs on the dumb controller) and the other end I am cutting the cat5 connector off and using 2 or 3 wires from it to connect to the alphapix16  E1.11 RS-485/dmx512 Output 1.  I am not sure what wires to connect.  On the holiday coro website it says put the positive wire here negative wire here and ground wire here.  Well how am I supposed to know from a cat5 cable with multiple wires which one is positive negative and ground?   Also the E1.31 network that I setup on my computer is on 192.168.0.1.  The alphapix16 controller has a static ip address of 192.168.0.50.  Once I hook up the dumb controller to the alpha pix E1.11 RS-485/dmx512 Output 1.  It asks DMX Universe.  Its defaulted at 1  Should I make it like 99?  Also on the dumb controller it has dip switches for Ip addresses. If I put 99 on DMX universe in configuration menu of alphapix16 E1.11 RS-485/dmx512 Outputs, should I set dip switches to 99 as well or what should I set the dip switches too on the dumb controller?.  Assuming that is the correct way to do this.  Should I be able to go into the sequence editor and go to network preferences and add a device just as I did with the alphapix16 controller?

As I mentioned earlier, have you viewed the number of videos that HolidayCoro has on the aplphapix16 and mega tree kit. 

If not, do it firsh before asking more quesiton. Also it has been mentioned several times, you have some initial setup support from HC directly.

Starting late in the season and as a newbie, you're not going to be able to get everything up and running this year.

Concentrate on the mega tree this year, utilitizing HC's help videos anbd phone support.  They also have the videos on converting purchased 16 mega tree sequences, into the alphapix16 environment.

So KISS this year :)

13 hours ago, Willballz said:

I want to use the alphapix 16 controller because it has 3 outputs for E1.11 RS-485/dmx512.  I just need to assign it in the alphapix16 configuration menu.  Not a lot of info about how to connect the dumb controller to alphapix16.. It just says that you can do it.  So I am assuming that I am taking a cat 5 cable and plugging one end into the dumb controller cat5 port( it has two Cat5 inputs on the dumb controller) and the other end I am cutting the cat5 connector off and using 2 or 3 wires from it to connect to the alphapix16  E1.11 RS-485/dmx512 Output 1.  I am not sure what wires to connect.  On the holiday coro website it says put the positive wire here negative wire here and ground wire here.  Well how am I supposed to know from a cat5 cable with multiple wires which one is positive negative and ground?   Also the E1.31 network that I setup on my computer is on 192.168.0.1.  The alphapix16 controller has a static ip address of 192.168.0.50.  Once I hook up the dumb controller to the alpha pix E1.11 RS-485/dmx512 Output 1.  It asks DMX Universe.  Its defaulted at 1  Should I make it like 99?  Also on the dumb controller it has dip switches for Ip addresses. If I put 99 on DMX universe in configuration menu of alphapix16 E1.11 RS-485/dmx512 Outputs, should I set dip switches to 99 as well or what should I set the dip switches too on the dumb controller?.  Assuming that is the correct way to do this.  Should I be able to go into the sequence editor and go to network preferences and add a device just as I did with the alphapix16 controller?

Get an ethernet cable, cut it, and connect the orange and white wire to the DMX +, or DMX A, the orange wire to DMX - or DMX B, and the green wire to GND if there is one on the DMX output.

The dip switches on the 30 channel controller are for start channels. You should use 1, because it should be on its own universe. Set the dip switch on the controller to 1 (Just switch 1) so it starts on channel 1, then set the universe you want the AlphaPix to take data from and send it out to the 30 channel controller. Set the SE to output to the universe you chose.

Edited by EmmienLightFan

I just bought the 6 Channel RGB star for my mega tree from holiday coro.  It comes with 5 strands of 50 RGB dumb nodes and 1 strand of 20 RGB dumb nodes.

Nothing on site as far as how to assemble.  It just says 

• Ring 1 (outer most ring): 70 Nodes
  • Ring 2: 60 Nodes
  • Ring 3: 50 Nodes
  • Ring 4: 40 Nodes
  • Ring 5: 30 Nodes
  • Ring 6 (inner most ring): 20 Nodes

Im assuming that I start from the center and just use every node to fill that many nodes on each ring.  I wasnt sure how that would work since two of the strings of 50  will be shared between different rings.  Not sure If I need to configure the star any differntly to account for shared RBB strips of 50 between the differnt rings

Also the string of nodes has the following wires Blue, Green, Orange and White and the 4 wire pigtails that I am soldering them to has Red, Green, Black and Yellow.  

Which wire goes to what and does it matter what side of the string of nodes that I connect the pigtail too?

You need some basic information which HC should be providing it seems to me.

However look at the back of the dumb pixels, may need a magnifying glass, and see if there are markings to say what wires are what.

You are sure they are dumb nodes, right?

Should be something like White to Positive, red to orange, green to green, blue to Blue, but I'm just guessing here. These are non-standard colors, so no telling.

HC does have videos and FAQ's on their website, Either call them or search for your product and see if there are specific instructions. The at least owe you some basic instructions, in my view.

Sometimes a Google search with the website name included finds more than an internal website search.