Light-O-Rama Forums
superslim0five

Safety Harnesses

I am just curious as to what type of safety harnesses everyone uses for both the ladder and roof. This is my first year in a 2-story house and MAN is it huge! I'm not saying that to brag, but the peak is really high, even more so when you are 6'2" and on a ladder. I had to purchase a 28' extension ladder and it works great but there are some parts that require me to get on the roof. As I get near the edge I start to get anxious. I thought I was a little fearful of heights in my one-story house but that is nothing compared to this. I would feel a lot more secure if I had some type of harness but I'm not sure if there is a certain kind I should get or if the group has any recommendations. Any responses are helpful.

A 5 way safety harness (usually called a fall arrest) and something to tie-off to that is ABOVE your work area or same height (NOT BELOW) works well. HOWEVER you need a helper as if you fall, you have about 5 minutes before it cuts the circulation off to your legs... (the helper can be on the ground, just someone to call for help. if you get knocked out).

Honeywell-brand-DL-C1-Workplace-font-b-s

17 minutes ago, a31ford said:

A 5 way safety harness (usually called a fall arrest) and something to tie-off to that is ABOVE your work area or same height (NOT BELOW) works well. HOWEVER you need a helper as if you fall, you have about 5 minutes before it cuts the circulation off to your legs... (the helper can be on the ground, just someone to call for help. if you get knocked out).

Honeywell-brand-DL-C1-Workplace-font-b-s

Whenever in a harness like this always have a suspension relief strap. If you are alone a suspension relief strap will help you take the pressure off your legs until help arrives.

On 11/12/2016 at 2:35 PM, Mr. P said:

I use roofers boots called Cougar Paws and walk around like I'm in my driveway. 

Mr. P, your driveway must have one heck of a slope. :P :D

Edited by Santas Helper
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, Santas Helper said:

Mr. P, your driveway must have one heck of a slope. :P :D

Either that or my roof is very flat.  :)

• Like 1