Light-O-Rama Forums

PC-CTB16PC ?

Travis

OK so I got my PC-CTB16PC and put one together.

The wiring in mine does not even come close to looking this clean.

What is the secret to having the wires look so clean like this ?

yhst-1552586516070_1989_2181742

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Travis

• JimCanfield

• mnkyboy

• Don

Wiring could be considered an art form. It takes time and practice to acheive the results you see in the pictures.

There is also the possibility that as shown, we don't really know if the door will close!:shock:

I will agree though, that practice makes for more presentable results.

Personally, my controllers are closed, secured, and hidden behind a fence... No, you can't see what mine look like on the inside...:D

- Kevin

Don

From what I see in the above pic, it appears that each wire was cut at different lengths to achieve that clean look.

on mine, all the wires are the same length in which there is extra slack to try and organize.

With the wires as I have them, I have to fold over the excess wires to get the lid to shut completely.

Attached files 151349=8796-0004.JPG

and another :D

As you can see in this pic, I used a black sharpie pen and numbered the Hot wire connections to reduce confussion on what wire went to which tail.

Attached files 151351=8798-0003.JPG

JimCanfield wrote:

So it is a real possibility that mine will not look like that when I finish it?

Travis, how hard was it to assemble? How long did it take you?

Jim

It took me about 3 hours to connected the wiring.

I was a bit frusterated by the ending results.

I am very picky about my wiring being neat and all tighty so it looks nice and clean.

I am thinking about redoing it over again.

The actual assembley was not too hard, just time consuming.

I'm hoping Dan will chime in here on this thread.

JimCanfield wrote:

It doesn't look all that bad, looks like you did a pretty good job. So you didn't solder it?

Jim

No I didn't solder it.

I ordered the PC controller that already had the board soldered and installed in the box.

in this kit, all you have to do is assemble the streign relief and put the dangle cord in and connect them.

Travis,

I too built my first controller too. Below is a picture of how mine turned out. Wiring is truly an art form. I am an electrician for over 25 years and it takes lots of practice and I am no where near what is in the picture either. It took me about 3 hours too. I didn't want to break anything so I took my time. No need to hurry.

Good luck! :D

Ed

Attached files 151378=8802-643A.jpg

my pc16 1 and 2
took about 20 30 minutes since i wasnt going to re terminate anything...its as neat as i could get it...not that it matters cuz im taking it apart and doing

this

1st

c1.jpg

2nd
c2.jpg

Mountainwxman wrote:

These are not the pc version... but here's mine:

DSC00519_edit.jpg

DSC00517_edit.jpg

Controller5.jpg

William,

:shock: Now that is what I like to see !

I love the looks of a sanatary, clean wiring job.

In my personal opinion, a clean and organized wiring job means less chance of problems to accure.

I use to do pro car audio competition installs for a living, and you have to have a clean and organized wiring job in your car and be visable so the car audio judges could see your wiring.

A messy wiring job would mean you getting points knocked off you score.

I am very anal about the wiring I do, not only functional, but appearance too.

Even though I am the only person that will see the wiring, I know the messy wiring is there.

I have done wiring before and did not like it and removed all the wiring and did it all over again untell It looked nice.

A clean wiring job means less time tracking down a problem.

you did a very nice job on your wiring.

I plan on redoing the wiring in my PC board so it looks better than does now.

Looking at the pictures posted, I personally don't see any of them that I would consider 'horrible.' As someone mentioned one trick is to custom cut the wires to length. On the CTB-16D controllers I would cut the ends to length, which avoided some of the extra slack.

William, very nice job on your controllers.

Ever notice how things don't look the same if real life?

For example, I bet nobody has ever had a mcskillet that looks like this:

mcskillet.jpg

I think most of you guys have done a good job, IMHO.

I'd be happy if I did that good with mine. Now when it comes to computer programing, thats when my neat freak side comes out. My big pet peave is people who don't do any indentation or documentation., or try to do 10 things at a time just to be geek worthy.

But I can appreciate the desire to be neat and organized. I'm going to use a couple zip ties on mine (as shown above), just to help control the loose wires a bit.

Is it difficult to cut the lines to length and then reattached the space connectors?

I don't wire mine until setup.
I've found that pre-wiring the female ends just means you have to use extension cords.
I have spool wire terminating in a box with an outlet. Cheaper than vampire ends, and is length customizable.
I pre-pull the wires to the locations, and when setup, just land the wires on the terminals.

This is why I never buy the showtime.
I bought a PC in the sale, and looks like I WILl be stuck having to do something because of the spade connectors, but I'm considering just wiring a terminal block breakout next to the controller.