Light-O-Rama Forums
sasmuse

LOR Video Projection Setup

Hello,

I'm attempting to do some video projection controlled by LOR.  In reading through some of the other forum posts, I still have a few questions about what is controlling what. Here's what I think I know along with some questions. Please chime in if I have this all wrong.

1. Using a video editor, I create the video file I want to use. 

2.  The video file contains the audio that will be used for the entire sequence.

3. In the LOR sequence file, I bring in the video file I created in step 1.

4. I set the video preferences tab to use "full screen".

5. Create the remaining sequence with the other channels.

6. When the sequence plays, the video will output along with the other light commands.

Questions:

1. How does LOR know where to send the video?

2. Do I need to specify the port that the projector is plugged into?  If so how do I do that?

3. Do I need to create a separate channel to hold the video file like with a superstar sequence?

4. What don't I know?  How far off am I?

Thanks for any help. Also if there is link that answers the above, feel free to paste it in here, and I'll go find it and take it from there.

Sally

1. Using a video editor, I create the video file I want to use.

Yes

2.  The video file contains the audio that will be used for the entire sequence.

Yes

3. In the LOR sequence file, I bring in the video file I created in step 1.

Yes, under "Media File"

4. I set the video preferences tab to use "full screen".

I didn't, I set mine to "Display Videos" This worked for me, so that in playback I could still see the Sequence Editor without having to move the video everytme I needed to change something. It will play in a small box on the screen when you press play.

5. Create the remaining sequence with the other channels.

Yes

6. When the sequence plays, the video will output along with the other light commands.

Yes, when your projector is connected to your show pc with a video cable. There are other options depending on how far way your projector will be from your show pc. If it is more the 10 feet or so, video cables can get expensive and there are cheaper ways to do this. If this something you need, just ask.

Questions:

1. How does LOR know where to send the video?

You will need a show pc, that is capable of running 2 monitors or at least switching to another monitor and a video output port on your show pc, hook that cable to the projector. Depending on your version of windows either Duplicate or Extend your monitor output. Duplicate will show on the show pc and the projector, extend ( I believe) will only show on the projector.

2. Do I need to specify the port that the projector is plugged into?  If so how do I do that?

Depends on what version of windows you are using. In win 10 goto settings and search "monitor" then click the "Project to a second screen" option, follow the instructions (I did mine on XP last year and don't remember exactly)

As far as LOR Sequence Editor is concerned, no channels have to be added. It is a Windows media function.

3. Do I need to create a separate channel to hold the video file like with a superstar sequence?

No, the video IS the audio for that song, it just happens to include video with it. If for some reason, you don't hook up your projector for a show, the sequence will still play on all other lights. Once you hit play (or the it's set to play in the show editor) it just plays audio the same, it just directs the video portion to your projector. Again it's a Windows media function.

4. What don't I know?  How far off am I?

lol loaded question :) it actually sounds like you have done some research and have a pretty good handle on it. Now it's time to hook it all up and see what happens. For testing you don't need all your light hooked up, just plug in the projector and watch your video. Hint, if you need to adjust the sequence ie the exact moment you want a prop to light, you will still do that the same way.
What I did was edited the video to the audio. For instance if your first image on the video is Santa walking by but the music hasn't started yet add some time to the video to make it correspond/snyc to the audio. Wow I hope that makes sense.

Thanks for any help. Also if there is link that answers the above, feel free to paste it in here, and I'll go find it and take it from there.

There are a number of links on these forums, EmmientLight and others have posted  very helpful videos somewhere, maybe he will come along point you to them. I'll look for it also. Let us know how it goes.

Alan...

• Like 1

I thought there was an option to follow a topic but I guess not. Now I am subscribed.

JR