Light-O-Rama Forums

EDM FM transmitter sale - two models available

taybrynn

taybrynn,

Speaking with my engineering hat on for a moment, that looks like a nice transmitter by reviewing the specs... especially for the price.

I'm all set up on my side, but I need to buy a transmitter for another project, and it must have RDS for the client. You got any idea if this place offers a decent RDS version of that transmitter or work well with a particular RDS encoder?

thanks,

RH

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• taybrynn

• hobbes

• JimCanfield

• Ed Slonka Jr

I'm not aware of unit being sold with RDS capabilities built-in. I know EDM is looking into it, but they haven't found a chip w/RDS built-in that doesn't also lower their other performance specs ... so for now, RDS is only achievable via. an external RDS mod ... probably like the one you have done yourself.

Thanks for the info. For my own system I have a unit from PCS Electronics that has RDS encoder built into the transmiter case all as one unit. It's more than the client wants to spend.

• 3 years later...

Don't like RED LED numeric displays, find them difficult to read (and no I'm not colorblind), but do have visual issues and why I won't buy a kit that requires a lot of soldering. The LCD model would be nice, but since it isn't backlit that also is something I would want. I use my transmitter in a box and with my DC-MP3 Showtime Director and it is in a very low to no light area, so a backlit display is a must for me.

Otherwise I'd have possibly considered one of these units.

So I'll just go with the one I'm consdidering buying come mid-late January 2012 when EDM starts taking orders again as I only have to solder 3 places, the power jack and that's it. That I'm sure I can handle, just have to buy a new soldering iron to do it.

Orville wrote:

Don't like RED LED numeric displays, find them difficult to read (and no I'm not colorblind), but do have visual issues and why I won't buy a kit that requires a lot of soldering. The LCD model would be nice, but since it isn't backlit that also is something I would want. I use my transmitter in a box and with my DC-MP3 Showtime Director and it is in a very low to no light area, so a backlit display is a must for me.

Otherwise I'd have possibly considered one of these units.

So I'll just go with the one I'm consdidering buying come mid-late January 2012 when EDM starts taking orders again as I only have to solder 3 places, the power jack and that's it. That I'm sure I can handle, just have to buy a new soldering iron to do it.

I think Orville has been drinking some of the "special" eggnog! :shock::?

3923d1094252491-osnn-irc-channel-irc-freenode-net-holythreadresbatman.jpg

hey if a post shows up as a recent post in the forums, I'll look it over. I don't always pay attention to the "date" on the post.

For one thing, I can barely make out those headers as they are due to my vision. So I may misread the date anyway.

I need things in very big bold large print to read them. Most standard text sizes I can barely see or read for more than a few minutes. This is why I don't build electronic kits any longer.

So no fancy drink here, just lack of decent eyesight to always see the dates properly.

yeah, an old thread, but like Rock 'n Roll, it's an oldie, bu' a goodie... I have the CZH radio but I'm going to replace it with an EDM/RDS in the Spring.

Surfing4Dough wrote:

It didn't show up in the recent post list until after you posted in it to resurrect it. I think you must have been searching for EDM stuff and stumbled upon it.

You might be correct surfing, I was doing some researcha and searches on EDM units and that could have been it. But it seems to me it was at the top of the list PRIOR to my posting to it and I clicked on it because it did refer to EDM units.

It's just one of those odd things that happens in these here forums from time to time. I know I'm not the only one guilty of resurrecting a thread that is several years old. Happens to a few of us around here it seems.:(:shock: