Light-O-Rama Forums

How to use Showtime Central and PC connection

m8ac9q

I have the the showtime central setup and I can get it to work fine with 4 controllers using the SD card.  I would like to use the LOR scheduler from my laptop, so I can utilize a special start up and shutdown sequence.  When I connect the Showtime Central via a cat 5 cable via the last controller (4), the transmitter will not broadcast.  Once I insert the SD card, it will broadcast.  It there a special setup or cable that I need to use other than the USB/Adapter/Cat5 cable to connect the PC to the first controller or last controller?

If you are talking about connecting your computer to run your show and cutting out the Showtime Central then you will need a USB485 from your computer to the first controller. Also if you want broadcast sound you will need to connect your computer to the fm transmitter.

Mr. P, first thanks for the reply.   I have the USB485 to connect to the first controller.  My showtime central is in a controller box and it has the SD mini director and the FM transmitter attached within.  There is a headphone jack (where you could input the jack from a set of headphones) off the side.  So I am understanding that I would connect the PC to the USB485 and on to the first controller, then connect via the headphone port on my PC to the FM transmitter.  From there I should be able to have the LOR scheduler start the sequences, thus allowing my receiver to pick up the signal from the FM transmitter.  I have speakers attached to the receiver for those walking plus the transmitter for the the car traffic.

• 2 weeks later...

To expand on what was said already. That FM transmitter enclosed in the Showtime Central box works in two ways:  With and without using Showtime Central.  If you are using Showtime, the SD card contains the musical sequences that make up your show.  The transmitter is simply the vehicle used to broadcast the music embedded on the SD card.  All you have to do is make sure the two are connected.  If you are not going to use showtime central. the FM transmitter must be plugged into headphone port on your computer.  This way, the transmitter is playing the music in your sequences directly from your computer.

If you are going to run the entire show from your computer, make sure the 485 jack is hooked up from the computer to controller 1.  If you are using cosmic color lights then you will need to use the high speed red adapater because the regular black one won't be fast enough to run the show.  Once your show is hooked up to your computer, you will be able to use the schedule editor to run the show at any given time.  A few extra hints, LOR has some great videos on show scheduling using your computer.  If you haven't reviewed these videos take the time to do it as they are very helpful.  Also, make your shows are enabled by clicking the LOR lightbulb in your system tray (LOR has video tutorial on this).  And you must save your show in the schedule editor for it to work.  If you do not enable the show AND save your schedule, it will not turn on. 

• Like 1