Light-O-Rama Forums

Seeking Input on Equipment Purchase Path

pillbug22

Hi all,

I have been looking at LOR products the last couple of holiday seasons, and think we are ready to start making the switch to LOR from traditional bulb light strings.

For getting started, I'm thinking about getting LOR (to do the eves with minimal controllers/hardware to do even just solid white like traditional lights with the intent to add pieces each year to start building a true show. Even though I'm thinking start small and add, I prefer to purchase items that can be added to/expanded, not something I'll have to replace in a year or 2 if we outgrow.

Is this as simple as the CC 100 bulb set with controller (http://store.lightorama.com/cc100busetwi.html), Generic Starter Package (http://store.lightorama.com/spk800.html), with extra light strings (http://store.lightorama.com/cocoburest.html) as needed?

Just have this feeling I'd be missing something...

Thanks in advance!

At this point in time I would recommend waiting for the sales. Unless you have been playing with the demo software for awhile and already have a solid grasp on sequencing you are already out of time. I started last year with 32 channels and ended up with 80. I spent about 9 months playing around with the software before I bought anything. Just my two cents.

This is my first year as well. I bought the Pro starter kit and another Pro controller. It is rather late in the game to get started (it's only October and i'm already stressing about finishing everything!) but you're only as limited as your budget at this point. If you're really looking to have a small show this year I might would suggest working with some of what you have (led lights/incandescent lights) and maybe try 16 or 32 channels. Sequences can be purchased and many people on this forum can provide free ones as they have with me. This way, you wouldn't have to worry so much about sequencing and still have a show this year. Then you'd be able to tell if you'd like to delve deeper into this addictive hobby. If so, you'd have a good 10 months or so to get familiar with the software and make any upgrades like CCRs, pixels, mega trees, etc.

I would also suggest remaining within your comfort zone.  It's no sin to start small - it's a lot easier to find problems.  Get a feel for how everything works together.  Spend the time enjoying what you're doing.  When you see your lights operating in conjunction with the music it all suddenly becomes worth it.

It helps to have no life.

Be advised, however, that no matter what you do, or how much you like it, or how much fun you have... a couple years from now you'll look back and cringe.  :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the input, all.

Agreed with the idea it all takes time, and that's why I was thinking just get the basic equipment needed to do plan, solid white lights (like we've always had - no sequences this season), then I have all next year to start playing with sequences. Figured once I started messing around I'd want to add some, so could split up the cost by starting now wth pure basics, then add as needed.

Just wanted to make sure that whatever I purchased now would be easily expandable through next year as needs arise.

2 minutes ago, pillbug22 said:

Just wanted to make sure that whatever I purchased now would be easily expandable through next year as needs arise.

It's all expandable, the only limit is your imagination and time.

31 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

It's all expandable, the only limit is your imagination and time.

And of course the wallet, that's why I suggested waiting for the sales.

Z

Is this as simple as the CC 100 bulb set with controller (http://store.lightorama.com/cc100busetwi.html), Generic Starter Package (http://store.lightorama.com/spk800.html), with extra light strings (http://store.lightorama.com/cocoburest.html) as needed?

Not quite. The Cosmic Color Bulbs/Pixels are a great buy, but if you're looking at more than (2) 50ct strands, there are much better options. The CCB come with a controller and two strands, and only can power THOSE two strands.

The Pixcon16, for example, can power 16 strings (all from one controller) while the Pixie 4/8/16 Controllers can operate 4, 8 or 16 strings, respectively. You're able to purchase LORs pixels (not replacement strings) or 3rd party vendors and hook them up to the controller...if you're looking to take a little DIY route to save some serious cash.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

On 10/23/2016 at 3:50 PM, lkcubsrule said:

Not quite. The Cosmic Color Bulbs/Pixels are a great buy, but if you're looking at more than (2) 50ct strands, there are much better options. The CCB come with a controller and two strands, and only can power THOSE two strands.

The Pixcon16, for example, can power 16 strings (all from one controller) while the Pixie 4/8/16 Controllers can operate 4, 8 or 16 strings, respectively. You're able to purchase LORs pixels (not replacement strings) or 3rd party vendors and hook them up to the controller...if you're looking to take a little DIY route to save some serious cash.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Great information, thank you so much.

If we are wanting to keep with the aesthetics of larger bulbs like the C9,  sounds like finding some third-party strings would be the way to go?