Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR Video Projection Setup

sasmuse

Hello,

I'm attempting to do some video projection controlled by LOR.  In reading through some of the other forum posts, I still have a few questions about what is controlling what. Here's what I think I know along with some questions. Please chime in if I have this all wrong.

1. Using a video editor, I create the video file I want to use. 

2.  The video file contains the audio that will be used for the entire sequence.

3. In the LOR sequence file, I bring in the video file I created in step 1.

4. I set the video preferences tab to use "full screen".

5. Create the remaining sequence with the other channels.

6. When the sequence plays, the video will output along with the other light commands.

Questions:

1. How does LOR know where to send the video?

2. Do I need to specify the port that the projector is plugged into?  If so how do I do that?

3. Do I need to create a separate channel to hold the video file like with a superstar sequence?

4. What don't I know?  How far off am I?

Thanks for any help. Also if there is link that answers the above, feel free to paste it in here, and I'll go find it and take it from there.

Sally

1. Using a video editor, I create the video file I want to use.

Yes

2.  The video file contains the audio that will be used for the entire sequence.

Yes

3. In the LOR sequence file, I bring in the video file I created in step 1.

Yes, under "Media File"

4. I set the video preferences tab to use "full screen".

I didn't, I set mine to "Display Videos" This worked for me, so that in playback I could still see the Sequence Editor without having to move the video everytme I needed to change something. It will play in a small box on the screen when you press play.

5. Create the remaining sequence with the other channels.

Yes

6. When the sequence plays, the video will output along with the other light commands.

Yes, when your projector is connected to your show pc with a video cable. There are other options depending on how far way your projector will be from your show pc. If it is more the 10 feet or so, video cables can get expensive and there are cheaper ways to do this. If this something you need, just ask.

Questions:

1. How does LOR know where to send the video?

You will need a show pc, that is capable of running 2 monitors or at least switching to another monitor and a video output port on your show pc, hook that cable to the projector. Depending on your version of windows either Duplicate or Extend your monitor output. Duplicate will show on the show pc and the projector, extend ( I believe) will only show on the projector.

2. Do I need to specify the port that the projector is plugged into?  If so how do I do that?

Depends on what version of windows you are using. In win 10 goto settings and search "monitor" then click the "Project to a second screen" option, follow the instructions (I did mine on XP last year and don't remember exactly)

As far as LOR Sequence Editor is concerned, no channels have to be added. It is a Windows media function.

3. Do I need to create a separate channel to hold the video file like with a superstar sequence?

No, the video IS the audio for that song, it just happens to include video with it. If for some reason, you don't hook up your projector for a show, the sequence will still play on all other lights. Once you hit play (or the it's set to play in the show editor) it just plays audio the same, it just directs the video portion to your projector. Again it's a Windows media function.

4. What don't I know?  How far off am I?

lol loaded question :) it actually sounds like you have done some research and have a pretty good handle on it. Now it's time to hook it all up and see what happens. For testing you don't need all your light hooked up, just plug in the projector and watch your video. Hint, if you need to adjust the sequence ie the exact moment you want a prop to light, you will still do that the same way.
What I did was edited the video to the audio. For instance if your first image on the video is Santa walking by but the music hasn't started yet add some time to the video to make it correspond/snyc to the audio. Wow I hope that makes sense.

Thanks for any help. Also if there is link that answers the above, feel free to paste it in here, and I'll go find it and take it from there.

There are a number of links on these forums, EmmientLight and others have posted  very helpful videos somewhere, maybe he will come along point you to them. I'll look for it also. Let us know how it goes.

Alan...

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I know it sounds stupid but so I understand correctly default.  Video added in sequence editor, sequenced lights to video. Add LOR file along with video to show editor and when my show starts to play the video will play on my show laptop, I just need to plug in my projector via HDMI, duplicate my laptop screen and wala, I have video in my yard? no other setting or things to do with LOR. ? 

You are replacing the normal Audio only mp3 with an Audio Video  file. Associate the AV file with the sequence just like the mp3 file. LOR will play the video in a full screen window which you will direct to the projector. As a test I just replaced the mp3 in one of my sequences with a mp4 video and it plays fine.I can  drag it to any of my three monitors.

The projector essentially is a second  monitor and is managed by Windows .

You will need more than a Basic Plus License (from your profile)  to play video full screen

http://www1.lightorama.com/sequencing-suite-software/

Edited by PhilMassey

1 hour ago, PhilMassey said:

You will need more than a Basic Plus License (from your profile)  to play video full screen

Sorry, I've been out of the game for 2 years now, And this will be my first year back, I doubled up on my controllers and running video for my comeback. I've never run video before but upgraded my license to advance with the intent of adding more.

mp4 video and it plays fine.I can  drag it to any of my three monitors

Figured this out by accident, just started with mp4 file and it plays fine so now all my sequences with video are mp4,  and I go from 2 monitors, spent monies for a 3rd on a controller, lol

LOR will play the video in a full screen window which you will direct to the projector

OK now this is where my ( stupid ) question is. Being that I have only run lights in a BPlus license level I have never tried to run the video. Now I know, in sequence editor I get the screen and can full size it, ( I keep it small so I can watch while I sequence ),

but, My question, When I set up my show in show editor and scheduler and my show starts, the video will automatically play along with the sequences, correct? and if so, will I have to full screen it at the beginning of every show?

BTW Thank you for your help

Dennis

The video will play when the sequence plays, either in the Sequence Editor, or the show player. Not sure if you have to maximize the window manually or if it remembers its last state. If no one posts with a definitive answer. I would run a test show and see.

Ok ran a test show and if I play the sequence in SE everything works fine have to fill screen then when I put the show together in builder and scheduler and my show turns on the first sequence will play. I have to fullscreen it but it plays now when going to second song it will lag then freeze. Am I doing something wrong? I've tried starting over and same results. Now if I don't enlarge the screen then the show will play fine. I'm puzzled.

Perhaps there is a problem or something different about the second video clip. Since you know the first plays OK, swap them around and see what happens, or just run the first one as a one song show and see what happens at the end when it loops. What is your software version. 3.11 is awfully old and a lot of things have improved.

Ok version is 4.0.04 advance and that's the thing, my show is playing now and as long as I don't fullscreen it, it plays fine, no hiccups but when I full screen the lor player after song played it will lag then freeze. I have to shut show down and restart

• 4 months later...
On 7/2/2019 at 5:13 PM, PhilMassey said:

The video will play when the sequence plays, either in the Sequence Editor, or the show player. Not sure if you have to maximize the window manually or if it remembers its last state. If no one posts with a definitive answer. I would run a test show and see.

Phil, I've got an issue using my show computer, which is a Dell laptop. I set up the sequence on the desktop, also a Dell, adding the mp4 file as the media file, and everything works well. When I go to play the sequence on the desktop with the SE showing, the video kicks in quickly as anticipated and plays through to the end. Then I place the sequence file from the desktop on a flash drive, along with the mp4 file, transfer both to the the show laptop. Once both files are transferred to the laptop, I re-establish a connection between the SE file and the mp4 file by selecting the mp4 file as the Media File. But when I go to play the sequence after the mp4 file has been shown as the Media File, the video doesn't open like it does when the same sequence plays on the desktop. I thought I checked all of the settings to ensure that the settings on the desktop match those on the laptop. Evidently I missed something, but not sure what. Any thoughts on why the video plays on the desktop, but doesn't on the laptop?  Thanks for any thoughts you have on this issue. 

• 2 months later...

I am having a problem with my video as well. I can get it to play back but it doesn't play full screen, just in a tiny screen and I also have changed all the settings as well that I want playback as full screen. I am trying to figure out if I have setting problem in my PC as well but, I cant find anything. 

• 9 months later...

so how do you fix the crashes? i'm having the same problem and i have pro.... 😠

first video plays fine then i get a error on the 2nd video.....

been searching everywhere on how to fix this problem and coming up empty handed.... sigh'

Well Freakshow007, I've run several tests and have yet to get the pixel spiderweb working with all smart pixels. When opening the controller box, it says all is well because the LED is a solid red, but no playback. And I've had the same issue with only the first video playing, in a loop, but the 2nd one doesn't. So I've made the decision to go back to S4 from S5 to see if there is any difference. I know that last year's show went well with the video, using S4, so I must be doing something wrong in S5, but can't figure out what it is. I'll know more tonight when it gets dark and the show starts. Hopefully I can get it up and running using the Show on Demand feature. Only time will tell.

2 hours ago, Freakshow007 said:

so how do you fix the crashes? i'm having the same problem and i have pro.... 😠

first video plays fine then i get a error on the 2nd video.....

been searching everywhere on how to fix this problem and coming up empty handed.... sigh'

What is the error message. Have you looked in the Control Panel Status Log for error messages. 

Your profile says version 5.2. If that is true you need to upgrade to at least 5.4 as there were playback delay issues before 5.3.somthing last year.

Ok, I know this is probably irrelevant but I had this same problem last year , 1st video plays fine then crash on second video.

My work around after doing many things was, in show editor , change the order. The one getting the error is the second video, I switched the order of the two videos, 1st video is now second and second video is now first. It seemed to work for me.

Hope it helps you 

• 2 years later...