Light-O-Rama Forums

Song order!

slim00209

Simple, how do you pick the order of your playlist? I'm having such a hard time. I watch one sequence and I think it's the first but then I watch the next and it takes preference. My show is a mix between fast and slow, so I'm going to alternate between. I'm just not quite sure how I should order them. I kinda like them all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's how I do it I have my show opening song than a fast song and a slow song after that, and I alternate back and forth from there. It's all personal preference.  some people may have all their upbeat songs at the beginning of their show and run the slow ones towards the end to thin out the cars. 

I only try not to have similar songs together.  For example, I have several TSO songs.  They are spread out.  No slow songs together either.

Just now, dougd said:

Use MIIP, let your viewers pick the song order. That is what I do.

I was going to at least play around with MIIP this year, but unable to install it because my show computer is running on Windows XP.  MIIP requires a higher level of .NET than can be installed on XP.  Maybe next year...

36 minutes ago, dougd said:

Your able to still run your show on an XP computer? How many channels are you running?

Yep.  The show computer is 6 or 7 years old (I've had it for 4 years, and it was a lease return refurb when I got it).  As for my show, for 2016 my show is 955 LOR channels and 4,593 E1.31 channels, for a total of 5.548 channels.  A couple hundred of the E1.31 channels are not physically there this year, but they are sequenced.  Last year was a little less.  Last year I found I was running out of CPU horsepower on one really fast song, so I changed to using an intensity file from SuperStar and that put the CPU usage down to just under 20%.  This year absolutely everything is intensity files from SuperStar.

I don't have any 'slow' songs persay, but I do have classic and more modern songs.  For my show, I try to alternate between these classics (Burl Ives, Andy Williams, Ray Conniff Singers, etc.) and my more modern songs (THX dubstep, Feliz Navidub, He's a Pirate, It's Oh So Quiet, Wizards in Winter, etc.).  

Call me old fashioned, but I still like to end with Wizards in Winter.  

To be honest I have used random and check the box not to repeat until everything plays.  Its been good and bad.

- People enjoy not knowing what is next

- People sometimes don't get to see the song they want....ie...all the little ones that want Frozen

For this year I have set it up so that there is a regular song with vocals, then a song without vocals, then a funny song with vocals.  Then another regular vocal song, an instrumental, and a funny song.  I was going to have two slow songs, but decided to remove them for now.  But I may consider adding one of them back in, smack dab in the middle of the 45 minute show, as Christmas gets closer. 

• Like 1

This leads me to ask. How long is too long? I have about an hour of content. Run it all together? Break it up into two different shows? Due to work schedule I'm only able to run my show 3 days a week and 4 every other week for now. I'm not comfortable running it when I'm at work.

Mine will be about 40 minutes this year. I run them all in the same order, and then start the loop again without any pause.

And slim00209, I'm wondering why you don't want the show running when you're at work? I run mine regardless of the weather, if I'm home or not. Unless there is a major technical issue, the show runs on schedule. I get an E-Mail when it starts, changes shows, and ends, so I know that it's running, and I can remotely access the show computer if I want to see real time activity.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

How does the email thing work Jim?

I make use of the ability of the show player to execute Windows commands. At the beginning of the early evening show, there is a startup sequence that is one second long, and has only a single dummy channel that does nothing. However, that sequence is set to execute a Windows command. That command is a batch file. The batch file writes a text file, and then executes a command line based mail client that sends the text file via E-mail. I can give a more detailed answer when I'm on the computer rather than my phone. You can take a look at the page linked below. That has part of it.

http://newburghlights.org/SongLogging.html

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ItsMeBobO said:

Is this a feature request Doug?   Miip is all setup to send emails or texts.   What is it you need? 

I think it sounds like a cool idea Bob. Makes being gone from the display less likely of a ongoing problem. Let me think this one out and I will let you know.

Mine will be about 40 minutes this year. I run them all in the same order, and then start the loop again without any pause.

And slim00209, I'm wondering why you don't want the show running when you're at work? I run mine regardless of the weather, if I'm home or not. Unless there is a major technical issue, the show runs on schedule. I get an E-Mail when it starts, changes shows, and ends, so I know that it's running, and I can remotely access the show computer if I want to see real time activity.

I work nights and a 12 hour shift and so does the significant other. No one will be home on certain days while the show is running. I'd be afraid I'd trip a GFCI or something would happen while I'm gone. I'd hate to have people come by and there not be a show.

I guess that is one advantage to running an essentially all low voltage RGB show - no GFCI issues to worry about.