Light-O-Rama Forums

color orange on CCR

audihere

I can't get my CCR's to display the color orange properly.  It always comes up very yellow or nearly white.

Also tried using HU with custom color of (240,100,30) orange and it's showing up nearly white?  Is there a problem with displaying orange?

Testing 100% red, green, and blue in HU work great.

I've always found orange to be difficult to program, I found on my stuff if I got with almost a brown orange is shows up orange, the lighter you go the whiter it ends up being. But everything is different, the color I need for my pixels is different then my RGB floods to get the same color

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just tried several shades of orange and brown light to dark.  I wouldn't call any of those colors orange.  Really strange the CCR's are unable to produce a simple orange color?  

I'm not using CCRs, but I'm using a standard 2811 pixel.  My orange values are 255, 36, 0.  My Warm White is 255, 80, 20 and my Cool White is 255, 175, 100.  The pixels behave far differently in relation to your computer monitor, so you really can't pull colors from the dialogue box and hope they work.  They don't (besides Red, Green and Blue).  It's absolutely necessary to do real-life color matching to find the colors you need.  I've found it helpful to make a chart of all the colors (I have 22 common programming colors) and their respective RGB values.

• Like 1

Wow, the 255,36,0 actually looks reasonably orange.  But like you said, on my computer looks like candy bright red!

Could you please share you list of 22 colors?

Holy Crap!  I just tried your warm white and cool white and they look great on the CCR.  But on the computer looks 1000% different.  It would be nice if there was some color compensation to correct the hue.

Here is my color chart.  A few things to preface:

• Colors are subjective.  Your version of a mauve might not be my version of mauve. 
  • These were designed for 2811 Pixels (3rd Party Vendor). Results may vary on other types.
  • The Warm White was designed to match my WW LED strings. 
  • After creating this chart, I've adjusted 5-6 colors (this is the latest version) because I "thought" the color should be different. Again, it's subjective.
  • I've created 5 palettes in the Pixel Editor so that I can pick any of these 22 colors at random and have consistency throughout my show.
  • This color chart was borrowed from the internet (via Tom BetGeorge after Christmas Expo).

I'd encourage you to make your own chart, or print this one and use it.

PixelColorValues.jpg

Click for a larger, printable version.

Also note that the color values you choose will be influenced by whether or not you specify a dimming curve in the Prop Definition window.

I'll certainly agree that orange is a hard color to create.  And it will be different for different pixels, so you REALLY need to light them up and play with the levels until you get a color that looks right to you.  In fact last night, I was tweeking the colors on my GE Color Effects lights because I did not quite like the results.  I'm using SuperStar which skews RGB levels to make it come out right on CCRs, so it will likely be different when using PE or SE to sequence.  The dumb strips that are part of the landscape lighting look really good with 100% red and 50% green, but for the GECE bulbs, I had to drop the green to 40%.  This is where the hardware utility comes in handy.  You can adjust the colors while looking at the actual lights - preferably mounted where they will be mounted.  Once you find the right combination, write it down.

As a general rule of thumb, the primary colors (red, green,and blue) are pretty easy to get looking right, and the secondary colors (yellow, cyan, and magenta) often work OK with two of the primary colors at 100% (but not always), but beyond that,it can get to be a lot of effort to get it just right.  BTW, even the primary colors may not be a simple one color at 100%.  On most of my lights, for blue, I add 10% green.  Does not change the color much, but it lightens it up a lot.