Light-O-Rama Forums

Assigning Unit#, Start and End Circuit in Pixel Editor

chowell

New to pixel editor this year.  Watched the tutorials but have not seen how to assign these items yet. Unit # should be the unit I.D. I'm guessing, but not sure what to assign the "START" and "END" circuits as.  I'm using RGB pixels for my projects.  For instance, building a 768 pixel matrix with 8 strings of 96 nodes. Are the circuits quite simply 1-96?  Or would it be 96 pixels x 3?  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Corey

Here is a link to the help page for entering that data into the channel assignment section:

http://www.lightorama.com/help/channels2.htm

If you are unsure what a circuit is, click the "circuit" hyperlink on that page - it will take you to a glossary.

That page is also accessible from the Pixel Editor menu by selecting Help > Contents, then navigating to Pixel Editor > Prop Definition

Matt

7 hours ago, chowell said:

For instance, building a 768 pixel matrix with 8 strings of 96 nodes. Are the circuits quite simply 1-96?  Or would it be 96 pixels x 3?

You have 8 strings of 96 nodes.  Each string would take 288 channels (96 * 3).  You don't specify which network technology you're using (ELOR or E1.31), but an easy way of doing things would be to setup your matrix of 8 strings at 96 count each.  If you check Individual Start Channels, each "string" will be on it's own network, for a total of 288 channels per DMX Network or Unit ID.

Here's what that might look like:

prop1.png

Now, if you would "uncheck" Separate Unit # for each RGB String, the LOR software would try to compact them in as "tight" as possible -- using the maximum of 510 channels on each Unit ID (or DMX Universe)  So, this is what things might look like: 

prop2.png

You can see how it shuffles things around.  The first string fits on Unit ID#1 , and most of string 2 fits on it. The leftovers shift to Unit ID #2, and so on.  Both of these are legitimate ways of assigning channels, but I personally like the first way - much easier for me to understand.  

Guys thanks so much!  Awesome replies and both helpful!  I am new to using E1.31 controllers this year.  I have always used LOR equipment and have enjoyed it.  I purchased some new equipment early on in the year before I saw LOR had the pixcon controller and new pixels or I would have stayed put with those for the ease of use.  So knowing I will be using E1.31 via ethernet, it looks like I'll choose DMX in the channel drop down box?  Then label the first circuits 1-288 and LOR will do the rest?  

Next, I am also building a second and smaller matrix that will run on the same controller.  The larger matrix we have been discussing will use 8 of the 16 channels, and the smaller one will run 5 additional channels.  What might the channel assignment look like then?  Do I use the "INDIVIDUAL START CHANNELS" or SEPARATE UNIVERSE # FOR EACH STRING" functions for any of this? 

Thanks again in advance.

Corey

Edited by chowell

I guess while I am bombarding with questions, I'll ask the next ones too.  On a separate E1.31 controller, I will be running 6 smaller vertical matrixes each containing approximately 112 rgb pixels.  For simplicity I was just going to occupy 6 of the 16 controller channels.  Being a separate controller from the controller running the two large matrixes mentioned in the above post, will the universe # have to be different than the above mentioned controller for everything to run?  Example....if the above matrixes use 13 of the 16 channels on the controller and are labeled universes 1-13, will the separate controller used for these 6 smaller matrixes have universes labeled 14-19?  Or can they start over at 1 and the software recognizes it is a different controller? 

Thanks Dennis, so does that mean I will assign channels as I have stated above, or will each controller start over at universe 1?

Corey

no first controller universes 1 thru 16   second controller 17 thru 32  third controller 33 thru 48  and so on.

Thank you Dennis, and everyone.  I figured as much but being new to DMX stuff I wanted to make sure it ran in a similar fashion. 

You guys are all great!

Corey