Light-O-Rama Forums

changing from rbg to rgb

sysco

I only tested in 4 when i made all 10 frames and should have run all 1, 2 and 3 also. All the arrows are running the same direction on all frames. The door was the only on on the test that had mismatched color rather the the complete frame miss colored. Had top, bottom and 1 side all the same color and 1 long side opposite. May have to manually change it sounds like. 

I appologize for taking over this thread. 

Are you using 2811 strips. And when you spliced strips together where they the same strip you cut or where they two different strips . Look at the strips see if wiring layout is different on the problem strips 

Edited by Dennis Laff

Update...got box 1 mostly done. Just have to swap 1 side of the door in the SE.  Box 2 upstairs i will have to swap about 2 and a half windows the SE and that should fix all for now. One issue though, have a strip running halfway along the downstairs that light perfect when tested with red, then try green on only 12 of the 168 light up, the rest of it is dead. Does the same on blue, 12 light and the rest dead. Is the a strip issue?

14 hours ago, jeff bush said:

Yes they are 2811 strips. Yes i used different strips per frame most of time as 1 strip would not complete 1 frame. 

Thanks

Do you know if all the strips were from the same batch? If you used more then one strip per window then you may have soldered a BRG to an RGB.

Tried to manually swap Blue and green in the SE and it says mouse up error (channels cannot be moved within an RGB channel). Am i missing something?

So i can manually swap the channels in the RGB channel setting screen. From red, universe 20 channel 46, green universe 20 channel 47 and green universe 20 channel 48 to-- red universe 20 channel 46, green universe 20 to channel 48 then blue universe 20 to channel 47. Does this change the actual color order, IE the eqivalant of swapping the colors??

The strip i talked about ealier that lights fine all red and then only 15 pixels work on B and G was not tested before installing. I only tested the frames on 4 test mode when i mounted the strips to the frames which was red with a chase and all were fine. Looking back i should have ran thru all 4 test modes. I have 4 frames that have one side or bottom section that if green instead of blue like the rest of the frame or vise versa, blue instead of green. I have changed all i can in the 682's as far as color order and am down to one section or other off color. 

Sounds like the strips are the cause....if you are unable to seperate in sans now then changing in se is only option.

When I get a new strip I test to make sure I get the correct order...rgb, brg grb, etc.....then try to match them up to common channels on the sans.  If not possible then I change the order in SE.  When testing it is only necessary to test red, green and blue.  That is what makes up all the colors so a chase isn't needed.  But I always end my test with code 15.  It is a red green blue chase with 5 pixels off between.  It is just pretty....not really needed.

Pixels are three wires....someone up the list made a comment that blue and green were swapped.  This is possible with dumb rgb because there are 4 wires...one common and then one for each color.  With pixels you have voltage, ground and data wires.  Some older pixels added a clock.  But it is not possible to get blue and green in the wrong order since there is only a data line.

If you get your data and power lines mixed up or if water gets on the strip or if you bend a strip too hard you can cause dead pixels.  If you have a section that is not working check for connectivity.  Once a pixel dies, those behind it will not work.  So if you have one dead pixel, cut it out and replace.  I typically replace the whole strip and use the busted for spares or smaller elements.  Strips are $15 each from Ray.  I order plenty to keep on hand.

I've largely been away from the forum for a day or so and I see this thread has been active!  I'm with Sax on this one.  It sounds like the two batches of strips have different color order.  That is an unfortunate reality -  one of the reasons that it is recommended to purchase all the strips or strings for a prop (plus spares) at the same time.  To make it worse, it sounds like you have strings that have pieces of strip from the two different batches.  You are a bit screwed by that.  Other than re-sequencing the channels (can be a royal pain in the backsides), your best bet is to re-solder strips so that each string is made from strips with the same color order.  One of the things that may help make your life a little easier is to update the E682 controllers to the current beta firmware.  That will at least allow you to set the color order for each output from the controller.  The beta firmware is not yet posted on the SanDevices web page, but you can read all about it and download the firmware from this thread on the DIY forum:

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?42646-SanDevices-version-5-firmware-information-thread

Yep, regret that is what i am down to. I have gotten real close by changing the 682's color sequence but still have a few windows with issues. I will mess around with them a little more then if no success, take the matching colors from each to complete a prop and then get new strips to complete the others. I appreciate all those who posting to give me their knowledge the things to try. If i cant get it done now, i still have time for christmas or......just run all my sequences in white or red.....all props test perfect with those 2 colors ?  Price you pay i suppose. 

Thanks again gentlemen. 

I don't know where you bought your strips from ,but I bought  20    2811 strips from Holiday Coro in the last few months at separate times and all strips always match. .

16 minutes ago, jeff bush said:

All came from Holiday coro at 2 separate order times.  

That is odd, usually all of HC strips are BRG. I have had six different orders for strips from HC over the years and they have always been BRG.

That is why i keep thinking i did something wrong but i can not see where i did. Most all the strips mounted on the frames were from 1 order and BRG is what always input into all my 682's. Love HC 

OK...dont give up yet.  Still an easy Software fix.

It is too bad that they changed the moving RGB thing or maybe I had to do this new way and forgot.  But it is still possible....looks to take a little time so export/import will be crucial for you to correct this quickly.

OK, what you do is select your RGB channel that is bad.  Right Click and select Degroup.  At this point you can move the channels around...but dont.  Instead, just chose to make the channel an RGB group...then it asks what channels you want to be red, green and blue.  Make your changes there.  And that should solve it.

I did notice a line that said "how many channels below to do this to" where you can check it and select the number of channels.  You can try that after degrouping the equivalent number of RGB channels first...but personally I would do it one at a time.  I think I tried and it freaked out or something.  By Freak out I mean it didnt do the right order at all...But just save often and you can try anything....it wont hurt anything.

My responses will be delayed.  I am trying to get my show up and running.  But hopefully this helps you keep moving....

Sax