Light-O-Rama Forums

Screw size - LOR1602 cover?

halfast

Hello, gang.  Not a newbie but have been away from LOR for a bit while moving to a new house.  I'm getting really tired (age may play a part) of dropping the cover screws for the 1602's into the grass.  I'd like to replace with knurled top screws.  Does anyone know the size of the cover screws (LOR1602).  Thanks.

Edited by halfast

What??? I thought I was the only one that dropped those screws. LOL :)

Yet all my metal case controllers have one screw hold the lids on because I couldn't find the darn screws either. ha ha

• Like 1

I don't have them with me, but I bought replacements some time ago.

For some reason 3/8th comes to mind. Disclaimer: I could be WAY off base, but just a guess...

We're heading to Florida on Sunday with a couple college visit stops for my grandson.  If I can find time tomorrow, I'll go to the local, "they've got everything" hardware store and get the real scoop on these screws.  Then I'll buy about twenty.  I did get my non-functioning ELLs working tonight along with my LOR-dedicated laptops (so old the internal clock batteries are dead).  I consider that enough of a success.  Time for a Gentleman Jack and Coke Zero.  Thanks for the chuckles, guys.  If I had known you were this entertaining, I would have been on more often.  

So I remove the single remaining screw from one of my controller housings and carry it to the shop. Half way there I drop it, in the dark. great, I can't find it. Lost another one.

Just kidding.

According to my wire cutters with different cutter sizes for cutting screws, the screw is a 8-32. Thread length 3/8.

So go to the hardware store, grab some wire cutters with the screw cutter holes in it from the tool department. Take it to the hardware department, find the 8-32 screws and try it out. If it fits, that should work.

Oh, and return the wire cutters back to the tool department. :)

So hopefully that helps.

Tom

Edited by Santas Helper
  • Like 1

Tom,

You are truly a Santa's Helper.  Thanks.  Now, to go find those screws tomorrow with some kind of handy head, like a thumbscrew or similar.  

Don't drop any screws.  Cheers.

Got them!  Made it to the hardware store today and found nice, stainless steel 8-32 1/2" screws with a nice knurled top so they can be removed/installed by hand.  I think that will solve my problem.  Thanks, guys.  Info AND humor, can't beat that.

Ron L

• Like 1

Good to hear Ron. I'll probably be picking me up some too.

I've had majority of my controllers for 10 years and a lot of them have missing screws for the covers.

So will stainless screws with a knurled top really help you find them when you drop one.

BTW Larry, I still have all my controller screws too. But then again all my controllers are in a plywood box on the roof. I figured the farther away from the grass I was the more time I would have to catch one before it landed in the grass.

The knurled top will ease in not dropping them. Thats key right there.

The thing is when you're dealing with flat head screws in the cold weather with gloves, it's pretty easy to drop them, at least for me. And if it's dark, that makes matters worse. I forget to go back the next day to look for it.

Thanks for explaining SH.  I figure if I remove one variable, the screwdriver, that gives me better odds of getting the screw in WITHOUT dropping it.  Also, how many times did you have your controller sitting on a table and you want to open it and, then, you have to go find a screwdriver.  Not a problem now.  :-)