Light-O-Rama Forums

Hurricane Matthew on the way to Florida

Orville

9 minutes ago, 1983ss454 said:

We made it through fine, just some branches and leaves down. Some areas on the eastern coast got hit hard thou

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pleased to hear your ok. How far from the coast, are you?

Pleased to hear your ok. How far from the coast, are you?

We're an hour east of Tampa, and probably 2 hours west of Daytona

Orville

How did you all weather Matthew? He is right abreast of us right now, about 40 miles off the coast i believe they said, and then we are 24 miles from the coast and the wind is wicked, my wife just looked out back and was upset to see one of her orange trees didn't make it. I was more concerned with the rain amount but no too bad, we've had 6 inches since 8 am and the yard is handling it pretty well. All that french drain system I put in after the pool seems to have worked.

The wind is starting to change directions so i guess the eye is finally getting north, moving 12 mph right now is good for less flooding, I guess you are one of the many thousands without electrical, hope you guys get it back soon, god bless and lets us all know how you are.

Keith

18 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Good luck.  You can have your hurricanes - I'll stick with our earthquakes...

Jim

I'm thinking the opposite, I grew up in Glendora and Azusa, remember the big Sylmar quake, I was working for my brother who was contracted to repair a big insurance office damaged by the earthquake and had to pay all their customers claims, you ever see 200 construction workers try to get out 4 doors every time they had a after shock, it was not fun.

And we had over a weeks notice it was coming, have you ever had notice of a earthquake coming with a ETA and location? LOL

Best to the left coast from the first coast, we start drying out tomorrow, yeh.

Keith

20 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Good luck.  You can have your hurricanes - I'll stick with our earthquakes...

I second that!  

I second that!  

Anywhere you go there is going to be something. The mid west has their tornados, the northeast where I'm from has their blizzards. I'll take the wind and rain over 2 feet of snow followed by sub 0 temps any day lol

Well we made it thru Matthew, so far, still have the winds from the tail, but 7  inches of rain, 60 mph winds, way too many hours of the Weather Channel is just too much to endure, earthquakes really weren't that bad i guess LOL.

We were very lucky, no damage, no loss of electrical, and a nice day with the grandkids in the house all day (2 of 3 anyway), LOL. Hope the rest of the east coast does as well, and Orville we hope you get your electrical back soon.

1834ss454, welcome to Florida, if Matthew doesn't turn around and ruin our next week you may like it.

Keith

We're fine.   But my online access is limited to getting to the public library for now.  No Halloween and possibly no Christmas show for us this year now.    Took everything down and since we don't have power for other reasons than the storm that blew by, we got no damages to our home, but the electric is another entire story of it's own.  But we're working on it, if we are able to get it back on{doubtful at the moment}, Christmas maybe, but don't think Halloween will be done this year.

27 minutes ago, Orville said:

We're fine.   But my online access is limited to getting to the public library for now.  No Halloween and possibly no Christmas show for us this year now.    Took everything down and since we don't have power for other reasons than the storm that blew by, we got no damages to our home, but the electric is another entire story of it's own.  But we're working on it, if we are able to get it back on{doubtful at the moment}, Christmas maybe, but don't think Halloween will be done this year.

Good to hear that you're safe

Orville

Great to hear.

If I was physically able of driving down and helping you know I'd be there in a heartbeat to help you get your show up.

Hopefully your electricity will get restored and you can get something up for Christmas.

JR

4 hours ago, Orville said:

How can you live without electricity?

Surely they can get it back on in a few days. How much of your area is affected? Don't you have enough extension cords to get to the next state?

On 10/10/2016 at 4:34 PM, EmmienLightFan said:

How can you live without electricity?

Surely they can get it back on in a few days. How much of your area is affected? Don't you have enough extension cords to get to the next state?

Has nothing to do with the storm, it has everything to do with finances, unfortunately.  Won't go into it fully here only in a PM would I discuss the power issue.  Let's just say we're in the dark for now, batteries, candles, char-coal grill and cooler full of ice for the time being.    So no power for running shows at this time. :(    We are working on the issue, but don't know where that's going just yet....

Seriously considering selling off my controllers and display items locally only though, if I opt to do that.  Still considering if I will go that route.

13 hours ago, Orville said:

Has nothing to do with the storm, it has everything to do with finances, unfortunately.  Won't go into it fully here only in a PM would I discuss the power issue.  Let's just say we're in the dark for now, batteries, candles, char-coal grill and cooler full of ice for the time being.    So no power for running shows at this time. :(    We are working on the issue, but don't know where that's going just yet....

Seriously considering selling off my controllers and display items locally only though, if I opt to do that.  Still considering if I will go that route.

I hope everything turns around for you.

Hopefully you can keep your holiday stuff.

Prayers for you and your family.

JR

On 10/16/2016 at 1:17 AM, dibblejr said:

I hope everything turns around for you.

Hopefully you can keep your holiday stuff.

Prayers for you and your family.

JR

Us too, we're still working on it.   But so far, doesn't look like there will be a Christmas show either at this time.   I'm sure hoping that changes and I can do at least a little something for Christmas this year..   

• The topic was locked