Light-O-Rama Forums

How do you store your spt extensions

Donl1150

Just finishing up my display for this year.  Year 4 of LOR & each year I have added a controller.  Now have 64 channels.  I have found that my spt extensions are becoming quite extensive.  Each year I simply wound them up 'hand to elbow' method but with so many, I am finding uncoiling for setup each year is becoming a problem.   Has anyone found a better way to store them so uncoiling is not an issue?  I am thinking something like a fishing reel might work good.

I'm lucky that I only have six, and they all go to the same place so they are a ty-wrapped bundle.  Reels are great except if you have very many cables, it takes a lot of extra space, and can be costly.  If you hand coil cables, have some way to secure the coil after completing it.  A ty-wrap works, but again, if there are a lot, it gets to be a pain cutting all those ty-wraps (and there is the risk of cutting the cable).  Re-usable Velcro straps are another option.

If you are hand coiling, learn how to do it right.  Using the hand to elbow method almost guarantees twisting the cable which contributes to the tangled mess when you try to take it apart.  Google search Over-Under coil. 

You should learn the over under wrap instead of the elbow wrap.  It will help keep the cords from tangling and twisting.  I also wrap each long cord with masking tape.  I have about 8 big totes of extensions for my display.   I definitely helps save the cords and is as fast as an elbow wrap once you get used to it

Here is one video that shows how.

• Like 1

This year I will make sure EVERYTHING is labeled. Cords will go into zip-loc bags.

I put down an additional 4000 feet of 16/2 landscape wire this year. UGH! 48 new Christmas trees.

Tear down will be much more organized.

I store all SPT-2 in a separate plastic tote from my lights. Each one has a zip tie on one-half and then the other half. The same cords are used in the same spot (for the same light strand), so the label stays on. We label both ends of the cord - the controller side and the element side. I definitely will be using the over-under method when storing my extension cord.

Also, OP, spools are another good option, but I would use the over-under method above all else.

LN

I quit using "Zip Ties" or "Ty Wraps" as some call them. 

Instead I use what look like extra long bread wrapper ties, these work great and hold the plug ends together.  I use one of these per cord, just wrap around the cord and twist a few turns to secure. 

No worries about cutting cords with this method either, you just untwist the few turns and then unwrap/uncoil the cord.   I coil my cords in a circular fashion, they take up little room in the large tote{s} I keep them in.  So far, no tangled messes!

If the cord is cold, it may not straighten out as easily and may be very stiff.   Remedy for that is an hot air hair blow dryer set on the lowest heat setting and go along the cord until it's pliable again.

I roll mine up and place them in plastic grocery bags.  Then stack them in the plastic yellow and black totes you can get from Home Depot or lowes.

I try to keep them with there respective elements if possible.  Unfortunately I share Halloween and Christmas with most of them so I end up putting them in the tote.

The plastic bags keep them separated neatly and are readily available.  The cables are labeled so that helps when pulling them out...keep in bag...look at number....use or move to next bag.

Sax

6 minutes ago, Mega Arch said:

Outta likes again. 

Already? LOL It's only 7:22am. You have a long day ahead of you. ha ha

I went ahead and Liked for you.

Edited by Santas Helper

+1 to all who said over under wrap. I learned how to do that on tour, and my cables have been thanking me ever since. It's a bit awkward at first, but it quickly becomes second nature. 

As far as storage, I have an old metal office shelf that holds all my cords. It makes for a few extra trips to the yard, but everything is ready to go with no fuss.

I connect my cords together by approx length ie 10 ft to 10 ft, 12 ft to 12 ft etc. as much as possible so I have approx 150 ft in length. I then roll the connected cord onto a real... the type with the roller handle on it cost about 5 to 10 dollars depending on where you get them

I label reel with the size/length of the cords on it and store those in plastic totes;. I can then just look at the reels and know the approx length of the cords that is on it... easy to unroll as I just pull the free end of the cord and if I need more of the same length just pull the next one... Like I said though the reels hold about 150 ft so depending on your show yo may need a lot of them... I think for my show which is small compared to many (6) controllers I have 20 reels with different length cords on them. 8 ft cords which I have 32 cords for my tree faces are on 2 reels as I have extras also but have approx 150 ft on each reel.  15 ft cords are like 10 on each reel..

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/Bayco-Cord-Storage-Reel/0000000008683?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=shopping%2Bsearch&utm_campaign=google%2Bproduct search&gslfah&gclid=CP3qiu3WtNACFVJtfgodSIUKBQ

That also makes it easy if I need a certain length for something else during the off season to find it easy.. My long main supply cords I have on reels also or I dont know what it is called but they are kina weaved together so I can just get one end and pull it and it will un wrap itself... I will have to find what is it called... Kinda like making a chain out of it.

Edited by Old Sarge

• The topic was locked