Light-O-Rama Forums

12 ribbon ccr tree and understanding multi networks

4hoogies

Hello all,

I have been running a standard 7 LOR controller light show for the last 5 years. Two years ago I purchased 12 ccr's, the G3-mp3 director and a super speed 500 usb adapter.  CCR tree is in the works (yes, I realize I am behind in the game), and this year purchased and waiting for the delivery of the 16 pixel strings with Pixie16 and the pixel tree kit with the pixie8 controller. I understand the regular LOR controllers can handle a shared network with 6 ccr ribbons and the other 6 ccr ribbons on another network.  RGB is new to me as this will be the first year to actually try and get the 12 ccr tree up (yes, very sad holding these items for 2 years before using.)

1.  Based on what I have above with my new order, how many networks will I need? Can I get away with only 2 networks? If I need a 3 network, will the pixie16 and pixie8 controller handle being on the same network (#3)?

2. Can the G3-MP3 controller handle more than 2 networks? 

3. If you use more than 2 networks through your computer, am I correct in assuming you will need a usb 485 (500speed) adapter for each network if RGB are being used?

4. I am using 1/2" conduit pipe for the 12-CCR tree (2 -10' poles connected together not built yet ). But haven't quite figured out how to keep it standing? I have a stucco house with a tile roof which makes it very difficult to attach anything to the house. For storage purposes, I don't have any big bases like I have seen in some of your pictures. Do some of you use 3-4 guide wires stuck in the ground if it is not attached to your house or hanging from the rafters?

5. I have noticed many different ways to attach your ccr's to your poles. Do you line up the first ccr of each strip at the bottom? Some have them angled at the top in an upside down "V" under the two tips of your star? or does it even matter if the pixels line up?

6. I have one waterproof 12"x12" junction box to house the ccr controllers but noticing it is very tight trying to fit all 12. Do you guys recommend two instead and is that also to allow for  them to reach your car's that are spread wider at the bottom than the top? Do you have to worry about any of the ccr controllers getting hot if they are too close together in the box?

6a. How many holes did you drill out of the bottom of the junction box in order to fit the ccr wires and the plugin cords? (I have looked at Franks pictures/website and Jim's and many others. It looks like Franks ac/dc adapters are underneath the metal sheeting but can't see where the cords exit the box? any pics from others would be appreciated.) 

7. Do most of you have a star or dome at the top of your 12ccr tree? I don't think it is in the budget for one of Brian's this year. I have looked at a few of the other options out there but my ccr sequences have 6 stars and the other stars I could purchase have 3 or 4? I am already running out of time so resequencing isn't really where I can spend my time even as simple as it might be to remove 1 or 2 channels.

Thank you for any help you all can offer, I have tried to find all the answers through videos and forums but finally had to bite the bullet and ask for help. Good luck with all of your displays this year.

Tara

Sorry I can only share an idea I have concerning mounting your tree.

I will be adding mine next year (hopefully)

Hace you considered placing a pipe in the ground Winthrop concrete around it? When not in use just place an irrigation cover on it.

Thats what I plan on doing

Best of luck

JR

Thank you for your email. I had thought about that. Unfortunately, I live in Arizona and our ground if very hard due to the clay. So it is hard to dig too deep. Not only that, where I can put it, I have an irrigation box already as well as it being very close to where I think our Gas line to the house may run from the street.  I considered cement in a 5 gallon bucket but still didn't know if that would be strong enough to support maybe a pole coming from the back of the tree and then guide wires to support the front and both sides.

Appreciate your feedback,

T

16 minutes ago, 4hoogies said:

Thank you for your email. I had thought about that. Unfortunately, I live in Arizona and our ground if very hard due to the clay. So it is hard to dig too deep. Not only that, where I can put it, I have an irrigation box already as well as it being very close to where I think our Gas line to the house may run from the street.  I considered cement in a 5 gallon bucket but still didn't know if that would be strong enough to support maybe a pole coming from the back of the tree and then guide wires to support the front and both sides.

Appreciate your feedback,

T

We have the dreaded red clay and limestone. My flag pole base (pre tornado) was 2' into the ground. It lasted many years until a tornado bent it.

Cement in a bucket won't be enough by itself IMHO

If you call the utility locator in your area they can check for cables, wire, water lines, gas lines for you and it is free.

HD rents a post hole digger on wheels that would take about 1-5 mins to dig one hole. Or you can get a rock breaker and a manual post hole digger and some water and can prob knock it out in good time.

If you buy a lil larger diameter base pipe and put one or two 80lb bags of quick Crete it will hold. Put the pipe about 2' in ground with a pipe cap on the end that will be buried. Then use the irrigation cap when not in use so that debris won't fall in it during yard maint.

If you use guide wires instead you may be able to utilize them for your lights. Also remember guide wires would still require anchoring and extra distance around the main pole.

If you have a sidewalk you can use, or a small concrete slab you can use redheads (anchor bolts) and make a base plate to anchor it down but the slab needs to be a good depth.

Hopefully this gives you a few more ideas or things to think about.

JR

Let me add one more idea

Since you are using 1/2" conduit you can use 1/2" Carlton or Rayco emt straps and secure it to the side of your home.

Each strap has 1 hole, I'd think 4-6 of them would be enough. Every Hardware store has them and they are cost effective.

of course your tree would be 180 deg

JR

The first try I did for the strip tree was with 1/2" EMT conduit.  It was WAAAAY too heavy.  So. I made mine with super strut and and rope. Here is a link to the pictures of how it's put together.  It is WAAAAY more manageable. 

https://goo.gl/photos/5WCF4NMoeixB9q2HA

Good luck

Thank you all for your input.  BMurray, I appreciate the pics. They really help with the details. Can I ask you what you do with your ccr strips at the end of the season? Do you remove them from the rope and wrap them back up?  I was wondering if I could use the struts on the outside and then use pvc pipes instead of rope for the ccrs.   

Can I also ask you if you run separate the ccrs onto 2 networks? 

Do you have any pictures of the inside of your junction boxes where your controls and ac/dc adapters are?

Lastly, why did you choose to put the junction boxes on the top instead of the bottom? Just curious. 

thanks,

Tara