Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB ribbons

primvip

I Ann looking to get into RGB for next season. My question is how do most of users attach the strips to your house and windows? Also, if you do a window from do the ribbons make 90 degree bends easily? 

Lastly, can you cut the ribbons to length then how do you link ribbons together. 

Thanks for any feedback. 

I personally buy rolled steel square tubs and a friend of mine welds eye hooks to them and I have hooks under the eves.  All the house strips go up in an hour or two.  I don't do windows but I do around the garage door and for the corners I end it and put water proof connector when I put it together I plug it in.   I leave enough so I can sorta overlap.  I do this so it can come apart and be stored easily.   I use EMT for my garage doors.  PVC would work fine as well but I wanted something a little more rigid and the price wasn't much more.. They do sell 90 degree elbows for strips but I have never used them before.  Hopefully someone can chime in on that.  

For strips I use 2811 strips and they can be cut at each solder joint so about ever 2-3 inches.  Most even have scissor marks.  

I use Vinyl "F" and "J" Channel for mine. (These are generally used for edges for siding)  Then I use shingle hooks to attach them to my roof peaks.  I also slide them under my eaves as well.  The eaves stay up all year for accent lighting for the different holidays through out the year.  My pics are a little hard to see, but around the 7:08 mark in the video I show how I do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5i2F72IyBY

Strip-Light-2.jpgStrip-Light-3.jpg

You can cut the ribbons to length.  They have little marks where you can cut them, usually every 3 lights.  They don't make a 90 degree bend so you will have to cut at that point.  They do make 90 degree connectors to make it easy, but in my opinion it's best that you solder a wire on the corners instead.  This make a much better connection with less chance of light failure.

58 minutes ago, primvip said:

Once you cut the led strip do you have to seal the cut end some how?how do you seal it if so?

Yes you do.  My preferred method is to cover it with about a inch long tube of the heat shrink tubing that has the goo inside.  After shrinking that, cover that with a second layer that is at least a half inch longer (overlapping equally on both ends of the first layer of heat shrink).  Sorry, not the best photo for this purpose.

Tree_ring_strip.jpg

If you don't have the heat shrink with the goo inside, instead squeeze some GE Silicon II into the end, and then cover with two layers of heat shrink.  Note, make sure you use the Silicon II, and not Silicon.  The original Silicon will release acetone as it cures which is not good for the electronics.  You can sort of see how far I squeeze the GE Silicon II into the strip.  Yes, one of the LEDs is completely covered in the GE Silicon II.

Steps_wiring_looking_up.jpg

thank you for the feedback. I am just curious how to hang the lights. My house peak is really high, so getting them to the peak will be difficult.

I have all 12mm rgb bulbs:

they're mounted to these

http://www.boscoyostudio.com/products/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_6&products_id=2

then tie wrapped to 1/2" emt tubing;  some are permanently mounted under the eaves , the rest on clips mounted to my house; easy to take down and put up

possibly rent a "cherry picker" to mount the ones up high; I used a 23' ladder but only had to do the high ones once

18 hours ago, Little_b said:

I use Vinyl "F" and "J" Channel for mine. (These are generally used for edges for siding)  Then I use shingle hooks to attach them to my roof peaks.  I also slide them under my eaves as well.  The eaves stay up all year for accent lighting for the different holidays through out the year.  My pics are a little hard to see, but around the 7:08 mark in the video I show how I do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5i2F72IyBY

Strip-Light-2.jpgStrip-Light-3.jpg

You can cut the ribbons to length.  They have little marks where you can cut them, usually every 3 lights.  They don't make a 90 degree bend so you will have to cut at that point.  They do make 90 degree connectors to make it easy, but in my opinion it's best that you solder a wire on the corners instead.  This make a much better connection with less chance of light failure.

I too use J channel to hang mine.  I hold them underneath my eaves on the sofit or facia with binder clips.  Been up 2 years without issue and easy to remove if needed

13 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Yes you do.  My preferred method is to cover it with about a inch long tube of the heat shrink tubing that has the goo inside.  After shrinking that, cover that with a second layer that is at least a half inch longer (overlapping equally on both ends of the first layer of heat shrink).  Sorry, not the best photo for this purpose.

If you don't have the heat shrink with the goo inside, instead squeeze some GE Silicon II into the end, and then cover with two layers of heat shrink.  Note, make sure you use the Silicon II, and not Silicon.  The original Silicon will release acetone as it cures which is not good for the electronics.  You can sort of see how far I squeeze the GE Silicon II into the strip.  Yes, one of the LEDs is completely covered in the GE Silicon II.

Goo, a highly technical term in our hobby.