Light-O-Rama Forums

.WAV vs MP3

JimCanfield

I came across a post where it was said that .WAV files are better to be used in LOR sequences than MP3. I was wondering why that is. I transferred one from MP3 to .WAV and the file was ALOT bigger. Not that I mind, I am just curious.

Guest wbottomley

The mp3 files are only used for the mp3 director cards. Those files are compressed to save on space.

A wav file is much larger but has better quality. If you're using a pc, I would go with wav's.

So far, everybody is missing one of the key differences. On a .wav file, Windows Media Player should always be able to accurately start playing the file where instructed. LOR asks it to start playing at 35.5 seconds, and it will start playing at 35.5 seconds...

On MP3 files, even when you ask for a bit rate, most packages actually generate a variable bit rate file that averages to your requested bit rate. Because of the variable bit rate, when you ask for WMP to start playing at 35.5 seconds, it may actually start at 35.8, or some other point near 35.5 seconds. This causes you to do your sequencing offset from how it will actually play in the end..

Because the laptop that was running my show was a bit resource challenged, I did all my sequencing on my day to day PC using wave files. Then before I saved them to transfer to the show laptop, I pointed the sequence to the MP3 version of the media file.

That way I got the positional accuracy of the wave file, but the compression of the mp3...

- Kevin

Another note if you are running the show on a slower processor: A wav file in theory should take less computing power to decode and play than an mp3, which the computer has to uncompress, decode and play. I don't think you could buy a hard drive these days that wouldnt hold 5-10 wav files easily, so if speed is your issue and not space, wavs will work better than mp3s.

JimCanfield wrote:

Thanks, but what I was asking is how do I know a song I am using is VBR. I also use windows media.

I think a lot of the lack of response is that nobody has found a way to tell that they trust...

- Kevin

JimCanfield wrote:

Thanks, but what I was asking is how do I know a song I am using is VBR. I also use windows media.

There is a program called Total Recorder. It will show you if the file is VBR, CBR and what the bit rate is.

Also, if you just let the cursor hover over the song title (don't click to select or play), it will give you all the information such as length AND bit rate.

Denny wrote:

Also, if you just let the cursor hover over the song title (don't click to select or play), it will give you all the information such as length AND bit rate.

I'm not sure, but I don't think Windows will show you whether it's VBR or CBR. If it's CBR, it will show you the bit rate, but I think that if it's VBR, it may just show you some bit rate that it happens to use at some point (probably the one that it uses at the start of the song).

I could be wrong, though.

And it might depend on the version of Windows, too.

Itunes will show bit rate and vbr. Select bitrate in view option. If you have winamp, it will show the bit rate changing if its vbr.