Light-O-Rama Forums

16 ch. controller with 2 power plugs .

Az. Mike

Running one 16 ch. controller with 2 power cords . I was going to put on side of house and plug one power cord in backyard gfi outlet and the other power cord to front gfi outlet . ( both via  Ext. Cord ) . From what I've read this is okay yes ? - thanks 

yes as long as both are plugged in. depending on how many lights etc, you are running you may also be able to plug into just 1 ext cord using a pigtail splitter as long as your not pulling to many amps... 

• Like 1

You probably don't need to. Just use a waterproof splitter or waterproof two gang socket.

You probably are not pulling more than a few amps on each power input.

• 2 weeks later...

I ran 5 controllers {CTB16PC} on a single dual GFCI outlet that had 5 standard dual {10 total} outlets connected to it via ONE cord to the GFCI.  That was 5 CTB16PC controllers {80 channels} with 2 cords each {10 cords total} all plugged into ONE GFCI outlet, the other outlet on the GFCI was used for lights that had their own controllers and would be turned on with a Photo-Timer that ran those lights from dusk 'til dawn from that side of the outlet.    I never had any issues and I was a mix of L.E.D. and Incandescent lighting.  Mostly the Blow molds were incandescent and most everything else was L.E.D.    Ran my display like this for 5+ years and never had an issue.

So your one controller should be fine plugged into the one GFCI outlet in the back or front, depending on where you want it.  Like stated I ran 5 controllers from 1 GFCI outlet, never had any issues or problems with doing it.    So one controller on 1 outlet shouldn't be a problem at all for your current setup.

In most homes, all of the outside outlets are controlled by one breaker, either 15 or 20 amp. Plugging into opposite sides of the house would do no good. Unless you are running a HUGE amount of lights and motors and air pumps you should be fine plugging them both into the same outler.

A suggestion. Stop in at Home Depot and pick up a Kill-a-Watt. (Look it up on-line. The homedepot.com site will tell you exactly which aisle and bin to find it in your local store.) Then you can check up on how much power each plug is drawing when all lights are on. If both of them added together are drawing less than 12 amps, use one outlet pair.

Edited by philnuffer