Light-O-Rama Forums

Android app

sonoma

Was wondering if light o Rama will join the android revolution and launch an app for that OS for all the phones and tablets out there.

3 minutes ago, sonoma said:

Was wondering if light o Rama will join the android revolution and launch an app for that OS for all the phones and tablets out there.

I'd be somewhat surprised.

4 hours ago, Don said:

I guess that'd be based on personal preference. 11 years now, haven't needed/wanted one yet, personally.

And it's thinking like that that now has me using xlights. I own my own business and it's radically changed over 30 years. If I didn't listen to my customers I would have failed a long time ago.

• Like 1

I used to do a little sequencing on a 10 inch laptop. It worked but it wasn't pleasant, Can't imagine sequencing on a phone or tablet without a mouse.

Perhaps an app that could control a light show, but we already have those capabilities with things like BobO's MIIP and remote software like VNC.

Just thinking out loud here ...

The current structure of the LOR software/hardware requires that a computer or a director be running the show. Of course if you are doing standalone (animation only) on a Director then that would be run from the controller.

To control a director driven show via an app, it'd require the director to have some sort of internet connection in order to receive the commands from the app. Though I suppose you could remove the internet requirement and connect to the director in some other way. Not sure if that would be bluetooth, or somehow creating a local LAN for things to run on. Either way, you'd have to add something to the director. 

Now for shows that are running via a computer. We have the same issue, how to get the command from the phone to the computer running the show. There are a lot of variables here. Would you have an app running on the PC that was connected to the phone? Would the software have an internet requirement that connected to a mothership, to allow the commands from your phone to get to the correct computer? As others have mentioned, sequencing would be a nightmare on something as small as a phone, etc,

One idea that comes to mind would be to have an app that connects to your computer (somehow) and lets you run commands from the command line. Get some CLI support build into the LOR software, and one might have a way to play a specific show, test pattern, etc.

7 hours ago, Ebuechner said:

And it's thinking like that that now has me using xlights. I own my own business and it's radically changed over 30 years. If I didn't listen to my customers I would have failed a long time ago.

I suspect if LOR had a significant portion of their customers sending in requests asking for an App, it might get some attention. I have no idea how often it's requested of them.

6 hours ago, dougd said:

What would this app do?

Just to have an app to say you have an app is pointless.

An app is what used to be called a program.   B)      

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sonoma said:

We need an app for Android just saying

To do what?  I can't comprehend sequencing on an Android - I really hate to sequence on a single large monitor (normally have two and will have three one of these days), doing so on a 6 inch android would rank right up there with putting my hand into a blender and turning it on!

Now, once in a while I do remote into my show computer using VNC on my android when I need to start a sequence on demand while standing out in the front yard doing testing, but that's about the limit of it.  Even for that, unless it's something really fast and easy, I will fire up the laptop rather than using the Android.

I always use VNC on my phone to get into the hardware utility for testing purposes(and once in a while to start or stop the show). I'm still using incandescent lights so almost nightly I'm out there fixing a strand or two.

VNC works perfect for me. IMHO an app to control the hardware and/or show is the only useful thing it would do. I don't think anybody would really want to sequence on a phone or tablet.

I am a developer and have thought about this for years now: Imagine an application that can be used on an ipad iphone or android device that would allow you to sequence individual props / rgb devices etc..  You would be able to tap controls and use sliders kinda like you do in pixel editor and xlights, create custom effects and apply them to your sequence by just tapping, sliding... your get the idea.  All the idle time you spend doing BS on your phone, waiting for a flight, food to arrive, reading in the bathroom, you could be sequencing portions of a song.  IT is being done for music and dmx lighting already.  Last time I checked, that is a protocol we are compatible with.  How hard would it be to make lets say a function to animate those holiday coro trees.  at most 8 buttons.  you listen to the song and tap.  I don't know about you but it is time to take sequencing to the next level.  

5 hours ago, jstomasi said:

I am a developer and have thought about this for years now: Imagine an application that can be used on an ipad iphone or android device that would allow you to sequence individual props / rgb devices etc..  You would be able to tap controls and use sliders kinda like you do in pixel editor and xlights, create custom effects and apply them to your sequence by just tapping, sliding... your get the idea.  All the idle time you spend doing BS on your phone, waiting for a flight, food to arrive, reading in the bathroom, you could be sequencing portions of a song.  IT is being done for music and dmx lighting already.  Last time I checked, that is a protocol we are compatible with.  How hard would it be to make lets say a function to animate those holiday coro trees.  at most 8 buttons.  you listen to the song and tap.  I don't know about you but it is time to take sequencing to the next level.  

Actually, that could work.

You program effects, assign them to buttons and record those button presses, then it applies the effects at the correct time to the correct prop.

But wouldn't it be better on a PC?

9 hours ago, jstomasi said:

When will it be ready? 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

On 10/13/2016 at 3:19 PM, EmmienLightFan said:

Actually, that could work.

You program effects, assign them to buttons and record those button presses, then it applies the effects at the correct time to the correct prop.

But wouldn't it be better on a PC?

Exactly, that is what all these programs do anyway.  Record a set of instructions to execute on a particular channel at a particular point in time.   As long as it is outputted in either LOR or DMX protocol as well formed XML it will work.  But that is the majic  behind the scenes.  The simplicity of an interface that has a workflow much like non-linear video editing, mashed up with photo editing workflow like lightroom is that you would have tabs or workflows to setup networks, setup controllers, create and edit props and fixtures, add to display, create effects, apply to timeline and have the ability to move things around with your finger.

Here is the reality of the situation, LOR is going to get beat at their own game if they do not adapt to the world changing around them.  I just watched a video about AppLights onsale now at HomeDepot.  Every year they get closer to what we do.  I know that we are still way ahead but not as far as you think.  The new AppLights for this year allow you to group sets of lights, they have effects lights, RGB floods and basically pixel strings.  They can all be controlled from an iphone.  Now I am sure the controls and options are pretty basic and OOB but how long will it take them to enhance and adapt the those programs.  Once that happens, who would every want to program with any of the archaic tools we are limited to at present.

@jstomasi

Here is the reality of the situation, LOR is going to get beat at their own game if they do not adapt to the world changing around them.

I respectfully disagree. I do not subscribe to your reality. I personally think that there will always be people who want to get there hands dirty and thrive on the ability and creativity to program their lights to their choosing, at their leisure on a monitor that is suitable for viewing, rather than a 5 inch phone screen.

Someone may make an app for Autocad, doesn't mean I would want to use it on my phone or Ipad.

In my humble opinion, LOR makes a very good product and stands behind it. They have a very good and loyal following and there are a lot of talented people who contribute to the forums and offer their help at the drop of a dime, that's what makes and will continue to make LOR successful. Actually anything less than a high quality app would be counter productive to them.

Right now If I needed to, I could post a question to the programmers of the different LOR programs or the owners of the company or create a Help Desk ticket to resolve an issue or answer a question I might have and get a response back in a reasonable time frame. Is the author of this app going to be available 24/7 to do the same?

I just watched a video about AppLights onsale now at HomeDepot.  Every year they get closer to what we do.  I know that we are still way ahead but not as far as you think.  
The new AppLights for this year allow you to group sets of lights, they have effects lights, RGB floods and basically pixel strings.  

Here are 2 videos chosen at random from youtube, one is Applights and one is LOR. Both are very good at what they do. When and if an app ever got to the point of doing the stuff in the LOR video, then it will be worth it for me to look at that app. Until then there are a lot of things to consider of what to put into the app. For instance, I build props that I find interesting and may not be the norm. If I couldn't build it in the software or program it the way I wanted, then it really would become a useless app for me. How would this app work for people who have 10,000 channels or more?

My view of Appslights is that it is a cookie cutter approach to outdoor lighting. Don't get me wrong, there is a market for it, and some people will do very cool things with it, however with an app like that there is a ceiling that will hinder creativity.

Applights

LOR

They can all be controlled from an iphone

.Right now my C:\Program Files (x86)\Light-O-Rama directory (LOR Programs) is 74mb, my C:\Users\xxxxxxx.DESKTOP-LTQUN6L\Documents\Light-O-Rama directory (Working sequences, backups, props, clipboards, visualizations, etc.) is 7.41 gb. Will this app (or my phone) have the ability to have all these files available to me when I want to "control" my lights? Would I have to get another app to edit videos and music like I do now on my pc.

There is a huge difference between "controlling lights" and programing them to within a 1/10 of a second to music or voice.
I have downloaded my fair share of apps for my phone, dvd player, tv, etc. Most have them have been crap and don't do what they are advertised to do and I consider them to be an embarrassment to the company they are trying to help or promote.

Now I am sure the controls and options are pretty basic and OOB but how long will it take them to enhance and adapt the those programs.  
Once that happens, who would every want to program with any of the archaic tools we are limited to at present.

Me, with the PC I can edit movies, pictures, sounds and music to put on my matrix or any other prop I have. I can build my own props in any arrangement I choose and sequence them the way I want using other tools including Xlights, Jinx, Glediator and others to create even more sequencing.  Would this app be able to do use these other programs also? How would I use a program that is pc based (no app) in conjunction with this app?

I have bluetooth controlled RGB lighting for my outdoor pond and it is very cool to be able to change colors and do some very basic lighting programs, but I am already looking to add them to my light show to be controlled by LOR sequences with the other 3000 lights I have.

With my old eyes and huge monitors I have issues seeing the screen to sequence to within a 1/10 of second. In comparison, I can barley read my phone sometimes, I would not want to sequence with it. If an app doesn't have the horsepower to do what I can already do, why would I or anyone want to use it? How would you market this app to me or the LOR community?

I don't mean to stomp on your idea, if you or someone reading this wants to pursue this then go for it. Don't let my opinions stop you. I think these are valid points that need to be considered.

You offered your "reality of the situation", this is simply mine.

Alan...

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

To add to @default comments, I also can't see using an app for doing the programming, but I could envision using an app to run sequences, create playlists, start/stop shows; similar to applights. But to get all that working with LOR, and all the multiple different controllers people use, is a BIG ask.

• Like 1