Light-O-Rama Forums

Using Multiple Computers

msem19

Started building a sequence on an older comouter. Then read here that you can use another, faster one to build. Loaded software on the new computer and then tried to bring in the partially built files. The imported files would not work because the file path was not the same as older PC. Sucks but I get it.

Soooooo my question is if I restart, build a completely new show then move it to older show PC will it work or search for different file path?

I use multiple computers all the time.

Audio files that are not in the exact same directory would need to be changed via Edit -> Media File. Assuming you have the same version of software (or at least the same major version, S2, S3, S4, etc) then everything should work just fine.

I normally sequence on this computer and occasionally on my laptop.  The show computer is yet another one.  For testing I have a fourth (remote location) computer.  On each computer I have a "mapped network drive" that is L:.  In the case of the laptop and the fourth computer, L: happens to be somewhere on  the C: drive on each of those computers.  For this computer and the show computer, L: is actually a drive on my file server.  However it does not matter where it physically is located, as far as LOR is concerned, all the LOR files are in L: (regardless which computer it is).  Obviously the laptop and fourth computer can't see the files on the server, but if I copy the files to the correct location under L:, the LOR installation will see them just fine.  This works perfectly, and is very simple to set up.  Once it's setup, I never have to look at it again (unless I install LOR on a new computer).

I use three different computers and here is what I have found out. When you open  a sequence for the first time and do the initial save it creates 3-4 other files for that sequence. Many of those files are mapped to file locations. If you want to change computers only move the song/mp3 file and the main .lms file to the other computer, leave all the other files on the original computer. By the way this is just for a SE sequence and not PE or SS as those would be different files. After you have moved the mp3 and main .lms files open the sequence on the new computer and attach the mp3 file as k6ccc stated and when you save the sequence it will create those 3-4 extra files again on the new computer.

It's just like when someone sends you a sequence, they will only send you the .lms file.

There are other exceptions such as vis files.

Edited by Mr. P

Don,

Thank you! That worked for the audio and all is right with the world. However I tried it with the image in the visualizer and it shows the image but none of the props. For now though I can edit on the newer PC and that's a huge save from you!

K6,

That sounds like the best answer. I will probably do that. But how do I tell LOR on both computers it's new path once I create the extra drive?

4 hours ago, msem19 said:

K6,

That sounds like the best answer. I will probably do that. But how do I tell LOR on both computers it's new path once I create the extra drive?

Look in the folder where Light O Rama installed - normally C:\Program Files\Light-O-Rama.  Look for a program called LORPost.exe and run it.  It will ask you where you want your files located.  Specify the mapped drive letter you use - L: in my case.  BTW remember when mapping the network drive to check the box for "Reconnect at logon"

All I do when using multiple computers is just set each computer up with the EXACT file structure from the main install of the LOR system on the initial computer I first installed it on, then I just copy my files, all of them, to the same sub-folders on the new system.  Haven't had a single issue with doing that and that's how I've been doing it for 5+ years now.

• Like 1