Light-O-Rama Forums

Chasing the same color for RGB in DMX question

Santas Helper

So I'm diving in the DMX pool just a bit. The water is a bit cool. :)

If I have a group of 50 pixels with the RGB for each (150 total) and want to perform a chase of one color through out the group, is there an easy way to do that?

If I want just the blues to chase in that group but the channel layout is RGB, RGB, RGB, ...how do I get around the RG channels to just chase the blue?

I did a quick search but didn't see anything that stood out so sorry if I missed something in past posts.

Thanks for your help,

Tom

Edited by Santas Helper

I took a look at it and I can't see a way to do it in RGB. Once you open the color fade tool to get your RGB color you can't open the chase tool or the color fade tool closes. So you can't have both tools open. Maybe this is something LOR can work on is to allow other tools to open when the color fade tool is open. Maybe a chase option in the color fade box.

Thanks Mr. P,

I was just hoping not to have to move channels of the same RGB color to be in a group side by side to do easy chases with that particular color. I may not have a choice.

it would be nice to have the option to, after selecting the color, chase all the "same colors" for that group as they sit in RGB pattern/configuration.

So how do others out there do it? Chase the same color in RGB?

45 minutes ago, Santas Helper said:

Thanks Mr. P,

I was just hoping not to have to move channels of the same RGB color to be in a group side by side to do easy chases with that particular color. I may not have a choice.

it would be nice to have the option to, after selecting the color, chase all the "same colors" for that group as they sit in RGB pattern/configuration.

Create another track and move the RGB channels together there and leave them alone on the master.

47 minutes ago, Santas Helper said:

I keep an animated test sequence that I keep to create certain effects in or store certain effects that I find in other sequences. Sorta like a library where I can go and copy certain effects when I need them in my main sequences.

Did you convert all 50 pixels to RGB. Not just separate channels labeled as RG&B. to clarify you should have 50 RGB channels not a hundred and fifty channels separately. If they're converted you can select blue when you expand the colors. Then you use your Chase tool through all 50 RGB channels and it will select just the blue.

Yes, I have 50 channels for the pixels with RGB as a child channel within it (150 total).

I tried selecting the blue in the first segment and drag to include the other pixel channels but it included all RGB channels in with the chase.

I will try it again when I get home just to verify.

19 minutes ago, Santas Helper said:

Yes, I have 50 channels for the pixels with RGB as a child channel within it (150 total).

I tried selecting the blue in the first segment and drag to include the other pixel channels but it included all RGB channels in with the chase.

I will try it again when I get home just to verify.

So I just confirmed with version 4.3.14. I have icicles that are RGB 99 pixels 297 channels. All channels are converted to RGB. I opened up icicle one then expanded the colors on the 1st pixel and selected a fade down in the blue. Then I Collapsed the colors and selected the chase button and dragged through all 99 pixels and it chased nothing but the blue. If this doesn't work it might be the version of sequence editor that you're using. When they're converted to proper RGB channels they show up black Not Grey in the sequence editor

• Like 1

Sweet!!!

So I have 4.3.14. And yes, the channels show up black when not expanding the child (RGB) channels.

I will try it again this evening. Thank you for taking the time to try it yourself. 

Thanks guys. now my only issue is the excuse to take off work early so I can play some. :)

I love this forum and the great users here. B)

As a side note. When I got started with RGB the first thing I did was 8 RGB mini trees. One thing that helped with converting sequences was setting up a second track with all the colors grouped. So I had trees 1 through 8 red, then trees 1 through 8 green, and trees 1 through 8 blue. Doing this makes it a breeze to convert AC channels

And that's how I've done my channel config since 2006. i would have all my same colors of that prop in a group. So when I created new RGB channels I saw the difference right off and knew I better get this figured out before wasting a lot of time on something I shouldn't. So thank you for sharing your tips/tricks.

Okay, so I approached the boss with, "hey boss, I'm taking off early to work on the company holiday party light show". :)

Okay, maybe not but it sounded good. But I did take off.

And YESSSS, it worked. At first I didn't collapse the pixel columns after clicking chase and it still chased all colors, like yesterday. But then collapsed the pixel channel and highlighted several other collapsed pixels and it work!!!!

So again, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Tom

Edited by Santas Helper

Glad you got it working. I sequence my landscape lighting in SE, and all but a few channels are RGB. I chase with all the time and it works right.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

Yes Jim. I've been chasing LOR for 10 years (getting tired too :) ).

This RGB stuff is indeed a learning curve but worth it. Especially when great folks here can be of help.

The funny thing is I just chased some new arches three weeks ago that I am putting in this year and I couldn't remember how I did it until Ebuechner  mentioned it   :wacko:

Talk about a brain fart.