Light-O-Rama Forums

Adding a short Holiday Story to the show?

Arteom

Hello everyone, I hope everyone is doing great!

It's just about time when I begin seriously thinking about my display and a random thought came into mind. Has anyone ever synced their lights to a short Christmas story? I'm trying to find a nice short Christmas story that has a nice narrator and perhaps some nice background music. Does anyone know of someone who may have done this sort of thing or perhaps any suggestions if this sounds like a reasonable idea? 

3 minutes ago, Mega Arch said:

They will drive away. 

So if you do it, do it for yourself. 

Just my opinion. 

Unless maybe Linus & Lucy

It sure depends on the story and how the lights go with the story.

Needs to be very creative to work IMO or as Mega says, they will drive off.

• Like 1

Best use of something like that is a very short intro that starts your display.  by short I mean not more than 30, maybe 45 seconds in length.  Then run the regular musical show.  

Other than that, like the others have stated, it's not advisable because folks will drive off.   The show needs to be upbeat and interesting to keep folks attention, don't have that, in short order they'll just drive off and leave.

21 hours ago, Orville said:

Best use of something like that is a very short intro that starts your display.  by short I mean not more than 30, maybe 45 seconds in length.  Then run the regular musical show.  

Other than that, like the others have stated, it's not advisable because folks will drive off.   The show needs to be upbeat and interesting to keep folks attention, don't have that, in short order they'll just drive off and leave.

I never really thought about it that way. I remember seeing a house with a similar setup as my description, I believe the story was a night before Christmas, and I was captivated by it. 

I guess you're right though, it is very slow and may not be able to hold anyone's attention. 

E.......Gads,  I just spent close to a month doing Night Before Christmas sequencing my lights to match a  video .

Hope people around here don't drive off when it comes on????????????????

10 minutes ago, gmac said:

E.......Gads,  I just spent close to a month doing Night Before Christmas sequencing my lights to match a  video .

Hope people around here don't drive off when it comes on????????????????

Gmac, the possibility of folks driving off I would think hinges on each display and what they do with it.

I would like to hear back from you on how it goes at the end of the year.

• Like 1

I didn't add it to a show, but I did sequence to a short story, more like a poem{it was not the night before Christmas} and tried to find some background music to fit it.   I just never liked the results.  I ran it several times, tried making changes to make it upbeat, but you can only do so much with the spoken word and I just couldn't find the right music for the background to set the lights too.

My results were terrible trying to mix the two, tried just doing the spoken poem, but it was slow and just dragged far too much.

End result, canceled it from my show, it just didn't look right, nor did it fit in very well with the other musical aspects of the show, and then it was far too long and just seemed to drone on and on forever.   The lights responded quick enough, but the whole thing was so slow that it just didn't work well.

Hopefully anyone that tries to do this might succeed better than I or others have that have attempted to use such things in their display, but from my own experiments with attempting it, I decided it is just something not suited for my display.   Your light intensity may be completely different.

• The topic was locked