Light-O-Rama Forums

Help with rgb (dumb)

Scud2

So I am slowly upgrading all my led christmas lights to the dumb rgb lights. I bought the kit in the spring sale from LOR and have 8 strands. My only question was what do I use for the extenstion. I see there are plenty of 4 prong wires. But what gauge? I will be going a max of like 25-30 feet. I was thinking 18 gauge. And on two of the extensions I wanted to have 2 strands connected. Is that possible? Or is that too much for one channel to have 2 stands? Thanks for the help.

2001 Mustang GT

Vortech V3 Supercharged

402 HP 389 Torque

18 gauge should be fine.  I use 16 myself.  I also use Burial Speaker wire with 4 wires.  Running 2 strips off one wire should be fine, but it is always better to check the power consumption (Amps) of the lights and the rating of the channel on the controller you are using. 

I don't know if you're using 12v or 5v, but I run 12v at about 30-40 feet from the controller.  If you start getting much longer you will start to see some voltage drop, which will change the color at the end of the strip light, in which case you will need to start looking at power injection.

Dumb lights are very forgiving.  I tested 18 gauge wire pre made extensions purchased from Ray out 150' no issues.  12v.  I thought my longest run was 125' so I wanted to make sure I wouldn't have issues.  Turns out it was only 100'.

Smart lights or pixels 25' is pushing it.  And I don't get dimly lit pixels at that distance.  I get flashing or non working strips or pixel strings...the control signal is lost. Again 12v.  5v will be much much shorter distance.  

I do get fading or pixels that don't light when I make a strip or string too long.  That requires power injection.  But I opt for a new string or strip over power injection.   My largest strip is 55 pixels no issues.  12v.