Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie Needs Help

mouse0311

I have run one controller on my house for couple of years.  Me and a guy I work with decided to light up our county fair grounds for the community.  We have 5 controllers to light the grounds up with.  Going to do 5 different area's with static displays between.  The grounds make a big horse shoe shape.  Will be drive through display.  Running off one computer.  Needs sequences that could be run this way if possible. Daisy chain all the controllers together.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Wanting to do this ever year and make it bigger each year.  

Thank you

David 

kinda confusing as to what you are looking for. Do you mean you are running 80 different channels or 16 channels on 5 controllers all doing the same thing or what. Also you need to add some info as to your distance, and use of wireless controllers etc. More info Is really needed for many of us here to understand exactly what you are wanting to do. Example, What is the distance of the run around the horse shoe, or across etc... 1/2 mile, 1/4 mile, etc... thats a lot of wire unless you are going wireless.. 

• Like 1

Running 5 controllers each 16 channels.  Using cat5e to connect together.  Not sure what would be the best way to run.  I will add a google map pic of the fair grounds tomorrow when I get to work.  Running from one computer.  Cat5e is cheaper then wireless this year.  Have a lot of power supplies all over the property.  Running the displays near each controller.  I have a really good FM transmitter can't remember name but starts with an E.  Bought on recommended from here.  Can each controller run its own show or run show with 80 channels. Have the channels setup 1-16 in one spot 17-32 next spot and so on.  

Thank you for your help

Sounds like you have it right. Each controller can do its own show in stand alone mode (not to music), or director unit, or its own computer,  but that sounds to messy to me. I would make it as one big show, same song through out the display but different lights setups as you drive through. That way you will only need the one computer and the one transmitter (if its powerful enough). 

There are lots of long songs that would be great. I am pretty certain people will share there large sequences if you ask. Sounds like a neat project. Good luck. 

• Like 1

The area's circled in red is where controllers are going to be set up.  The entrance is up in the left corner of pic and circle around and out.  The red barn up in the left I have made 7 big archies that you drive through.  If anybody has any sequnces that I can run would greatly apprecite.  With a show on each set of channels for controlers.  Sarge does this help.  You can contact me I sent you my contact info.  If anybody would like my contact info just contact me.  

Capture 2.png

like was said... you actually need to set up up more like a 80 channel for people to drive threw.. Trying to set up up as a single show would be kinda like a waste of channels but if you want to run it all as a single show you will just need to make it a 16 channel show and copy each show to each controller (example. copy everything channels 1-16 from controller 1 to controller 2 , controller 4 etc. or maybe copy to controller 3 and have a different show on and have it the same.

you may even be able to have same song playing for all but different things in each section or different props etc. and just set up up with different programming for that controller.. Like running 5 different 16 channel shows at the same time from the same music.. 

you are gping to need a lot of extension cords if you connect elements from one section to elements in a different section.. 

You may be able to get by with using different props and colored lights in each different section to kinda make it look like a different show or even by running more extension cords from example section 1 to section 2 or 3 and add things also to make it look more like a different show by connecting to different things .. Running a show for that distance can be challenging but you really have to decide exactly what you want in each different section and how many channels would want to be different. 

It may be cheaper to get a couple other used computers put in each section and run your show in a couple different sections from a $50 computer from Good will or a thrift store.. Probably cheaper then buying a few miles of extension cords.