• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr. P

• Scooch

• diesel3406

• scubanimal

Scooch,. You'll need it later anyway, I would get a cheap switch/router as long as it runs DHCP.  

If you can't ping the board, then it's a basic issue.   If Mr P can't help let me know, we can chat via phone. 

4 hours ago, scubanimal said:

Scooch,. You'll need it later anyway, I would get a cheap switch/router as long as it runs DHCP.  

If you can't ping the board, then it's a basic issue.   If Mr P can't help let me know, we can chat via phone. 

I chatted with Scooch on the phone and walked him thru fixing his ip address in the LAN properties he is up and working now. It is much easier over the phone rather than trying to type all this stuff.

Thank you both for offering your services.  Mr. P, thank you for your time last night.  I will keep you posted on my progress with getting the matrix up and running.

Follow up, and lessons learned. 

I'm up and running now with my Pixcon16, including playing an 'instant sequence' from superstar.   Looking back at the issue and the variety of things I learned I thought I should pass these on for the next person.

1).  Pixels are not labeled in a consistent manner.  While it seemed the most common way to tell which side of the pixel to wire to the board, was to the side where the wires are labeled, that turned out to be wrong on all three brands of pixels I had.   Another common guidance was chose the side opposite the big chip, that also turned out to not be consistent.  All of the brands I purchases (amazon, ebay sources) all ended up working fine, but were not wired per common instructions (specifically the data line flow).    I had no issues getting power and ground wired right.   I bought a set of pixels from HolidayCoro, they were labeled and worked perfect out of the box. 

2) Firewall settings:   if you cannot connect to the board but have your DHCP or coded IP addresses write, then check your Microsoft firewall.  Turns out one the computers specifically was blocking the network configuration tool.  Why or how I did that I don't know. But setting both private and public network solved that issue.

3) When first setting up be sure all competing networks are off (i.e. wireless).  Turn off the wireless (if you can) on your router.  Use a router verses direct connect, you're going to need a router later anyway. 

4) Do not swap network cables around, get one per need.   You will need an additional network cable between the 485 USB to RJ45 convertor and the J3/J4 connector on the board to test via hardware as well as when you test with a simple show.

5) Be sure to test with a voltmeter the output of your power supply be sure whatever supply you get you can adjust, the board wants it to be very close to the target (i.e. 5v or 12v); I'm now within .1

6) Have a sequence that you are sure all the pixel ports and the test pixels attached are utilized.   If you're only putting on one test pixel, be sure its used.

7) Superstar makes part of the process easier.  Creating a simple instant sequence was super fast and allowed me to focus on the pixcon16 issues, vice having to learn to sequence pixels at this time.

That's it off the top of my head. Hope this helps somebody some day... :) 

• 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, diesel3406 said:

I am having the same issue but I am pretty sure my ip settings are correct. And yes I am running the latest version of lor pro 4.3

Can't be pretty sure with the ip setting setting or you will never find it, you have to be absolutely sure or you will just be pulling your hair out.

well I think I have fixed my blinking status light but I have run into another issue and not sure what to think about it.   I found where DevMike had posted about making sure that everything worked step by step. that one step I cant get past is step eight. from the pixcon controller with two led strips hooked up it will not test the light strips from the controller manual test button.

Just to make sure the strips were wired correctly I check the way the strips were wired and they match the way the plugs on the controller are wired. I also went through and tried every type of strip style availbe in the controller settings. I am sure they are the ws2811/12 or the ws2801

If you are still testing lights by the step by step that DevMike posted then you shouldn't be in ELOR yet. Elor gats set in step 16 but you are still at step 8. I would suggest that you go back through all the steps again and remember that you start connected to the ethernet port first.

I found his step by step after I had been working with this thing. I have sense started over and now stuck on step eight. Hence why I am asking for help. At this point I should be able to make the controller test the strip with out any prompting for the computer correct? by pressing the factory ip button while the controller is powered up it should run through a test sequence for the attached lights. it will not complete this step. Also in a number of things I have read before you have the type of lights set it should turn some of them on or turn them on the off or something. this controller hasn't done any of that.  

4 minutes ago, diesel3406 said:

I found his step by step after I had been working with this thing. I have sense started over and now stuck on step eight. Hence why I am asking for help. At this point I should be able to make the controller test the strip with out any prompting for the computer correct? by pressing the factory ip button while the controller is powered up it should run through a test sequence for the attached lights. it will not complete this step. Also in a number of things I have read before you have the type of lights set it should turn some of them on or turn them on the off or something. this controller hasn't done any of that.  

Yes, you should hold the IP button for 3 sec and it should enter test mode. If it does not then one of the steps before that is messed up.

Again. I have followed his step by step. everything there checks out until I try to make it do the manual test.  The controller enters the test mode but nothing on the lights strips

Edited by diesel3406
moer infor added

7 minutes ago, diesel3406 said:

Again. I have followed his step by step. everything there checks out until I try to make it do the manual test.  The controller enters the test mode but nothing on the lights strips

Do you have the correct type of strips setup in the card? Are they wired in correctly as strips are directional.

The strips were ordered preassembled. I bought them two years ago with two san devices. I id check to make sure that the power ground, and data were matched to the controller output . I have not put any of these devices together myself as I really don't have the time.   So to answer your question yes they are wired correctly and data, power, and ground are going in the right direction. Yes I have verified this with a volt meter and visually.

I have double and triple checked the strip confit. I have tried every config available in the config. they are a ws2811/12 strip.