Light-O-Rama Forums

Maximum Pixels?

zvacman

Although I started really early life got in the way and I'm back at it again. My question is, what is the max number of pixels without power injection?  I'm running 12v with 16awg wire.  The first pixel of each universe run is within 10-12 feet of the controller.  I've been trying to do the layout with 100 or less pixels per universe but I have one run that is going to end up with closer to 150.  Am I going to have a noticeable drop on that run?  It wouldn't be good because it's part of my roofline.  As always input is greatly appreciated.

Z

This will depend on the pixel type you are using as it differs. Example would be 2811 12v ribbon/strip is around 65 pixels before noticeable color issues in white. Whereas 12v 2811 nodes is 100-200 with white.

there is really no exact number, above is my experience with my setup. 

2 minutes ago, saxon said:

This will depend on the pixel type you are using as it differs. Example would be 2811 12v ribbon/strip is around 65 pixels before noticeable color issues in white. Whereas 12v 2811 nodes is 100-200 with white.

there is really no exact number, above is my experience with my setup. 

The pixels in question are indeed 2811 nodes.  I guess I'll just roll the dice and push forward with my plan.  I'm trying to avoid full white in my sequences due to the fact that I have a ton of white 110v LED lights in the show already.

Thanks, Z

I have a 200 pixel node prop with over 40 feet from controller. It worked but much better after I added power. Overall brighter.

I am guessing your roof line is 3 sets of 50 nodes? I would run extra power at the connection between 100 and 101.

I would say you'll be just fine but I would run a bench test with and without injection and see if it's too your liking. 

general rule of thumb is inject power every 50 pixels (lot depends on the actual pixels, size of wire, starting voltage at the first pixel etc).  inject power at 75 pixels and the end of  the 150. keep the power connected from #76 and #75.  This will allow power from the beginning and end of each of the 75 pixels.

• Like 1