Light-O-Rama Forums

x86 issue with installing S4

Santas Helper

Greetings everyone. I have submitted a ticket to LOR but wanted to ask the great folks here.

I am trying to upgrade to S4 on my old laptop using Windows XP.
I've been using LOR on this laptop since 2006 and never ran into this error.
It says "The files for installation requirement Windows Imaging Component (x86) could not be found. The installation will now stop."
I don't have a file directory "Program File (x86) on the show computer.
The computer is not connected to the internet so I copied the S4 on a disc and ran it to install.
I also used a thumb drive and copied it to the desktop then tried to run it. I get the same error each time.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Tom

Would this change the fact that it is requesting Program Files x86 and I don't have that folder?

I've upgraded in the past (since version 1 in 2006 to S2, then S3) and never had this issue/error.

If I remember correctly, the X86 folder began with the the introduction of 64 bit Windows 7 or maybe Vista. (Never went there)

32 bit versions don't have it.

64 bit versions of W7 and later have a Program Files folder for newer 64 bit apps and non 64 bit apps go in the Program Files X86 folder.

In 64 bit XP everything still goes in the Program Files and there is no X86 folder as you have discovered.

I have and old 64 bit XP laptop somewhere, let me see if it will boot and I'll try the install.

Is S4 supposed to be compatible with XP?

10 year old laptop aside ....

Requirements for S4 are here: http://www1.lightorama.com/sequencing-software-download/ Yes, XP is supported, but you also need "Graphics: System must be able to support at least OpenGL 1.5"

Based on a quick Google search, the error message happens in the OpenGL world, so something there could be amiss.

I did finally get S4 to install to an old netbook running 32 bit XP. Does not have an X 86 folder. Took two attempts. First time after just upgrading had all kinds of error messages. Had to uninstall 3.11.2 and then install the new version. Seems to be working............. verrrry slooowwwly.

You might try updating your video drivers if you can even find them. Might fix an OpenGL issue, then again maybe not.

My show computer for the past four years has been an HP desktop running Windows XP.  It was first installed with some early version of S3, and has had every production version of S3 and S4 and a bunch of the Beta versions in between.  Other than having to run the installation with an account with administrator privilege, I've never had a problem.  I will point out that somewhere along the line, the installation started requiring administrator privilege. Without it, all kinds of problems.  Since my normal light show account does not have administrator privilege, this created a few issues until I figured that out.

So, make sure you have administrator privilege.

Thanks for your input everyone.

I'm not getting any OpenGL notification/error.

Jim, I always log in as Admin but went ahead and logged off and logged back in as Admin and still get this (x86) error. It's good you mentioned that because LOR Help Desk suggested the same thing. I responded back to them with my results as well.

Running LOR since 2006 on this laptop, I have never had an issue with upgrading "Offline".

Tom