Light-O-Rama Forums

Light Linker not connecting/working

dkoehler42

I recently obtained a Windows 7 pro computer running 64 bit.  I downloaded and installed the latest version of LOR pro.  Then I pulled out the Light Linkers and installed the drivers on the included CD.  When I open the Hardware tool, I get an error "8002" about Serial Port 1 not opening.  When I go to the LOR RF tab and click "Get Current Configuration", the application crashes instantly.  Can someone help me in time for Halloween?

When you plugged in your USB to RS-485 adapter in, did Windows detect that it had been plugged in, and install the driver for it.  It sounds like you don't have the driver installed for the USB to RS-485 adapter installed, and therefore Windows does not assign a serial port for it.

4 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

When you plugged in your USB to RS-485 adapter in, did Windows detect that it had been plugged in, and install the driver for it.  It sounds like you don't have the driver installed for the USB to RS-485 adapter installed, and therefore Windows does not assign a serial port for it.

The Device Manager shows the serial adapter connected.  There is an update though, if I select Comm 3 from the manual select dropdown in the Comm Setup Port, select "No", and then do the LOR RF "Get Current Configuration" button twice, it seems to work.  I'm on Frequency 16, 57600 speed, and 15 dBm data.  It doesn't seem to hold if I close the Hardware software and relaunch it though.

Edited by dkoehler42
Additional Testing

Yep,you really do need to select the correct serial port.

If I understand your last sentence, that is correct.  The HU does not store the configuration somewhere.  Any time you start the HU, you have to read the configuration for whatever you are trying to configure or control.  That way it's always showing you actual data from a controller or controllers rather than whatever it last talked to.

32 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Yep,you really do need to select the correct serial port.

If I understand your last sentence, that is correct.  The HU does not store the configuration somewhere.  Any time you start the HU, you have to read the configuration for whatever you are trying to configure or control.  That way it's always showing you actual data from a controller or controllers rather than whatever it last talked to.

I wouldn't have an issue with that, but when I start the show in the scheduler, nothing happens.  I enabled the Lightorama Control Panel, set it to run at start up.  When I restarted, the LORCommListener keeps coming up.  If I go back to the HU, click the "Get Current Configuration" button twice, the HU detects the units.  However, the channels show nothing.  The light in the Showtime box stays solid red, but there is no visible action.  After a short while, the following appears in the LOR Status:

12:15:14 AM: Comm Listener error 3: Comm Winsock Error / 10061: Connection is forcefully rejected
12:15:16 AM: Comm Listener error 3: Comm Winsock Error / 10061: Connection is forcefully rejected
12:15:17 AM: Connected to Comm Listener
12:15:18 AM: Show Player starting
12:15:18 AM: Schedule loaded
12:15:19 AM: Initializing LOR networks
12:15:19 AM: LOR networks initialized
12:15:25 AM: Schedule loaded
12:15:28 AM: Show Player initialized
12:15:30 AM: Starting show: C:\Users\dkoehler\Documents\Light-O-Rama\Sequences\Halloween 2016.lss
12:15:30 AM: Loading compressed sequence: C:\Users\dkoehler\Documents\Light-O-Rama\Sequences\Halloween2016.las.lcs
12:15:31 AM: Starting Animation: C:\Users\dkoehler\Documents\Light-O-Rama\Sequences\Halloween2016.las.lcs
12:16:39 AM: Comm Listener error 3: Comm Winsock Error / 10053: Connection is aborted due to timeout or other failure
12:16:44 AM: Connected to Comm Listener
12:16:50 AM: Immediate shutdown requested
12:16:50 AM: Show Player shutting down
12:18:25 AM: Comm Listener error 3: Comm Winsock Error / 10053: Connection is aborted due to timeout or other failure
12:18:27 AM: Connected to Comm Listener
12:25:03 AM: Comm Listener error 3: Comm Winsock Error / 10053: Connection is aborted due to timeout or other failure
12:25:06 AM: Connected to Comm Listener
12:25:26 AM: Show Player starting
12:25:26 AM: Schedule loaded
12:25:26 AM: Initializing LOR networks
12:25:26 AM: LOR networks initialized
12:25:30 AM: Show Player initialized
12:25:31 AM: Starting show: C:\Users\dkoehler\Documents\Light-O-Rama\Sequences\Halloween 2016.lss
12:25:31 AM: Loading compressed sequence: C:\Users\dkoehler\Documents\Light-O-Rama\Sequences\Halloween2016.las.lcs
12:25:32 AM: Starting Animation: C:\Users\dkoehler\Documents\Light-O-Rama\Sequences\Halloween2016.las.lcs
12:26:33 AM: Immediate shutdown requested
12:26:33 AM: Show Player shutting down
12:26:52 AM: Show Player starting
12:26:52 AM: Schedule loaded
12:26:52 AM: Initializing LOR networks
12:26:52 AM: LOR networks initialized
12:26:56 AM: Show Player initialized
12:26:57 AM: Starting show: C:\Users\dkoehler\Documents\Light-O-Rama\Sequences\Halloween 2016.lss
12:26:57 AM: Loading compressed sequence: C:\Users\dkoehler\Documents\Light-O-Rama\Sequences\Halloween2016.las.lcs
12:26:57 AM: Starting Animation: C:\Users\dkoehler\Documents\Light-O-Rama\Sequences\Halloween2016.las.lcs
12:29:49 AM: Comm Listener error 3: Comm Winsock Error / 10053: Connection is aborted due to timeout or other failure
12:29:52 AM: Connected to Comm Listener

Edited by dkoehler42

You can't run the hardware utility at the same time that the show player is trying to run.  That will result in a conflict for the comm port.  I don't know the Winsock and comm listener error numbers off hand, but that may be what is happening.  Yes, the Comm Listener will come up, and can normally be minimized and ignored.

One other thing, if you run the Network Configuration, do you have the Regular network set to use port Com 3?

2 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

You can't run the hardware utility at the same time that the show player is trying to run.  That will result in a conflict for the comm port.  I don't know the Winsock and comm listener error numbers off hand, but that may be what is happening.  Yes, the Comm Listener will come up, and can normally be minimized and ignored.

One other thing, if you run the Network Configuration, do you have the Regular network set to use port Com 3?

LOR Network Configuration is set to Com 3.  When I attempted to run the show, I had closed the HU.  I remember that from the old computer.  New behavior since I verified the network config setup by saving the regular network to Com 3, is that the LOR Control Panel is not responding to "Connected to comm listener".  I'm starting to get the idea I should uninstall all of LOR and reinstall.