Light-O-Rama Forums

CMB24D & 50watt flood questions

mavrick331

How far can I run a CAT-5 cable from a 16 CH controller to CMB24D?   Last year it was only 20' without a problem.  I daisy chained 3, 16 channel controllers, then to CMB24D.

Also, I now have 2, 50 watt rgb floods, they have 2 cat-5 connections on them, how do I plug them in to the above ?  Instructions are vague at best.  I'm thinking that I daisy chain into the other, then connect the input side on the output side of CMB24D?  Is there a distance limitation of the flood cat-5 length, and can I put the floods before CMB24D? 

Thanks in advance,

Rick

It's just a controller, from a data standpoint. The data connection is just like any other connection. Place it anywhere in the chain you want.

I'm a little confused on your question of "put the floods before CMB24D". The floods connect to the controller.  

1 minute ago, Santas Helper said:

I'm a little confused on your question of "put the floods before CMB24D". The floods connect to the controller.  

The 50w's have their own controller. They don't connect to anything. The controller is part of the light.

Thanks for the responses,..  I know that the floods have there own controllers, and need to be addressed, but they need to have an input side to work.., just need to know where the input comes from assuming I have CMB24D after my 3 controllers.    I still need to know if there is a distance limitation for the cat-5 between my last controller and CMB24, it looks like my layout will be 70 feet..

I'm thinking I will connect this way: 3 16 channel controllers, then CMB24D, then daisy chain the 2 floods.   

Rick

The RS485 protocol is good for up to 4000 feet. So start from your computer/director to the very last controller ... and you have 4000 feet to work with.

If you connected it:

Computer -> ctb16 -> ctb16 -> ctb160> CMB24d -> 50wFlood -> 50watt flood --- you would simply use the network cable to get from one controller to the next. The CMB and Floods have RJ45 jacks, just like the other controllers. Just think of them as a controller and make the connection. (In other words, don't try and over think it ... just know it's a controller and you daisy chain it just like other controllers.)

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Don said:

The 50w's have their own controller. They don't connect to anything. The controller is part of the light.

Thanks Don. It's hard to keep up on new stuff now days. :)

• The topic was locked