Light-O-Rama Forums

1/4 Speed Edit Not Syncing with Normal Speed

nmonkman

michael.farney wrote:

George Simmons wrote:
Did re-encoding the file enable sound at 1/4 speed? I've used Audacity to encode all my audio sequencing files and I've still never heard any sound at 1/4 speed.

George Simmons

No, my S2 sequence has been through Audacity many times independent of this issue. I know using Audacity to encode does not fix the 1/4 speed no sound issue for S2.

Michael,

Does your reply mean that you WERE able to hear sound at 1/4 speed in S1?

George Simmons

George Simmons wrote:

michael.farney wrote:
George Simmons wrote:
Did re-encoding the file enable sound at 1/4 speed? I've used Audacity to encode all my audio sequencing files and I've still never heard any sound at 1/4 speed.

George Simmons

No, my S2 sequence has been through Audacity many times independent of this issue. I know using Audacity to encode does not fix the 1/4 speed no sound issue for S2.

Michael,

George Simmons

Yes, S1 would do 1/4 speed correctly for WAV files, but I could never get it to work with MP3.

I was aways under the impression that you were not able to hear music when played at 1/4 speed. Now that I have songs converted to .WAV I will try it again.

JimCanfield wrote:

I was aways under the impression that you were not able to hear music when played at 1/4 speed. Now that I have songs converted to .WAV I will try it again.

1/4 in LOR1 = Works ok with WAV.

1/4 in S2 = Does not work with any file type.

michael.farney wrote:

George Simmons wrote:
michael.farney wrote:
George Simmons wrote:

George Simmons

Michael,

George Simmons

Yes, S1 would do 1/4 speed correctly for WAV files, but I could never get it to work with MP3.

I see the problem here. I should have typed "LOR1" not S1. ;)

nmonkman wrote:

Don't know if anyone else is experiencing this problem or if it is on my end. I never had this problem with LOR I.

When I am sequencing and listening to it on 1/4 or 1/2 speed, it looks like my beat marks from using the tapper wizard are way off.

So I go through and make all the adjustments and then play it on normal speed to check it. Then everything is worse than it was before and it appears as though what I had was right.

I am using Windows Vista with 3ghz dual core and 2gb of RAM so I don't think it is a PC issue. I am using LOR version 2.0.14

Anyone else experience this and/or have any ideas?

Neil M

nmonkman, I am having the same problem. I think it has something to do with Vista. I Have 1 GB of RAM and a 2 GHZ AMD processor, Duel Core, I am also using LOR version 2.0.14

But that's not the only issue. When i go to use the start/pause feature, using the space bar, i get funny timings. I get so mad cause i have listen to to hear a section that is only 5 sec. long.

Huseman Family Lights wrote:

nmonkman, I am having the same problem. I think it has something to do with Vista. I Have 1 GB of RAM and a 2 GHZ AMD processor, Duel Core, I am also using LOR version 2.0.14

But that's not the only issue. When i go to use the start/pause feature, using the space bar, i get funny timings. I get so mad cause i have listen to to hear a section that is only 5 sec. long.

You need to check the encoding of the MP3 you are using. Check back a few posts and you will see that this whole problem started when I used an MP3 that was encoded by someone else. Even though it was 128 kps it was still corrupted.

I sent the MP3 to LOR Support and they re-encoded it with Audacity and it worked fine. I use Acoustica to re-encode all my MP3's and have never had a problem until now.

Apparently the formatting that Audacity uses seems to be the most compatible with LOR software.

Neil

UPDATE!

This post prompted me to do some internal testing to see whay everyone is asking me how I can use 1/4 speed and hear music when they can't.

I am not sure why nobody else hears music at 1/4 speed but hear is what I did find out.

I opened a sequence and selected 1/2 speed and clicked the play icon. Using a simple lap timer I hit it every time there was a beat and then averaged that number. It was about 0.6 seconds per beat.

Then I stopped it, selected 1/4 speed and did the same thing and came up with the same timing.

So apparently there is no difference between 1/2 and 1/4 in LOR. It must just default to 1/2.

Again, not sure why some of you are not hearing sound at 1/4, all I can tell you is that I hear it at any setting, there just appears to be no difference bewtween the two slower speeds.

Neil M

• 2 months later...

I'm BAAAaaack !

Hi guys...

Sorry to reopen a dead subject, but I have taken the plunge (upgraded to 2.0.14). I started sequencing, and switched to half speed, and the little slider that marks the time position seems to stall for about a half second at the beginning of the screen that I play. Quarter speed does the same thing. I can hear the music at both speeds, but with the slider gizmo stalling, it makes these speeds totally useless. This thread seems to indicate that VBR MP3s were the culprit in the cases discussed here, but I don't use MP3s. I use strictly WAVs. This problem cropped up in 1.6.1 for me, and I had to roll back to some other version (cant remember what it was, 1.4???) Anyway, since I've come to the dark side and gone to S2, there is no turning back. I have been seduced by some of the features that have potential, but I haven't learned to use yet. (Oh and I'm actively pursuing a Martin Atomic Strobe... heh heh heh My neighbors are gonna LOVE me!).

At any rate, variable rate isn't my problem, and I would REALLY like to be able to get half and quarter speed working. Sequencing goes SO SLOW at full speed. You have to watch the same 2 second selection at LEAST 50 times to hit your mark points at full speed (depends on how many mark points, of course). Very slow going indeed...

I had mentioned to my son that I wanted to do a "kids night" this year with lots of kids songs, and of course he's told his whole kindergarten class that we will have kids night this year... So.... the pressure is on.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks to all.

D.T.

bob wrote:

Can you please send me a copy of the audio file that you're having this problem with? Thanks.

Bob - I'll send you one of them when I get home. I believe it is ALL of my .wav files, but I can test that too.

D.T.

After reading all the post on 1/4 speed I tried it again on my computer. 1/4 speed did not work the first time and that was using MP3 files, after reading the posts 1/4 speed did work on WAV files but still did not work on MP3 files.

I did notice that it looked like the timing was not right at 1/4 speed, seemed to be lagging some but looked better at 1/2 speed.

BTW my computer is a basic Sony Vio laptop.

Did some testing of old sequences and new sequences at hale and quarter speed. Found that my problem existed in only 1 .WAV file. I used audacity to re-export it, and All seems to be ok. The display jerks a little bit, but it is usable at both 1/2 and 1/4 speed. Looks like .WAV files are affected in addition to .MP3s.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

D.T.