Light-O-Rama Forums

Hurricane Matthew on the way to Florida

Orville

Well I just got PART of my Halloween display up and the controllers mounted and staked in the ground, as well as power and cat5 to them.  This for my 2016 Halloween Display, however, not sure how well my display may survive as we are expecting some high, damaging winds from Hurricane Matthew, which is a Category 4 storm which will be sending damaging winds all the way into my area in Orlando.  I'm only 60 miles, maybe slightly less from the Atlantic Ocean Coast Line.    

No time to take things down{it took me 2-1/2 weeks to get up what I've done so far, anyway, the winds should start picking up here from between 3pm-6pm today, Thursday 10/6/2016 and last through Friday 10/7/2016 by or around 5-6pm before it's all done.   But the scariest thing is, the hurricane is going to loop, which means it could take a second attempt and cross the entire state over to the West Coast into the Gulf of Mexico.   We're just not sure where or what the loop it's going to take is going to do as yet.

Hope my Halloween display, as well as our home suffers no major damage, and we're still not sure if the hurricane will move any further West, which could put the eye directly over Orlando if it moves any further West.

So wish us, and our fellow Floridians and my Halloween display luck, I think we're all going to need it!

If I don't check in here in a few days, it could be because we don't have power, as massive power outages are expected over the entire state of Florida.

Will check back in after it's all over and as soon as possible.

Edited by Orville

I'd say anchor yourself down but last time I was in Florida it seemed like there was nothing but sand no matter where you Doug. Good luck

Thanks folks.

Fortunately I did get about an hour break in the rain and dismounted my post mounted controllers{pulled post up with controllers still attached} and brought them inside.  

Thankfully I didn't have the lights attached to any of the dangles as yet, that was supposed to happen today or Friday, but that's a definite no-go at the moment.   Since the lights were not connected yet that made it easier to unplug the power cords, wrap the cat5 ends with cellophane zip bags and screw then down with a "c" cable clamp to the metal trim at just above ground level on the house.    So at least I got 2 of the controllers back in before this hit.  The 3rd controller is bolted to my 66' handicap ramp, and it's under the ramp, so I think that one will be fine.{I hope!}

But living in a manufactured home{glorified mobile home}, wife and I are going to ride it out since I don't drive and we don't have a vehicle to get around in.  All our neighbors are all staying put as well.   So we're really hoping for the best.

Edited by Orville

I was just starting to put all my pixels upa6e5b750941cd61fb199ce8c3f96444a.jpg. I said screw it and went up and took them down and put them in the garage to ride out the storm. I'm a little further west in winter haven. Hope you guys making it through ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My son is a lineman for a power company in central Pa.  He has been dispatched to Florida already and left from central Pa at 4pm to help restore power.

Hope you fellows the best of luck, I could not imagine 100mph, 120mph, 140mph, winds.  70 mph gusts took down my "mega tree" last November just as I had all the lights working again.  It damaged the house pretty bad, but we were able to stay in the house while it was repaired in the spring and early summer and get some new enhancements from out of pocket cash.

DSC_0342.jpg

Orville

Hunker down and good luck, we are right behind you when Matthew comes Jacksonville way after Orlando, I have been watching it between getting house ready, hopefully that change in the eye wall is good news, and if it turns around like it looks like it will i am hoping for a lot farther south, sorry Miami.

Keith 

North of the border. We are all thinking, hoping and praying for you. You gotter get them lights up and running, no matter what.

Good luck and stay safe tonight. It looks like your starting to feel the effects. I know you're probably in for a long night, we will all be thinking of you:(

Stay safe. You're in our thoughts. Give those pixels my regards too! [emoji14]

My new neighbors, we just moved in the middle of August, already think I'm out there. Can't imagine what they were thinking seeing me on the roof taking my lights down In the rain this morning lol

Orville

dang sorry I didn't see this thread earlier but after my surgery it's been difficult for me.

Glad I was able to get you a text off earlier yesterday morning (by the time you see this)

Watching the news hopefully the brunt stayed a lil more offshore then originally expected.

Spending many hurricanes on Coastal Carolina I do realize that it doesn't take a direct hit to devistate communities.

Hope all is well and you and your family is safe. No need to worry about us in central AL, not this time.

Hi Orville and others in storms way, hope you get through it OK.

Must be a bad one as we're hearing a lot about it here in Aus

Best of luck to you all and hopefully not too much damage is inflicted. I've heard some pretty nasty things were coming in and it is so drastic to hear that potentially WEEKS or MONTHS of an uninhabitable state could result.

We made it through fine, just some branches and leaves down. Some areas on the eastern coast got hit hard thou

• Like 1