Light-O-Rama Forums

Shooting arch question

Brucey

In PE, I can't figure out how to setup a shooting arch effect where 3-4 lit pixels start from the left (or right) in one particular color and go across the arch leaving nothing but black behind it then move onto the next one.  I've tried using bars and spirals but just as the 'end' gets to one side, the other side starts up and I've been trying to figure it out for hours.   

I know how to do it in SE but it's so much easier and quicker to do it in PE. 

Any suggestions?  Thanks

I've also struggled with this effect, too.  I wish LOR would implement a morph command, similar to that of xLights. I found several solutions:

1. Using the curtain effect.  Take a look at the settings.  It's not perfect, but it will likely work, and you can set it to duration so that it only "jumps" once.  arches.png

2. The second idea is with an image.  I've uploaded several examples, but basically I created a white fade in Photoshop (black or transparent background).  Using the picture command, I moved the image to the left / right.  Set the speed you want, and then turn the command on for the duration that works without repeating.
  3.  arch%20fade2.JPG

I've also uploaded the files if you want to try them. 

fade.jpg

arch fade.jpg

fade_small.png

Just like using RGB in SE remember that Black is a color, If you are trying to achieve a traditional leaping arch look,use the color along with black to get the look you want. If you want I can make a quick video and post it on how to get the effects you want.

SPaschall

Just like using RGB in SE remember that Black is a color, If you are trying to achieve a traditional leaping arch look,use the color along with black to get the look you want. If you want I can make a quick video and post it on how to get the effects you want.

SPaschall

I hate to ask but would you mind since it sounds like I may not be the only one having a problem and could be a great reference for others as well?

I tried to mix black and red but couldn't get just right because as the red went off one side it came up the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is the issue right now. I have spoken with Matt about this issue also and on bars he may add a once at speed or a once for duration to the effect so it work for different effects that the programmer wants to create.

SPaschall

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, SPaschall said:

once for duration

Yeah, that's exactly what's needed to make it easy to deploy, but I have a bad feeling it won't get in before this holiday season :(

I can show you a way to do it, that is a workaround until it is available.

SPaschall

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

Thanks for your wonderful tutorial!  It was extremely helpful to see the workaround to make the jump work in PE.  I actually took your suggestion and filled in the missing pieces on one of my sequences using your workaround already.  Sorry for the video quality but as you'll see, I'm a "fast" learner :)

Looks Great! Glad I could help! Can I make on suggestion, at the :22 mark of the video the arches look like they may have black as a color the way they are separated.

SPaschall

I saw that as well when I was building the sequence but not sure if that's something within PE or Visualizer because I double checked and don't have black selected as a color so not sure where it's coming from.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still having issue with this effect.  Thanks to your video, I can make it leap left to right all day with most any timing just by adjusting the speed as suggested.  However, when I take the same timing and switch the direction to right to left, I get two segments every time with the first one starting at about 10 degrees on left side.  Anyone getting these results?

I want to thank everyone for the help getting arches to leap.  I did find an issue with using the spiral effect when changing directions.  SPaschall was able to replicate and was going to reach out to Matt.  So while they work through it, I decided to give Luke's method a try using the picture effect.  It actually works quite well.  I have posted several images below for you all to try if you wish to cover the primary colors plus white.  I tried to label them pretty straight forward.

Blue fade to blk R2L = a blue segment fading to black moving Right to Left.

Simply the chose the picture effect.  Chose the file representing the color and direction you want.  Set the movement to go in the same direction and adjust the speed to fit the timing.  Deselect repeat.  Appears to work quite well in both directions.

Hope this is helpful to other PE newbies like me.

Blue fade to black R2L.jpg

Blue Fade to blk L2R.jpg

Green Fade to blk L2R.jpg

Green fade to Blk R2L.jpg

Red Fade to blk L2R.jpg

Red fade to blk R2L.jpg

white fade to blk L2R.jpg

white fade to blk R2L.jpg

• Like 1