Light-O-Rama Forums

Mini Tree question

JimCanfield

I have read when putting the lights on the mini trees to make layers of lights. The first layer dense then less and less using 300 lights. I am going to use 600 lights (6 100 light strands). I will use 3 of green and 3 of red then take 1 string of red and 1 of green then zip tie them together to make 1 200 light string. I will have 3 of those 200 light strings on each tree and each color on each tree will have its own channel so each tree has 2 channels.

My question is this, why do you put them in layers? Is it to make it look "fuller"? Would you be able to just wrap it around and around with each revoluton place the strand just above the other strand? Just curious as to the best way to make it look the best.

Not exactly sure of reason to layer. However one thing that comes to mind is that if you put one thin layer on the frame and that layer is well attached then the next layers would be held in place by the first so perhaps there is less need for ties.

I think that tying the the two colors together first is a good idea.

Another reason for layering is if you have a part of a string go out, you wont have half a tree go dark. The lights will just seem less dense.

We found small trees at Michaels this year on clearance for $1.00 each. We cleared out all they had. They stand about 2 feet tall and have a burlap sack on the bottom. We have tested with them using 150 count mini's. They look ok, but i want to have double that on them so they stand out more.

• 2 months later...

I like the mini-tree idea, but I want to be able to change the colors of the trees from red to green to white and was thinking that two 100ct strands of each color per tree would be needed. That would make 600 lights/tree. Has anyone tried this? Will the deeper layers be obscured by the wires? Will 200 lights/color be enough to make it bright? I thought that I might have to do 300 lights/color but that would make 9 strings of lights on the trees and I'm sure that many of the lamps will be hidden and thus will render 300 lights about as bright as 200 lights. Also, The tomato cages that I bought for my trees are about 32" tall. I figure they will appear about 30" when lighted. Is this about the right height for mini-trees or are they usually shorter. I figured if they are a bit taller they may support the greater number of lamps that I am planning for.

200 per color should be fine. That's what I use on mine although I only have two colors.