• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scooch

• wbaker4

• Mr. P

• Dennis Laff

Your power leads from the Power supplies to the bus bar must be a bigger gauge, or run additional leads  (in parallel) from the power supply to the bus bar.

I have never been a fan of those splicers that you are using.  Soldering is best.

Should have two bus bars.  One for each power supply - connecting only the grounds together between the supplies.

So it looks like you have the two power supply outputs tied together or what is called a redundant mode. These cheaper power supplies are not meant to be tied together as they wouldn't have the extra circuitry for what is called OR-ing, two power source into a single load. You may be getting a dirty power input because of the two tied together. I would recommend completely separating the two power supplies and run one side of the board and injections from one PS and the other side of the board and injections from the other.

Edited by Mr. P

16 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

So it looks like you have the two power supply outputs tied together or what is called a redundant mode. These cheaper power supplies are not meant to be tied together as they wouldn't have the extra circuitry for what is called OR-ing, two power source into a single load. You may be getting a dirty power input because of the two tied together. I would recommend completely separating the two power supplies and run one side of the board and injections from one PS and the other side of the board and injections from the other.

Is the problem you describe because of the continuous pixel string fed from both ends or the fact that both power supplies are feeding it?

Just now, Scooch said:

Is the problem you describe because of the continuous pixel string fed from both ends or the fact that both power supplies are feeding it?

I am going with both PS tied together. I would completely separate the two circuits and that may clean up the power source.

To me the lights in the video look like they are fluctuating due to inconsistent power. The butterfly pattern is there but the lights just don't act the way they should.

If the power supplies are tied together and they aren't exactly matched then each PS is sending out its current at a different wavelength which is resulting in dirty power. Separate the two circuits and feed each string off the same PS.

Your configuration was correct as it was set.  Put it back the way it was and get the power straightened out.

Edited by wbaker4

3 hours ago, wbaker4 said:

Your configuration was correct as it was set.  Put it back the way it was and get the power straightened out.

thats what I was thinking. I will add another busbar and separate the power supplies.  

27 minutes ago, wbaker4 said:

Looking forward to seeing your success!  I know you invested some serious $$$ in this!

Damn things not cheap. 

I don't very much that it's a power problem I have a similar matrix I run one hundred pixels zig -zag every 25 pixels no power injection 10 strings like this. I set it up in the pixel editor  ten strings ten universes  using the  the matrix. Prop.

Have you tried to make this Matrix in Visualizer and test it with Superstar or Sequence Editor? I understand you can't use the same butterfly effect but you could just display color bars etc... Just to rule out Power Issues and PE as the problem. Seems like it would just take a few minutes to do. Just thinking...

This has no bearing on the issues your having, I was curious as to what the spacing between pixels on the netting you are using is?

Alan...

Edited by default
Had a brainstorm of an idea :o

On 10/14/2016 at 5:40 PM, Scooch said:

OK. Sorry for not including everything. I am running as LOR. The config in PE was set up through the PE not imported. The video was taken from what is the side of the matrix so the dimensions are 42 wide by 24 high. Everything else that you stated is correct. I am powering the matrix and controller using 2x300w 60A power supplies. They feed the controller directly and distribute power to the matrix via a multi post bus bar. The power and data are conducted through 14G wire to the matrix. 

I am no expert by any means but it seems to me that 14 gauge wire is too big of wire for running data. I only use 22 gauge wire for my data. My setup is with a Falcon controller so not sure about the pixcon. I tried using a thicker wire for data when I started but had no luck and it was also 14 gauge. Just a thought

May be a good idea to bring the ground wire out of the controller along with the Data signal.   Do this in addition to the ground already fed from the power supply.

Long wires with high currents can give a different potential between the two ground sources.