Light-O-Rama Forums

Switching CTB16PC's over to DMX

Sizzler

Ok to keep things a little more simpler for me I am going to be using two CTB16PC controller off one of my pixcon16 dmx outputs. The CTB16PC's are currently set for LOR Unit 1 channels 1-16, and LOR Unit 2 Channels 17-32. I want to keep them those numbers for dmx channels. Do I have to anything to them other then run a cat5e from pixcon16 to CTB16PC#1 then jumped to CTB16PC#2, or do I have to reflash them or change jumper pins, a crossover cable, etc ? Will also be going to my CMB24D then to a 9Ch DMX receiver at end. So that brings up any need to terminate with end of line resister? Last year only had the 9Ch running off DMX with no termination, but this year hoping if all works well to have 4 units total on dmx line(3 LOR + 1Standard DMX at end of maybe 60') Just looking for knowledge from those who changed over already to something similar, and what to expect? Thanks in Advance

Don

If it makes difference, I will have above controllers on universe 17

Also CTB's are ver#2 7years old

Edited by Sizzler
added info

you have to use the conversion chart for DMX that is in the manual to assign an ID for your start channels

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 6:40 PM, Dennis Laff said:

you have to use the conversion chart for DMX that is in the manual to assign an ID for your start channels

Dennis,  

I think I maybe missing a part of instructions for my CTB's the one I have with the planet Christmas on front does not say anything about using DMX. I know that LOR controllers can be either or, so I am thinking that I need cross over cable to make the CTB's DMX? I remember setting the unit ID's in the hardware utility. The CMB24D is self explanatory being there are jumpers and standard Binary DIP switches, I do this type of setting for years in my everyday work, so I am no stranger to that. I use a lot of rs-485,rs-422 and depending on the length and resistance of run sometimes have to terminate EOL(end of line) with an EOLR=(end of line resistor) some equipment has a resistor switch built in if its at end, so far in my LOR setup I have had to set any resistance being I only had a single DMX unit. Not sure with my short run and being only 4 controllers in line if I have to terminate end? My real question is with using the CTB's in DMX mode i'm assuming I have to use a crossover cable? And that my units being set as 1&2 will automatically be dmx addresses 1-32? Again the CMB is no problem as that is year round in use and I already switched that over without any hitches. Any info on using the CMB's on DMX is my concern. Thanks

Don

THAT NEW GUY,

Thanks for the post 1+16+32 that part I know, looking more for using the CTB's on DMX. Thanks

Don

I know you don't need a crossover cable on the cmb 24  I don't  have a pixcon but I don't think you need a crossover cable either.

• Like 1

On the pixcon make sure the jumpers are set to LOR. It will still output dmx but it will use the LOR pinout. Dmx are pins 1-2 LOR uses 4-5. That's all those jumpers do. Nothing else is needed. When you connect the LOR boxes they will auto detect what protocol is being used. Red light on board should stay on solid. Might need a termination jumper but that's it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies. What i'll probably do then is e1.31.to pixcon, then leave pixcon jumpers in LOR mode, standard Ethernet patch cable to CTB1 then 2, again to cmb24, at last i'll crimp a crossover to far 12Channel DMX receiver (fighting snowman prop) I've been so busy making new sequences since 3/4 of my display changed this year, I find it better to just start fresh, and using xlights then was going to convert back to LOR to keep some sequences, but now thinking probably just going to stay with xlights, and already upgraded to pro for the pixel editor. Oh well

Don

I have done the same thing. Switched over my controllers to DMX and running everything in Xlights. I couldn't be happier everything is running smoother in Xlights. The file size isn't nearly as bulky and I wasn't forced to pay extra for something like intensity files ( I think they got that idea from xlights with Matt Brown) I still like the sequence editor but I can no longer use it because the lag is so bad while trying to edit a sequence. I asked questions but I never got a clear answer other than pointing the finger elsewhere (tried on 2 other computers same result). Xlights flies on the same computer that sequence editor ran so slow on with the same channel count. I'm hoping that light ORama comes up with some software that is more competitive with the market today and that isn't broken up into so many different sections. Sequence editor, pixel editor, visualizer, and Superstar should all work more as one program rather than broken up the way they are with different file formats for each in my opinion (as a paying customer). 

Edited by Ebuechner
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ebuechner said:

I'm hoping that light ORama comes up with some software that is more competitive with the market today and that isn't broken up into so many different sections. Sequence editor, pixel editor, visualizer, and Superstar should all work more as one program rather than broken up the way they are with different file formats for each in my opinion (as a paying customer). 

Like everything in life, there are advantages and disadvantages to different ways of doing things.  A good comparison would be Windows vs Unix (and I'm talking at the OS level).  Windows mostly operates with a few large programs that are huge and do lots of things.  Unix components are generally tiny and do one thing only.  Advantages and disadvantages to each methodology.

My understanding is that one of the main goals of S5 is to better integrate SS, PE and SE together.  It will be interesting to see how it works.  As far as intensity files goes, as a computer geek, the whole concept of intensity files makes so much sense.  Again using a computer analogy, it's the difference between a interpreter driven program vs a compiled program.  Particularly for people using large numbers of DMX channels (that includes E1.31), not having the show computer have to calculate the value of every DMX channel forty-something times every second is huge.  I know it made a huge difference in my old and slow show computer last year.

BTW, personally I can't imagine editing my show in SE.  I'm sequencing just over 5500 channels (although some of those won't actually exist this year).  I will have only one channel in my SE configuration (and that largely because you can't have zero channels).  Everything else will be intensity files from SuperStar.

• The topic was locked